ANC or Strong Isolation - Listening to music near other speakers

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Long story short, my "office" is now moving to my living room. Wife is always in there watching TV and I'd prefer to not hear The Bachelor or Grey's Anatomy over my music or whatever it is I've got going on in my ears. Primary desktop cans are X2HR's or AD700's so they basically keep nothing out although if I blast the volume up enough in the X2's it can drown some stuff out.

Many people have suggested either 1000XM3 or Lagoons. My only hesitation is A) having to charge them all the time and B )I assume I'm paying mostly for the ANC feature so I'd wager the sound quality won't be as good as my Fidelio's. I thought maybe another option is just really strong isolation from a tight clamping closed back with thick pads. Maybe something like Beyer 177x GO could work? Still running off schiit stack.

What's your take on this?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'd say look into a closed back headphone or an In ear module. I've never heard the Beyer 177x GO, but that's the idea.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
The 177x is a mass drop product but I've seen some popping up on ebay.

I figured cup size/type and clamping force would be the two contributing factors to how well a headphone can isolate?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The 177x is a mass drop product but I've seen some popping up on ebay.

I figured cup size/type and clamping force would be the two contributing factors to how well a headphone can isolate?
I would agree with that.
I know that you don't want to have to charge them, but the Sony wh-1000xm3 gets around 30 hours per charge. They sound pretty good for the price.
You should order a pair from a store with a good return policy, and see what you think.

Mar 11, 2004
What about getting headphones for your wife? Some wireless Bluetooth ones or something that she might be able to use elsewhere as well.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
So i ended uo getting my wife the Sony 1000MX3's. So far they work just fine for her and she's happy. I don't quite love the tonality and stock sound signature but... they'll mostly be used by her so it's all good.

Now this means I can save up for a better pair of opens for my gaming rig :D

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So i ended uo getting my wife the Sony 1000MX3's. So far they work just fine for her and she's happy. I don't quite love the tonality and stock sound signature but... they'll mostly be used by her so it's all good.

Now this means I can save up for a better pair of opens for my gaming rig :D
You can EQ those I think pretty well. I have the SMTW2's and they sound great as is. Living the wireless life is fantastic

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
You can EQ those I think pretty well. I have the SMTW2's and they sound great as is. Living the wireless life is fantastic

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yup I have EQ'ed them and now I actually prefer them over my MDR1A's lol. I find myself stealing them from her.

I also bought some HD660's now that she's got these :D :D