Andrew Brown; Elizabeth City, NC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Ahole judge is releasing almost nothing. Faces will be blurred, nametags will be blurred, only the eldest son is allowed to view them. Supposedly the cops are facing death threats, ya think?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Ahole judge is releasing almost nothing. Faces will be blurred, nametags will be blurred, only the eldest son is allowed to view them. Supposedly the cops are facing death threats, ya think?

What horseshit.

They seem to be going out of their way to destroy credibility of the local PD and govt attorney offices.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
What reason(s) are they giving for not releasing the videos from all the bodycams present? Because by far the most obvious one that is coming to everyone's mind is simply that they don't like what they are showing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What reason(s) are they giving for not releasing the videos from all the bodycams present? Because by far the most obvious one that is coming to everyone's mind is simply that they don't like what they are showing.
It looked like it was in jest above, but the Judge sited reports that the cops have supposedly received death threats already.
Edit: links about reason for Judge's ruling fuzzy. But, there were separate links about death threats.

Judge Rules On Release Of Police Videos Of Andrew Brown Shooting (msn.com)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Some tidbits seem to hint that the full video just might possibly, maybe exonerate the cops and put the whole case to rest, so I don't get the reluctance, threats or no.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

more lies? shocking

Chance Lynch, a lawyer who viewed the footage in private with Brown's family, said Brown was sitting in his stationary car with his hands on the wheel when the first of numerous shots was fired. Family members had previously seen about 20 seconds of the video but were shown approximately 18 minutes on Tuesday under a judge's order.

The family's lawyers say the footage contradicts statements by the local district attorney, who said in court that deputies didn't start firing until after Brown's vehicle struck them twice.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Long presser, with lots of video clips today. Hard to see how the cops could be charged.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Long presser, with lots of video clips today. Hard to see how the cops could be charged.

I got the opposite and from the press questions, the majority of those in the room did also. The officers didn't have to shoot at him, they chose to in contradiction of the use of force policy in their own police force. The AG basically made the argument that anyone in their car that does not obey police officers, whether not moving or not moving in the direction of the officers, constitutes a threat and the officers have a right to use deadly force from the moment of that perceived threat until that threat then is neutralized. Dangerous argument if you ask me.

And to selectively release the video (without going to court to do so) after arguing only the court could release the video is sketchy as it comes.

You can argue Brown is a POS. But police officers should not be judges and executioners.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I got the opposite and from the press questions, the majority of those in the room did also. The officers didn't have to shoot at him, they chose to in contradiction of the use of force policy in their own police force. The AG basically made the argument that anyone in their car that does not obey police officers, whether not moving or not moving in the direction of the officers, constitutes a threat and the officers have a right to use deadly force from the moment of that perceived threat until that threat then is neutralized. Dangerous argument if you ask me.

And to selectively release the video (without going to court to do so) after arguing only the court could release the video is sketchy as it comes.

You can argue Brown is a POS. But police officers should not be judges and executioners.
I said, I don't see how they can be charged. You going to have to prove that Brown did not drive toward the officer.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I said, I don't see how they can be charged. You going to have to prove that Brown did not drive toward the officer.
The footage I just saw on YouTube shows his car headed right at a cop.

Extremely graphic video below. Start at about the 1:13 mark.

I am not up to speed on this case but wasn't the warrant for dealing small amount of meth and cocaine? If so why we are still sending cops out to excuse a warrant in this manner for such an offense?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012

I am not up to speed on this case but wasn't the warrant for dealing small amount of meth and cocaine? If so why we are still sending cops out to excuse a warrant in this manner for such an offense?

How do you expect warrants to be executed?

"Hello good sir, could you please join me in the back of my police car?"

You're dealing with violent people, and for some reason you think it should be addressed with peacefulness? Goodluck finding someone that wants to do that and take that risk.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

He was actually turning and the cop did get out of the way. But, if they had shot him at that exact moment I wouldn't have had an issue. But they shot him after that and continued to shoot at him as he was driving away. I believe police officers should be peace officers. They shouldn't create situations where they are left no options or feel as if they have to kill someone.

Reactions: dank69

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
He was actually turning and the cop did get out of the way. But, if they had shot him at that exact moment I wouldn't have had an issue. But they shot him after that and continued to shoot at him as he was driving away. I believe police officers should be peace officers. They shouldn't create situations where they are left no options or feel as if they have to kill someone.
Its crappy footage but in the heat of the moment I think it is a tough call in this case. I am with you on why was this so escalated in the first place. I believe they were there to pickup a small time drug dealer for dealing drugs. They went in like they were impersonating seal team six going in for Bin Laden. As a country we need a missive shift on how we deal with drug addiction. The violent war on drugs was an epic failure from the beginning.

Reactions: KMFJD and hal2kilo
Nov 8, 2012

Make sure to look down to see how the wheels are turning and to what degree - and factor that in to your calculation when a giant 2-ton steel bullet is in front of you and is moving towards you and can steamroll you with the push of a pedal.

Or you know - just don't fucking run from the cops like someone with the mental capacity of a 5 year old would understand.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Its crappy footage but in the heat of the moment I think it is a tough call in this case. I am with you on why was this so escalated in the first place. I believe they were there to pickup a small time drug dealer for dealing drugs. They went in like they were impersonating seal team six going in for Bin Laden. As a country we need a missive shift on how we deal with drug addiction. The violent war on drugs was an epic failure from the beginning.

I saw the footage and don't think it was a close call. In fact, my take is that of the use of force standard for those officers; to try to get out of they way. And so, once you had gotten out of the way, why start shooting? In fact, the AG was asked whether he took that standard into account. He said "No".

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Make sure to look down to see how the wheels are turning and to what degree - and factor that in to your calculation when a giant 2-ton steel bullet is in front of you and is moving towards you and can steamroll you with the push of a pedal.

Or you know - just don't fucking run from the cops like someone with the mental capacity of a 5 year old would understand.

Nice straw man there.
My argument. 1.) At the minimum, follow the use of force standard for your jurisdiction. In this case it was to try to get out of the way. 2.) Once you have gotten out of the way and the threat has passed you (the car is driving away), there is no need to use deadly force (I believe there is case law on my side with respect to this). 2 points, no need for straw men, if you really have a rational point.

And I'm sorry, running from cops doesn't mean a cop can execute you. What fuxing world do you live in.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I saw the footage and don't think it was a close call. In fact, my take is that of the use of force standard for those officers; to try to get out of they way. And so, once you had gotten out of the way, why start shooting? In fact, the AG was asked whether he took that standard into account. He said "No".
My opinion on this one is completely uninformed and other than that short video clip I posted I have no other information on this.

Anything come out on why they went in so hot to begin with?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Nice straw man there.
My argument. 1.) At the minimum, follow the use of force standard for your jurisdiction. In this case it was to try to get out of the way. 2.) Once you have gotten out of the way and the threat has passed you (the car is driving away), there is no need to use deadly force (I believe there is case law on my side with respect to this). 2 points, no need for straw men, if you really have a rational point.

And I'm sorry, running from cops doesn't mean a cop can execute you. What fuxing world do you live in.
I am not trying to be the devil's advocate here, but what if the cop had such bad aim, and was trying to aim for the tires.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

you mean he was headed straight at the cop who kept side stepping in the same direction brown was turning, which looks like the cop was trying to "block him" form leaving? Granted, the angle of the camera, and in the heat of the moment it may not be the case, but there is nothing in that video that justifies shooting him.

This sets a very dangerous precedence, and makes every person behind the wheel of a car subject to being shot any time a police officer is in front/behind a vehicle, because now all they have to claim is "I feared he was going to run me over". Are we now going to be required to shut the car off, take out the keys and throw them on the ground to "disarm" what is now classified as a deadly weapon, outside of any kind of pursuit? Remember, you are not allowed to get out of your car when you are being pulled over, or approached by a police officer, and if you try, you are told to get back in the "deadly weapon".. aka car.

It's also unsettling that most of the video footage has been blocked from being released without a court order. Why?

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This case reminds me of the Rayshard Brooks case in some ways. There Brooks resisted and struggled with the cops, took a taser then ran, then was shot in the back.

Here, Brown tried to escape by at first using the car in a manner which I would agree was threatening to the police, but then peeled off and drove across the grass, then was shot from behind at relatively long range.

Another poster up thread was correct. The police cannot shoot someone just to prevent them from escaping. There must be an imminent threat. Perhaps they could have shot him seconds earlier when he was moving his car towards them. But after the car took off there was no further threat. At that point they were just shooting to prevent escape, not because they were in reasonable fear.

DA got this one wrong, IMO.