Andrew Luck vs RG3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the bette

• Luck

• RG3

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
explain to me how he will lose his ability to run. also, explain to me what his running has anything to do with his passing...

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how his knee affected his passing (but not his running) this week but not last week. Was his knee reinjured?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Coming out of the combine RG3 was seen as the better passer. And in the first NFL season he appears to be the better passer. Both of these kids are tremendous. You can't slight what Luck has done though,especially given who he replaced.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
What game was his knee injured in?

Week 15. Dallas was week 17.

He was much better in week 17 than 16 but no where near 100%.
Week 16 he could barly move yet his completion ratio went up (over 66%) since he could not run.

Like I said his passing ability is better than people think, he just runs to much IMO so people don;t see the passer he is.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com

It wasn't. Morris has 200 yards and that is not normal. RG3 can throw better than most. Long distance, short throws, whatever. Sorry for the shit formatting.

17:
TEAM LEADERS
Passing:R. Griffin III100
Rushing:A. Morris200
Receiving:p. Garçon46

16:
TEAM LEADERS
Passing:R. Griffin III198
Rushing:A. Morris91
Receiving:p. Garçon89

15:
Passing:K. Cousins329
Rushing:A. Morris87
Receiving:p. Garçon65

14:
Passing:R. Griffin III242
Rushing:A. Morris129
Receiving:p. Garçon83

13:
Passing:R. Griffin III163
Rushing:A. Morris124
Receiving:p. Garçon106

12:
Passing:R. Griffin III304
Rushing:A. Morris113
Receiving:p. Garçon86

What game was his knee injured in?

Week 14. Cousins stepped in vs the Browns in Week 15.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
You act like the Colts had no running game, they still averaged about 105yards a game. If you said cardinals or cowboys, less than 80yards a game rushing, then yea I agree.
Also if Luck did not gun sling it so much then the number would be even higher for their rushing game.

Don;t get me wrong I like luck and in the pre-season games I thought RG3 was going to be a bust and Luck would do better. I think if luck can get his Ints down and Compl. rate up he will be a big star.

Attempts:

Luck = 627

RG3 = 393

Sure he has more INTs, he threw the ball 234 more times...

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
explain to me how he will lose his ability to run. also, explain to me what his running has anything to do with his passing...

You slow down with age and even more so with injuries. When the defense has to game plan around his ability to run on top of his passing skills it limits the amount of players they can drop into coverage compared to a pocket only QB like Luck. When his running ability is compromised they will be able to defend him like a traditional pocket passer.

I'm not trying to come off as RG3 hater or a Luck fanboy, I don't have a vested interest in either one of them. RG3 is a tremendous athlete and on top of that a top notch passer. Luck is a tremendous passing talent. I just think over the long term RG3 will be hampered and slowed down by injuries.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
That makes Luck's #'s look a bit better. I honestly want to see him play now just to compare style/technique & their offensive strategy.

He's calmed down quite a bit and adjusted to the speed of the game and as a result, has only tossed 1 INT in the last 4 games (the other INT on his record was a blown call by the officials that the NFL admitted was wrong).

Luck's issue at first was that he was softballing passes. He clearly was not anticipating the speed of the game. Once he started putting some heat on them, he was much better off but still tended to try to make too many plays by himself rather than eating the ball.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how his knee affected his passing (but not his running) this week but not last week. Was his knee reinjured?

because running uses a completely different set of biomechanics. every time he ran during the game, he ran, primarily, in a sagital plane. very little faking or extra fancy stuff for more yards. the lcl pulls on the lateral side of the knee, attaching to the fibular head. the orientation of the fibers allow for a walking/running motion without much stress.

however, when it's your planting foot and you use a lot of torque to throw the football, it pulls on the lcl more, which reaggravates it. it's taut in knee extension and relaxed in knee flexion. however, it is under a lot more tension upon tib-fib rotation or femoral rotation while the foot is planted. on an already sprained ligament, it causes more pain and damage.

to all humans, there's a psychological component to injuries... after having one, your body will compensate to avoid any movement or action that might reaggravate the injury. this is my theory why he threw so poorly against the cowboys. he was at a biomechanical disadvantage with his injury so he couldn't throw the way he normally would have. an injury in the knee can cause a kinematic chain of myofascial differences from normal, which could ultimately affect how much power is put behind a throw or the angle and angular momentum at which the ball is released.

it won't be until the knee is fully healed and the knee brace is removed that he'll be back at tip top form.

here's a video where you can see that you can go from having a relatively stable knee as it moves in a saggital plane and then see the affect after the knee is under stress simply by being the planting leg for a quarterback...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kWLFxvFcg

watch from 1:25 to 2:40. you'll see everything i just explained played out and why it was an issue against the cowboys, which was probably part of why they ran the ball so much that game.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
because running uses a completely different set of biomechanics. every time he ran during the game, he ran, primarily, in a sagital plane. very little faking or extra fancy stuff for more yards. the lcl pulls on the lateral side of the knee, attaching to the fibular head. the orientation of the fibers allow for a walking/running motion without much stress.

however, when it's your planting foot and you use a lot of torque to throw the football, it pulls on the lcl more, which reaggravates it. it's taut in knee extension and relaxed in knee flexion. however, it is under a lot more tension upon tib-fib rotation or femoral rotation while the foot is planted. on an already sprained ligament, it causes more pain and damage.

to all humans, there's a psychological component to injuries... after having one, your body will compensate to avoid any movement or action that might reaggravate the injury. this is my theory why he threw so poorly against the cowboys. he was at a biomechanical disadvantage with his injury so he couldn't throw the way he normally would have. an injury in the knee can cause a kinematic chain of myofascial differences from normal, which could ultimately affect how much power is put behind a throw or the angle and angular momentum at which the ball is released.

it won't be until the knee is fully healed and the knee brace is removed that he'll be back at tip top form.

here's a video where you can see that you can go from having a relatively stable knee as it moves in a saggital plane and then see the affect after the knee is under stress simply by being the planting leg for a quarterback...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kWLFxvFcg

watch from 1:25 to 2:40. you'll see everything i just explained played out and why it was an issue against the cowboys, which was probably part of why they ran the ball so much that game.

Why wasn't this an issue in last week's game in terms of throwing?

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
You slow down with age and even more so with injuries. When the defense has to game plan around his ability to run on top of his passing skills it limits the amount of players they can drop into coverage compared to a pocket only QB like Luck. When his running ability is compromised they will be able to defend him like a traditional pocket passer.

I'm not trying to come off as RG3 hater or a Luck fanboy, I don't have a vested interest in either one of them. RG3 is a tremendous athlete and on top of that a top notch passer. Luck is a tremendous passing talent. I just think over the long term RG3 will be hampered and slowed down by injuries.

let's say he slows down because he's 50... do you think he would still run faster than any quarterback in the league scrambling for a few extra yards? and how does this have anything to do with him as a passer?

look, just because rg3 CAN run doesn't mean he MUST run. his ability as a quarterback isn't defined in his ability to run. his ability as a quarterback is defined in his ability to read defenses and throw lasers and drop the ball on a dime 60 yards down the field with ease from the pocket. the running is just an extra weapon in his arsenal.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Andrew Luck. He's clearly a much better passer. One only has to look at some of the 30+ yard passes from Luck to make your jaw drop in just how perfect they are.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
if i had to choose between the 3 my first pick would be luck. RGIII is amazing and seems like a great guy. I think Luck is going to have a better overall career.

though i think any team is going to be far better with any of them.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Andrew Luck. He's clearly a much better passer. One only has to look at some of the 30+ yard passes from Luck to make your jaw drop in just how perfect they are.

Ehh, lol.

I like them both a lot.

But in the last 8 games of the season, RG3 led the entire NFL in passes over 20 yards down the field in completion percentage and success rate. The entire NFL.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ehh, lol.

I like them both a lot.

But in the last 8 games of the season, RG3 led the entire NFL in passes over 20 yards down the field in completion percentage and success rate. The entire NFL.

yea i'm not going to say one is better than the other because it is way too early to even tell, but to say "clearly" is a pretty bonehead statement. it's like he has never even looked up any stats on RG3.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ehh, lol.

I like them both a lot.

Yeah, but they looked like Tebow threw them compared to the beauty and perfection of Andrew Luck.

The ONLY reason for RG3s long balls (uh-huh-huh...balls) is because of his scrambling and run ability outside the pocket.