And this is why Texas. For using a gun to defend life and property

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The burglar was not a threat to his person or his wife at that time. I don't agree with going out and brandishing a weapon at somebody outside my home, no matter what the law allows.

Yes, let's all roll over and play dead for criminals instead of showing a bit of backbone.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
We do live in a time when guns are needed less and less. There are fewer and fewer farm boys per capita. Fewer and fewer hunters. At the same time, there is more gang violence, and more to-be-criminals walking the streets every day. I think we all agree that something has to be done.

And from here in your post I stopped reading. The assertion there is completely wrong. The "need" for guns on a RANCH since there are "fewer and fewer farm boys" as you put it is true. The need for guns hasn't changed since the founding fathers wrote the Constitution. A gun is a contingent tool. There are many different ways it can be used as an effective tool. Just like a spoon is a tool, you don't use a spoon to chop firewood. What I mean by that statement is you use the tool for the scenario is was designed for.

The anti-gunners would have you believe that the only thing a gun was designed for was to kill, main, murder, and destroy. That is incorrect. Guns were designed to protect and defend life by there mere presence. They are designed to protect the weak, the old the young, and the in-firmed. While they may take life by a certain implementation of their use, just like an axe used to chop wood can take a life or a baseball bat can take a life, their real design is to preserve life and liberty. That was how our founding fathers saw it, and that is the way it is. That need for the defense of life and liberty has never changed.

Apr 27, 2012
You're a disgusting piece of shit criminal apologist. You demonize people who protect themselves while glorifying victimhood. I hope you're on the receiving end of a few burglaries.

I agree with everything you said, These people make me sick, they care more about criminals than the victims

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You're a disgusting piece of shit criminal apologist. You demonize people who protect themselves while glorifying victimhood. I hope you're on the receiving end of a few burglaries.
:D
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right.
You might not believe in God. That is your choice.

However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you’re going to do are:

1) Call someone with a gun.

2) Pray they get there in time.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
It's not a choice not to believe in god. It's a rational conclusion.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
All those who say you need weapons to protect your home and property are idiots, thieves are most of the time unarmend and harmless, installing an alarm into house and not to forget to lock the door and close windows, the actual scene in your link was embarrassing, the dude could not stop the guy running with his TV without aiming shotgun at him. Pathetism at its beauty.
You're an idiot. Here's proof, also from San Antonio:
A home invasion on the Northeast Side ended in a gunfight in which one suspect was killed and another was critically injured early Wednesday, police said. The homeowner also was wounded.

Andrew W. Wharmby, 27, told officers he heard banging on his front door about 4:40 a.m., according to a police report. He told officers he became suspicious and grabbed his shotgun as he walked to the door.
He then heard noise in his garage, and when he saw the two men walk into his house, he shot at both. At least one of them returned fire and shot him in the face.

Police found one of the suspects — believed to be in his late teens or 20s — dead in the garage. The other was flown to San Antonio Military Medical Center in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest, police Sgt. J.R. Fiste said at the scene.

That suspect, 24, was arrested at the hospital and charged with aggravated robbery, the report states.

Police detained a third suspect, a 20-year-old woman, but released her after questioning, San Antonio police spokesman Matt Porter said.
Wharmby, the homeowner, was shot in the chin, Fiste said. He also was taken to SAMMC, and was listed in stable condition. One of the suspects had been armed with an assault rifle, which police retrieved at the scene, the report states.

Officials at Fort Sam Houston said Wharmby's name matches that of a civilian employed at the Army post, and neighbors said the young man works at a laboratory there. He is pursuing a doctoral degree in biomedical engineering at the University of Texas at San Antonio, a UTSA spokesman said.

“I didn't even know he had a gun. I didn't even think he was capable of shooting a gun,” said one neighbor, Rosalba Fletcher. “Good for him. He could have been dead.”

She and her husband, Billy Fletcher, described Wharmby as studious and accomplished. The couple said they talked to Wharmby's father and were told their neighbor was up and talking in his hospital room Wednesday afternoon.

The couple said violent crime is rare in the residential neighborhood, which they called safe and quiet.

“Police check on us, but they're not visitors,” Rosalba Fletcher said. “This is not common for us.”

Despite that, Billy Fletcher said he keeps a gun in their home, as well.
“I've got one, too, but I can't find it,” he said with a chuckle.

Rosalba Fletcher said Wharmby is “not one to spend on a lot of luxuries,” though they and other neighbors said they surmised the intruders might have been interested in taking a classic car parked in the garage.

Rex Hill, 77, a next-door neighbor, said Wharmby is shy and “very quiet.”
“I just can't understand what happened,” Hill said. “Why would somebody come in and rob the place with a rifle?”

Investigators remained at the home examining evidence through much of Wednesday. Blood droplets stained a concrete curb outside the home.

Source: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...-invasion-leads-to-fatal-gunfight-2469880.php
Both of the home invaders are now dead and the student is alive and back in good health.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I'm not a big fan of brandishing, that's all.

He was not brandishing. He was USING. Big difference. He had every intent to fire upon the thief if he thought the thief would do something that would put him or another in danger.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
He was not brandishing. He was USING. Big difference. He had every intent to fire upon the thief if he thought the thief would do something that would put him or another in danger.
And should but if the guy had continued to walk off with his TV, there's nothing he could legally do. Sad as it is.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
And should but if the guy had continued to walk off with his TV, there's nothing he could legally do. Sad as it is.

Actually in Texas, he could have shot. Legally. The guy was on his land or the private land of another in the commission of a felony. The home owner didn't even have to give the courtesy of saying hello the the thief. Could have come out with shotgun and shot him in the face without so much as a Howdy Do.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Understood but I'd probably have done the same. Glad it worked out for him.
Me too. My take on it is, don't point a gun at somebody unless you are about to shoot them. Property is not a good enough reason to get into a gun battle. If the perp had threatened or harmed somebody and I witnessed it, that is different in my book.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
While Humble beat me to it I'll just add that there is precedent to back up what he said...

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

I believe in Texas you can use deadly force to stop a felony even if your safety isn't directly threatened.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Actually in Texas, he could have shot. Legally. The guy was on his land or the private land of another in the commission of a felony. The home owner didn't even have to give the courtesy of saying hello the the thief. Could have come out with shotgun and shot him in the face without so much as a Howdy Do.
Thanks. I should have remembered that.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yep. Knowing you can lose your life over $20 in Texas has deterred a few would be thieves. Well those that know that their life is on the line whenever they do that.
What happened with the case where the neighbor called 911 because of the burgular next door and then goes out and shoots him?