ancient history p4-2.4c, or so i thought...

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
i'm hoping to install win 7 64bit on one of these, and i'm getting an error saying that i don't have a 64bit processor; very disappointing. the wiki says it could be 64 bit, and on the list of pentium 4s, there is not a 2.4c listed, so maybe my memory is all wrong. anyway. i don't want to invest too much energy. should i just believe win 7 and move on?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I hope you arent trying to run Windows 7 on a pc thats over 6 years old. :eek:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Its actually pretty fast on older hardware. I have it on a p4 3.0 and a pentium M 1.7. Both are pretty snappy.
the point is that a 6 year old pc with a 2.4 Pentium 4 will likely be so irrelevant for modern tasks that whats the point in upgrading it to Windows 7?

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I believe the first 64 bit cpus from Intel were the Prescotts and only some of the model numbers, all 6xx some 5xx.

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
the point is that a 6 year old pc with a 2.4 Pentium 4 will likely be so irrelevant for modern tasks that whats the point in upgrading it to Windows 7?

I even installed Vista on 2.4c with 1.5 RAM and it ran fine. The only drawback was Vista's using more RAM than XP thus facing memory shortage when using certain applications. I bet 7 runs even better on P4 2.4c and it's highly usable given how Vista ran perfectly fine. Don't simply assume 6 years old pcs can't do modern tasks; majority of people use computers for internet, word processing, and p4 2.4ghz is more than okay.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I even installed Vista on 2.4c with 1.5 RAM and it ran fine. The only drawback was Vista's using more RAM than XP thus facing memory shortage when using certain applications. I bet 7 runs even better on P4 2.4c and it's highly usable given how Vista ran perfectly fine. Don't simply assume 6 years old pcs can't do modern tasks; majority of people use computers for internet, word processing, and p4 2.4ghz is more than okay.
well I have a nearly 6 year old Athlon XP computer and I certainly wouldnt waste my time and money upgraded it to Vista or 7.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Considering you can get a new desktop with monitor and all for $400, I don't see the point in spending half that just to upgrade the OS

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Considering you can get a new desktop with monitor and all for $400, I don't see the point in spending half that just to upgrade the OS
yep. I bought my parents a brand new pc last year for 300 bucks with dual core cpu, 2gb ram, 250gb hd and vista home premium. then I went on craigslist and sold their nearly 3 year old pc and for 150 bucks. I had also only paid 300 bucks for that pc too so a $150 loss for nearly 3 years of use was nothing. I just scratch my head when I see people bring an archaic pc into a shop and spend over 100 bucks or more just to upgrade the OS. in the end you still have an outdated comp that is a joke compared to a brand new modern entry level pc.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

You are assuming he purchased it. It could be the beta or even a free student version.

While I do agree it would be kinda silly to purchase Win7 for that age of a system when it most likely already has a fully functional OS, it will indeed perform well.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah. They were the first CPU line where overclocking would let you boil water.

Oh now that's not true. 1.4 ghz Thunderbirds could reach crazy temperatures at stock settings (the difference being that T-birds didn't seem to mind the heat so much, whereas Preshotts would throttle unless cooled very well). I had a 1.4 ghz T-bird that got very hot near the end of the machine's useful life (regularly hit temps of 74C), so much so that waves of heat could be felt coming from the case. I really couldn't run it with the side on or anything.

Not my best build evar but oh well.

Other hot-to-trot CPUs included the Cyrix 5x86 which would sometimes destroy itself during "normal" operation due to overheating.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Other hot-to-trot CPUs included the Cyrix 5x86 which would sometimes destroy itself during "normal" operation due to overheating.
Ugh, don't remind me. Had to fix/troubleshoot a lot of cheapo Cyrix builds back in the day. Even when they were running right, they were dog slow.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
im running windows 7 on a P4 3Ghz@3.8Ghz with HT, p4p800 SE, 1GB ram, and a FX5800XT. Runs buttery smooth, just need to put x32 on it as its not x64 CPU.

^--- above system even plays older games well like Titan Quest etc.

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
i didn't expect this topic to produce so much response, but thank you all.

i was really only trying to get the whole house on the same operating system, and one from the current century at that. I had pre-bought a copy of 7hp and a copy of 7pro. then i replaced my wifes cranky old machine (w2k) with a systemax 2.4 dual core celeron, 4g ram and 320g hd and win7hp for $399 at our local compusa store. the machine in question i would like to employ as a server of some sort. My own machine (well on its way to antique status as well, a q6600 on a p5n32-e sli with a couple of 8800gts cards) will get the 7pro, and i'll just use the 32bit install on the old p4. maybe its a waste to use this copy of 7 on the server machine, but i was using it as a test platform before attempting same on my own machine.

fyi, the systemax is a fine little machine, rock solid, and i got there after trying an even cheaper $350 emachine 1.7g celeron, which could not run the operating system, locked up constantly. since i already had a machine that did that, i returned it for the systemax, and its all the wife could want. and we know how important that can be...

thanks all, and a happy holiday

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yeah i ran into a simular incident.

I tried to install W7 Enterprise on my bro's lap top.
Turned out i couldnt because i forgot his p4 M doesnt have EMIT64

Had to relog on my MSDN and get the x86 version of it.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
This post reminds of me of my legendary P4 1.6a CPU from Costa Rica -- Long-Live Northwood !

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
I am running Windows 7 Enterprise in a P4 3ghz at work. Runs pretty well though but I have 3GB RAM and a Velociraptor drive in it. Now replaced with an Intel X25-M 80GB G1.