Ancient Cities

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
WOW! Thats spooky! I was just sitting in front of a wikipedia article yesterday thinking I needed a game exactly like this.

Glory hallelujah!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Looks promising. Reminds me of Banished more than Civ.

Yeah you're right it's got that banished look to it.

With Civ I meant it seems to take place before Civ does with a more primitive feel. It sounds like the game will progress through later periods like Civ does.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
is there fighting in this? I loved banished but at a point I needed some violence.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like it may be too much sim and not enough fighting/events to deal with but will keep my eye on it.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
is there fighting in this? I loved banished but at a point I needed some violence.

They said there would be raid style fighting and combat which you can also enable or disable. I read a post where it's both real time and turn based which is a little confusing.

Here's the features from their kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uncasualgames/ancient-cities

Current Features
The game is a city/world simulation where you can change time progression from normal speed to several time-lapse velocities.

This is what we already have, but still to be polished:

• In house 3D render technology and UI.
  • Procedural world generation.
  • Simulated day and night cycles.
  • Simulated seasonal cycles.
  • Weather simulation based on real data.
  • Wild animal life and plants cycle of life.
  • Farming system.
  • Step-by-step structure building and effects.
  • Resource collection and storage.
  • Family tree for citizens.
  • Character attributes.
  • AI to some extent, including path finding, job selection...
  • Citizen basic needs like eat, drink, sleep or rest.
  • Tech system.
  • Some items of each type to test the tech ( plants, animals, buildings... )
  • Decay of resources and buildings.
Final Release Features
Configure your gameplay enabling combat and natural disasters or simply relax building your beautiful city.

The world

• Discover the lands around you sending out exploring parties.
  • Factions: oher tribes competing for resources, power and alliances.
  • Cities: Populated places where you can trade or raid, with their own religion, culture and economy.
  • Migrations due to famine or sickness will spread religion, tech and culture.
  • Hunter parties will explore the map searching for hunting.
  • World events can change the course of history.
The city

• Survive the unforgiving nature building structures to live and to defend against raiders and predators.
  • Receive migration parties while taking care of your citizens.
  • Mine, Chop, Crop, Gather, Hunt and Fish for resources, but be aware they are finite.
  • Craft tools, weapons, food and other manufactured resources if you know how to do it.
  • Plant, seed, crop and storage for the winter. But remember that nothing lasts forever.
  • Take care of your animals and protect them from predators.
  • Fight back your enemies, trade, hunt and explore beyond your city walls. Or wait for others AI factions to come to you.
  • Praise your gods for faith and political power, fight against other religions. spread your faith...
  • Politics.
  • Lots of more building types, clothes, animals, etc...
The citizens

• Citizen traits, religion and culture.
  • Sickness can decimate your people.

Reactions: JSt0rm

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Dang, looks like it might be pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to it coming out!

Feb 25, 2011
Have you played that recently? I think it's been a year for me and wondered if they made any big improvements?

I've played the latest version, but it's been a few months for me too.

Being able to juggle multiple colonies and the convoy system makes for some interesting mechanics, but there's not a lot to do with them yet.

Unfortunately, the last blog post is from June, so maybe things have stalled a bit. :-(

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Literally the first time I'm reading and hearing about this one.

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye on it.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Did you play it? I was thinking of buying it, but after watching a stream it didn’t seem so deep. Though it wasn’t terribly expensive.
I had the exact same feeling after watching some reviews and game streaming. I have a soft spot for this kind of games, but with my huge backlog I'll wait for it to drop to around $10 or see if the dev would make a major content update.