When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the bette

• Luck

• RG3

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the better qb?

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
Luck. Longevity is in his favor based off of his style.

While RG3 is defiantly a pass first QB, he doesn't have the pure passer skill that Luck has.

JM2C

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
To early to tell, but the big question will be how healthy can RG III stay with his style of play? That could be the difference.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
RG3 is a little better version of Michael Vick with a better brain.
Exciting players but not long term playoff qb's.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Luck has the size, skillset and mentality to have a very long, prosperous career in the NFL. Unless things *radically* change in the next 15 years he will be joining the statistical ranks of Marino, Brady, Manning, Bree's ect...all of which are traditional pocket passers. He's not going to be as fun to watch at RG3 or sell as many shoes/subway sammiches/jerseys/ect but when he's 10 years into the league he'll still be in one piece and playing.

I just fear for the long term durability of RG3 and am not convinced he will settle into a "pocket passer" role as well as Luck.

Wilson I'm not sure of. He's the oddest one of the bunch but brings a scramble ability and work effort that is hard to account for. I still don't know how good of a "true" QB he is. He's got a good arm, and a good eye for the field, but lacks the size of Luck or the speed of RG3. Don't really know what he'll be like 5 years from now.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

While RG3 is defiantly a pass first QB, he doesn't have the pure passer skill that Luck has.

JM2C

:hmm:

Luck
54.1% Completions
18 Int's
7.0 Yards/Avg
076.5 QB Rating

RG3
65.6% Completions
05 Int's
8.1 Yards/Avg
102.4 QB Rating

Luck is a gun slinger like Farve and some others. Yea he will put up a lot of yards and TDs but he will also have a lower completion rate, more interceptions, etc...

The first year RG3 is a better passer if you want quality.

Now if luck can get his completion rate up and Int's down then yea he will look better. But as of now his numbers do not back up "pure passer skill".

To early to tell, but the big question will be how healthy can RG III stay with his style of play? That could be the difference.

I agree with this 100%. I think RG3, after only 1 year, is better but long term thats another thing.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Luck is a gun slinger like Farve and some others. Yea he will put up a lot of yards and TDs but he will also have a lower completion rate, more interceptions, etc... The first year RG3 is a better passer if you want quality. Now if luck can get his completion rate up and Int's down then yea he will look better. But as of now his numbers do not back up "pure passer skill".

There's some situational things there too. RG3 has n 1600 yard rusher in the backfield to keep the defense a little more honest. Luck has to push the ball into coverage far more often.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I have not seen Luck play, but looking at those #'s I'm seeing a considerable difference. Turnovers are HUGE and he has more than TRIPLE. I guess the injury thing is a viable point, but that's because his style is different, and obviously considerably more effective.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Griffin brings a "new" dynamic to the table. Unfortunately, he will probably find that after an offseason of film study, NFL defenses are much better able to counter his uniqueness.

It happened to Newton, Vick, the Wildcat, the run n shoot, etc. and will likely happen again.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
There's some situational things there too. RG3 has n 1600 yard rusher in the backfield to keep the defense a little more honest. Luck has to push the ball into coverage far more often.

You act like the Colts had no running game, they still averaged about 105yards a game. If you said cardinals or cowboys, less than 80yards a game rushing, then yea I agree.
Also if Luck did not gun sling it so much then the number would be even higher for their rushing game.

Don;t get me wrong I like luck and in the pre-season games I thought RG3 was going to be a bust and Luck would do better. I think if luck can get his Ints down and Compl. rate up he will be a big star.

Last edited:

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
:hmm:

Luck
54.1% Completions
18 Int's
7.0 Yards/Avg
076.5 QB Rating

RG3
65.6% Completions
05 Int's
8.1 Yards/Avg
102.4 QB Rating

Luck is a gun slinger like Farve and some others. Yea he will put up a lot of yards and TDs but he will also have a lower completion rate, more interceptions, etc...

The first year RG3 is a better passer if you want quality.

Now if luck can get his completion rate up and Int's down then yea he will look better. But as of now his numbers do not back up "pure passer skill".

I agree with this 100%. I think RG3, after only 1 year, is better but long term thats another thing.

Luck threw almost as many completions as RG3 made attempts. RG3 may be a pocket passer but the game plan is built around his legs. Once he gets older or hurt and he loses his running ability and has to throw 30-40 times a game I think the number will change quite a bit.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Luck threw almost as many completions as RG3 made attempts. RG3 may be a pocket passer but the game plan is built around his legs. Once he gets older or hurt and he loses his running ability and has to throw 30-40 times a game I think the number will change quite a bit.

I'm guessing you have not watched him play? He is a very good passer and I wish they would run more passing plays. His pass's are dead on and have good power. Everytime he runs I keep thinking he will get hurt and wishs he did not do as much. Watch the youtube clips of him passing, esp long ball, he much better than people give him credit for.

The O line was weak for the redskins and they have a pile of injuries (some older players will probably not return next year). So I am hoping next season they can help that a little and have him pass more.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I've had a man-crush on Luck since his first few games at Stanford. If anything, it's intensifying after seeing him in the NFL this year.

I wonder if there's a way to kidnap him and put him in a 49er uniform...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Luck for sure. Or Wilson.

RG3 will have a much shorter career unless that offense changes.

voted Wilson just because.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the better qb?

Luck will probably follow in Payton Manning's footsteps; put up big stats during the regular season, lose in the playoffs, and be considered one of the "best ever" after winning a grand total of maybe one Super Bowl (if that).

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Incorrect. Why build it around 1 skill when he has others that are equally as effective?

I'm guessing you have not watched him play? He is a very good passer and I wish they would run more passing plays. His pass's are dead on and have good power. Everytime he runs I keep thinking he will get hurt and wishs he did not do as much. Watch the youtube clips of him passing, esp long ball, he much better than people give him credit for.

The O line was weak for the redskins and they have a pile of injuries (some older players will probably not return next year). So I am hoping next season they can help that a little and have him pass more.

I haven't watched him play all season, basing it mostly off the Dallas game. It seemed to me the whole offense was based on his legs. Not that he runs every play but that it based a lot on misdirection and the threat of him running. They did a superb job of making Ware look like the high school freshman out there playing. What I'm getting at is that once his legs are not a big threat the defense will game plan him like a regular quarter back with more defense in coverage in the secondary and not stacking up front.

If the Dallas game was not a normal game plan for them this season then disregard everything I said. Regardless I think Luck will have a longer and more successful career due to RG3 sustaining more injuries regardless of pass talent.

May 13, 2009

Rg3 does factor into the running back having the season he had. The defense is always left wondering what RG3 is going to do.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

JM2C

probably the dumbest thing i've heard so far. "he doesn't have the pure passer skill that luck has" lol... wow. what an idiot.

May 13, 2009
I haven't watched him play all season, basing it mostly off the Dallas game. It seemed to me the whole offense was based on his legs. Not that he runs every play but that it based a lot on misdirection and the threat of him running. They did a superb job of making Ware look like the high school freshman out there playing. What I'm getting at is that once his legs are not a big threat the defense will game plan him like a regular quarter back with more defense in coverage in the secondary and not stacking up front.

If the Dallas game was not a normal game plan for them this season then disregard everything I said. Regardless I think Luck will have a longer and more successful career due to RG3 sustaining more injuries regardless of pass talent.

RG3 was on one leg that game. That game was not indicative of what RG3 is as a player.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

explain to me how he will lose his ability to run. also, explain to me what his running has anything to do with his passing...