And now it starts to hit mainstream media...

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Woot! Olbermann!! Olbermann!! Olbermann!!

And so it begins....

NEW YORK? Here?s an interesting little sidebar of our system of government confirmed recently by the crack Countdown research staff: no Presidential candidate?s concession speech is legally binding. The only determinants of the outcome of election are the reports of the state returns boards and the vote of the Electoral College.

That?s right. Richard Nixon may have phoned John Kennedy in November, 1960, and congratulated him through clenched teeth. But if the FBI had burst into Kennedy headquarters in Chicago a week later and walked out with all the file cabinets and a bunch of employees with their raincoats drawn up over their heads, nothing Nixon had said would?ve prevented him, and not JFK, from taking the oath of office the following January.

This is mentioned because there is a small but blood-curdling set of news stories that right now exists somewhere between the world of investigative journalism, and the world of the Reynolds Wrap Hat. And while the group?s ultimate home remains unclear - so might our election of just a week ago.

Stories like these have filled the web since the tide turned against John Kerry late Tuesday night. But not until Friday did they begin to spill into the more conventional news media. That?s when the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that officials in Warren County, Ohio, had ?locked down? its administration building to prevent anybody from observing the vote count there.

Suspicious enough on the face of it, the decision got more dubious still when County Commissioners confirmed that they were acting on the advice of their Emergency Services Director, Frank Young. Mr. Young had explained that he had been advised by the federal government to implement the measures for the sake of Homeland Security.

Gotcha. Tom Ridge thought Osama Bin Laden was planning to hit Caesar Creek State Park in Waynesville. During the vote count in Lebanon. Or maybe it was Kings Island Amusement Park that had gone Code-Orange without telling anybody. Al-Qaeda had selected Turtlecreek Township for its first foray into a Red State.

The State of Ohio confirms that of all of its 88 Counties, Warren alone decided such Homeland Security measures were necessary. Even in Butler County, reports the Enquirer, the media and others were permitted to watch through a window as ballot-checkers performed their duties. In Warren, the media was finally admitted to the lobby of the administration building, which may have been slightly less incommodious for the reporters, but which still managed to keep them two floors away from the venue of the actual count.

Nobody in Warren County seems to think they?ve done anything wrong. The newspaper quotes County Prosecutor Rachel Hurtzel as saying the Commissioners ?were within their rights? to lock the building down, because having photographers or reporters present could have interfered with the count.

You bet, Rachel.

As I suggested, this is the first time one of the Fix stories has moved fully into the mainstream media. In so saying, I?m not dismissing the blogosphere. Hell, I?m in the blogosphere now, and there have been nights when I?ve gotten far more web hits than television viewers (thank you, Debate Scorecard readers). Even the overt partisanship of blogs don?t bother me - Tom Paine was a pretty partisan guy, and ultimately that served truth a lot better than a ship full of neutral reporters would have. I was just reading last night of the struggles Edward R. Murrow and William L. Shirer had during their early reporting from Europe in ?38 and ?39, because CBS thought them too anti-Nazi.

The only reason I differentiate between the blogs and the newspapers is that in the latter, a certain bar of ascertainable, reasonably neutral, fact has to be passed, and has to be approved by a consensus of reporters and editors. The process isn?t flawless (ask Dan Rather) but the next time you read a blog where bald-faced lies are accepted as fact, ask yourself whether we here in cyberspace have yet achieved the reliability of even the mainstream media. In short, a lot gets left out of newspapers, radio, and tv - but what?s left in tends to be, in the words of my old CNN Sports colleague NickCharles, a lead-pipe cinch.

Thus the majority of the media has yet to touch the other stories of Ohio (the amazing Bush Times Ten voting machine in Gahanna) or the sagas of Ohio South: huge margins for Bush in Florida counties in which registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans 2-1, places where the optical scanning of precinct totals seems to have turned results from perfect matches for the pro-Kerry exit poll data, to Bush sweeps.

We will be endeavoring to pull those stories, along with the Warren County farce, into the mainstream Monday and/or Tuesday nights on Countdown. That is, if we can wedge them in there among the news media?s main concerns since last Tuesday:

Who fixed the Exit Polls? Yes - you could deliberately skew a national series of post-vote questionnaires in favor of Kerry to discourage people from voting out west, where everything but New Mexico had been ceded to Kerry anyway, but you couldn?t alter key precinct votes in Ohio and/or Florida; and,
What will Bush do with his Mandate and his Political Capital? He got the highest vote total for a presidential candidate, you know. Did anybody notice who?s second on the list? A Mr. Kerry. Since when was the term ?mandate? applied when 56 million people voted against a guy? And by the way, how about that Karl Rove and his Freudian slip on ?Fox News Sunday?? Rove was asked if the electoral triumph would be as impactful on the balance of power between the parties as William McKinley?s in 1896 and he forgot his own talking points. The victories were ?similarly narrow,? Rove began, and then, seemingly aghast at his forthrightness, corrected himself. ?Not narrow; similarly structured.?
Gotta dash now. Some of us have to get to work on the Warren and Florida stories.

In the interim, Senator Kerry, kindly don?t leave the country.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
According to threads here "it" began last Wednesday....then Last Thursday....then last Friday....then last Saturday.....then Sunday.....so now here we are an "it" is beginning again on Monday.

Seems to me that "it" has more false starts than my beloved Oakland Raiders offensive line.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
can we say pipe dream of the libs/dems....good luck with this Dark, you'll need it.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Played this 'IT' game before... turns out to just be a silly weblo scooter thing.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Sour Grapes - Trying to find anything to justify the redoing the election system.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
"And by the way, how about that Karl Rove and his Freudian slip on ?Fox News Sunday?? Rove was asked if the electoral triumph would be as impactful on the balance of power between the parties as William McKinley?s in 1896 and he forgot his own talking points. The victories were ?similarly narrow"

heh heh

Nosferatu f-ed up!

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sour are we?

Man...the "Peaceful and all understanding" Liberals sure seem to want to get this Civil War started.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Sour are we?

Man...the "Peaceful and all understanding" Liberals sure seem to want to get this Civil War started.

Yeah, I know, and in the face of all those attempts by the conservatives to bring the two sides together in harmony. :roll:

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Sour are we?

Yeah, I know, and in the face of all those attempts by the conservatives to bring the two sides together in harmony. :roll:

Yeah, and the Libs sure are helping in every way they can by calling us Liars , Stupid Rednecks and everything else. :roll:
Just expect the Dems to have another Loss in 2 years if they don't stop going crazy and calling a majority of the American public names.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
According to threads here "it" began last Wednesday....then Last Thursday....then last Friday....then last Saturday.....then Sunday.....so now here we are an "it" is beginning again on Monday.

Seems to me that "it" has more false starts than my beloved Oakland Raiders offensive line.

"It" is just a fantasy unless there is evidence to back it up. Are you actually saying you don't think we should investigate every possible instance of vote tampering just because your guy won? The best way to make "It" go away is for every allegation to be addressed and have it be proven that the election was as fair as it could possibly be. Right now, I think it was, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make sure of that.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke

"It" is just a fantasy unless there is evidence to back it up. Are you actually saying you don't think we should investigate every possible instance of vote tampering just because your guy won? The best way to make "It" go away is for every allegation to be addressed and have it be proven that the election was as fair as it could possibly be. Right now, I think it was, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make sure of that.
This is beginning to sound like post-invasion Iraq justifications (the ends justify the means). Win by whatever means possible.

I honestly don't think this would turn the election around and I honestly don't want it to.

I just want our election process fixed! It's a freakin' joke!

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
The Republicans could have avoided this stuff by making the system more transparent. Frankly, it seems like they are more interested in keeping things secret than avoiding controversy... odd tactic, unless you're cheating. ;)

Valvoline6

Oct 6, 2000
Bwahahahahaha Another bogus and false start. I love how the post subject sounds so ominous in all of these threads. Then you read the content and Pepsi bursts from your nose as you try to hold back the laughter. :laugh:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
eh. I'll take it seriously when it makes the front page of the New York Times. even if it's under the fold ;)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Sour are we?

Yeah, and the Libs sure are helping in every way they can by calling us Liars , Stupid Rednecks and everything else. :roll:

Hey, BOTH SIDES need to do something about this. It's not just the "arrogant elite" libs or just the "stupid redneck" conservatives at fault, it's EVERYONE. Every conservative who paints libs as hating middle America, every liberal who says conservatives are religious wackos, every politician who values cramming their own personal views down all of our throats instead of helping all Americans, every protestor that eggs the President's limo on innaguration day, every protestor holding a sign saying "God hates fags", every single person that thinks THEY aren't part of the problem.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Funny how there is supposed to serparation of Church and State yet tax free churches are where many people go to vote and 99% of the churches hate gays and abortion and those are two of the biggest things the WAR president ran on and he is Gods Chosen leader for the cows of Amerikkka

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
So, if the tin foil crowd is RIGHT, why would we have civil war? Because the right wing would bring out the guns? Who is saying anything about civil war, other than the drooling fear mongers on the right?

This may all amount to nothing, but until we know, I'd suggest that we all take a deep breath.

-Robert

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: chess9
So, if the tin foil crowd is RIGHT, why would we have civil war? Because the right wing would bring out the guns? Who is saying anything about civil war, other than the drooling fear mongers on the right?

This may all amount to nothing, but until we know, I'd suggest that we all take a deep breath.

-Robert
What board are you reading? Cause I haven't seen much of anything as you say.

I have seen plenty of civil war threads, etc. started by leftists. As well as those advocating violence and political assassination. Blinders cinched a little tight today - or do you want some quotes?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: chess9

-Robert
What board are you reading? Cause I haven't seen much of anything as you say.

I have seen plenty of civil war threads, etc. started by leftists. As well as those advocating violence and political assassination. Blinders cinched a little tight today - or do you want some quotes?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny how there is supposed to serparation of Church and State yet tax free churches are where many people go to vote and 99% of the churches hate gays and abortion and those are two of the biggest things the WAR president ran on and he is Gods Chosen leader for the cows of Amerikkka

Voting machines in a church violates separation of Church and State?
And that has something to do with being tax-exempt?
If a voting machine is in a church, are the voters somehow hypnotized into voting a particular way?
99% of churches "hate gays and abortion"?
Bush ran on a platform of "hate gays and abortion"?

I'm impressed by the sheer number of wild claims in a single sentence. I might have missed some in the deluge.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Reposting myself here, anyone want to make a similar offer to Darkhawk &amp; Infohawk, or shall I split the offer to all three of them?

Here's a post to bookmark.

If it's proven through the court system that the vote was hacked and the presidency is given to Kerry within the next 4 years, conjur has the following options:

1.) I'll personally deliver 10 cases of his choice of cookies (store bought) to him.

or

2.) I'll paypal him $1K. [/quote]

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Reposting myself here, anyone want to make a similar offer to Darkhawk &amp; Infohawk, or shall I split the offer to all three of them?

Why exactly are you baiting me? Your post is incomprehensible...