And... it's back: The ASSAULT weapons ban

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
There needs to be a mental health reform to go with this. People need easy access to health care to avoid fucking up.

Yeah that's very true. I read an article recently that said that the USA has fallen way behind on this. We basically pioneer and lead the field but don't provide the services to our population.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yes.

You can't spin this. Any reasonable person clearly sees the problem.

I don't have an emotional attachment to guns. I just simply look at the crime statistics and go "Oh, you know what, maybe we should get these idiotic weapons off our streets".

You don't need them. Ever. If you want to shoot the big guns join the army.

Banning them does nothing though. That's the point that you're missing.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Address the real argument.

US gun violence is 3x as high as other first world countries. I'm currently overseas and gun violence is 1/13 here what it is in the states.

Why do we need these guns? Worse, why do we want these guns?

Address the real argument.

Government bans don't work. In fact, government enforcement of law only works on people who choose to obey it. Case in point, alcohol. Tobacco (minors). Drugs (all ages). I'm sure we never have issues with underage kids getting drunk, driving, and killing folks. Right?

Suggesting that we hand more money to the government to further bog down our law enforcement officers, judges, and penal system with a constant parade of gun owners is folly.

I will accept liberty and freedom and the danger that goes along with it.

You, on the other hand, appear ready to accept greatly government intervention to solve all our problems.

I'll leave it for others to decide if they really believe our government can fix ANYTHING they wade into, and I gladly wait for the day when someone is actually able to present an example.

Tell me alcohol issues are any greater in countries that don't have the sky-high age limit for drinking.

Tell me if teen pregnancy is worse in countries that have far fewer restrictions on public nudity / advertising / media.

Government intervention is rarely, if ever, the answer to our problems.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
To be a devil's advocate, reloading is an obstacle. There's enough of you guys who play FPS games to realize that in situations where you might have to hit a reload soon you will make sure you reload in a safe environment, and you conserve ammunition if you're running low on a current magazine until you can safely reload.

Anyway, the point is that it's a limitation. To a trained individual say a law enforcement officer or someone in the armed forces, yeah, if you had 270 rounds broken into 9 magazines of 30 rounds or 27 magazines of 10 each, continue to shoot away while reloading isn't going to be a huge obstacle. But if you look at amateur shooters who begin to panic when things don't go their way, fumbling for a magazine can be a make or break when seconds count.

In the end this isn't the solution to end violence, but it can help curtail certain acts of violence, perhaps limiting the damage done.

LMAO, comparing real life scenario to FPS. dude, stick to reviewing phones. you obviously have never handled a firearm before.

i can eject a spent mag, grab a loaded one from my pouch, insert it into mag well, and release the slide and fire the next round in less than 2 seconds.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The statistics are just so massively against us not doing something. The numbers don't lie and they're just embarrassing.

It's time we do some serious gun control. Nobody, and I mean nobody, needs a semi automatic weapon for personal use. You don't need it for hunting and you don't need it for self defense. Your small caliber bushmaster is not going to help you defeat the government when they come knocking at your door in a humvee with a 50 caliber.

Enough already. Get these guns the fuck out of our society.

And the police should be given broad powers to enforce such a ban, including the ability to search ones person, vehicle or premises on suspicion alone or anonymous tip.:hmm:

PS: with a substantial reward to the tipper if unlawful guns are seized.:sneaky:

Last edited:

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
And the police should be given broad powers to enforce such a ban, including the ability to search ones person, vehicle or premises on suspicion alone or anonymous tip.:hmm:

PS: with a substantial reward to the tipper if unlawful guns are seized.:sneaky:

Yeah, fuck the 2nd Amendment, and fuck the 4th Amendment too. Burn the whole Constitution, it's outdated.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Yeah, fuck the 2nd Amendment, and fuck the 4th Amendment too. Burn the whole Constitution, it's outdated.

Absolutely! Because there's no WAY the writers of the constitution could understand what it's like now, so there's no way that stuff should apply any more.

After all, they didn't know about cellphones, computers, the internet....

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
The statistics are just so massively against us not doing something. The numbers don't lie and they're just embarrassing.

It's time we do some serious gun control. Nobody, and I mean nobody, needs a semi automatic weapon for personal use. You don't need it for hunting and you don't need it for self defense. Your small caliber bushmaster is not going to help you defeat the government when they come knocking at your door in a humvee with a 50 caliber.

Enough already. Get these guns the fuck out of our society.

Yes.

I don't have an emotional attachment to guns. I just simply look at the crime statistics and go "Oh, you know what, maybe we should get these idiotic weapons off our streets".

You don't need them. Ever. If you want to shoot the big guns join the army.

People that think like you should not be allowed to breed.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Nobody NEEDS anything but food, water, shelter, and reproduction. Everything else is a WANT anyway.

I need what I want and can afford. End of story.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Banning them does nothing though. That's the point that you're missing.

so how come all the other western countries with strict gun control have much less violence? Are Americans THAT different from the rest of the developed western nations?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
There is no weapon that police have that the average citizen should not be allowed to have. What is an assault weapon anyway? Is there a reason to own a pump action shotgun? Who cares? A rotary shotgun is even better. Have you ever seen pictures of riots? That is all the reason you need. When the bad guys come for you, you need more than one round.

Just take a look at Chicago. There is a gun ban there and they kill like 300-500 people a year. In most neighborhoods multiple people die every year. All the laws on earth will not protect you and the cops will not protect you either.

its because there's isn't a nationwide ban on guns, they just bring em in from another state with lax gun control laws. Police also don't seize guns, here in Canada if a cop sees a gun in a house or on anyone they immediately pull out there gun and tell you to get on the ground cause they assume the guy is a criminal, which is the way it should be! its extremely difficult to get a gun in Canada, my uncle tried to get one and just out and out gave up cause the onus was on HIM to prove he needed one.

That's another thing u guys are overlooking, YOU should prove to US that u need a gun, instead of us arguing that u don't need it. It's really disturbing that that's the way it is in the USA. Its not a toy, its not a tool for entertainment, it's designed to kill people, so why on earth do u need one?

Nobody NEEDS anything but food, water, shelter, and reproduction. Everything else is a WANT anyway.

I need what I want and can afford. End of story.

so that's why u should own a gun??? lol do you guys listen to yourselves??? i swear u sound as crazy as those muslim extremists on television.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
That's another thing u guys are overlooking, YOU should prove to US that u need a gun, instead of us arguing that u don't need it. It's really disturbing that that's the way it is in the USA. Its not a toy, its not a tool for entertainment, it's designed to kill people, so why on earth do u need one?

Bullshit, we don't have to prove anything to you, you're nobody. You don't get to take shit from anyone, no one has to prove they deserve, or need a gun, it's a right.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
so how come all the other western countries with strict gun control have much less violence? Are Americans THAT different from the rest of the developed western nations?

Yes, large population spread over a huge land mass. Russia has similar size and population and murder rates double ours and guns are banned there. We also share borders with Mexico, and you're an idiot if you don't see that central Americas crime is off the chart.

Hawaii and Alaska have western European levels of crime.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002

They don't. Crime rates are higher in the UK, Australia, and plenty of other first world countries. Educate yourself.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
300M+ people, even more guns and 20+ dead children, while tragic, and the irrationality is off the charts.

How many people get killed every year by drunk drivers again? Are we going to ban alcohol also under the similar basis that people don't need to drink and drive?

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
They don't. Crime rates are higher in the UK, Australia, and plenty of other first world countries. Educate yourself.

But how is that related to gun crime?

In 2011 German police fired, in total, 95 shots 49 of which were warning shots.

So far this year about 95,000 people in the US have been shot.

Guns very definitely kill people.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
ak47_5a.jpg

Given the way she's holding that gun I would be scared to be anywhere near that room.

The ONLY reason why I vote for her at all is because I REALLY don't want a Republican majority in the Senate.

The poster child for how NOT to hold a firearm! Shes lucky no one shot her thinking she lost it and was going to spray the crowd.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Absolutely! Because there's no WAY the writers of the constitution could understand what it's like now, so there's no way that stuff should apply any more.

After all, they didn't know about cellphones, computers, the internet....

I really hope you are being sarcastic. Those rights are in the constitution for good reasons.

When thinking of such things try to think of history like a geologist. You know what can happen from what did happen.

The constitution addresses truths and issues of governance and civilization that are just as relevant to us today as when they were written.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Of course they arent for hunting deer. But I dont think Feinstein understands why, even if she is a policy maker.

Apr 27, 2012
When will these morons learn that gun control isn't the answer, the guy had a mental health problem, if he didn't have guns he would have used something else

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When will these morons learn that gun control isn't the answer, the guy had a mental health problem, if he didn't have guns he would have used something else

I'm sure if the shooters name had been Muhamed Islam the ban Sharia Law outcry from the right would have been deafaning.

BTW - I proposed passing a mental health test before obtaining a gun license and was scoffed at. That's the way its done in the promised land.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Holy shit!

I was laughing last night to NPR when they had some other democratic senator on talking about up coming control laws. He said, "I have never heard a good reason as to why civilians need armor piercing ammo. Deer don't wear armor"

What a fucking strawman comment to make from a loon.

The Second Amendment isn't about fucking hunting deer. It's about protecting ourselves from the government in case it is ever needed. Which is how our country was formed, by the citizen civilians protecting themselves from the tyrannical government of England at the time.

If the government arms itself with better weapons, civilians need those as well in case they ever need to defend themselves from the government. It's a check and balance thing.

ALSO, it does have the added bonus of allowing normal citizens to be able to readily defend themselves from nuts like those in these recent mass killings.

Every single one of these nuts that do a mass shooting does so after methodical planning. They hit an area they know there will likely be no civilians with guns. As an even further precaution, they take the protection of body armor.

A civilian with a gun with armor piercing rounds and has trained themselves in the use of that weapon is can readily help defend others in one of those very rare events. But ONLY if civilians are allowed to carry and have the tools to do so.

So yes, guns in the hands of civilians as written by the 2nd amendment is to allow citizens to protect themselves from the government. The fact that citizen can hunt deer, or shoot skeet with guns is just a bonus for those citizens that want to partake of that.

But first and fore most is to allow people to defend themselves as guns are the equalizer. No matter how old, how infirmed, or how weak a person is, with a gun and training in its use will allow that person a reasonable defense against many threats.

Apr 27, 2012
I'm sure if the shooters name had been Muhamed Islam the ban Sharia Law outcry from the right would have been deafaning.

BTW - I proposed passing a mental health test before obtaining a gun license and was scoffed at. That's the way its done in the promised land.

We have a problem with radical Islam and them trying to put in sharia, besides I dont think a Muslim would commit this shooting.

People with mental illnesses should not be able to get guns, thats common sense.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yes.

That's just it. Politicians know they will never get the weapons off the streets so they go after what people have in their homes. The results are irrelevant as long as it looks like they are doing the right thing.

Last edited: