AnandTech's host is back offering a VERY HOT deal, $1 for 6-months of Web Hosting!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
shoot, I didn't realize this before ordering...I had intended to host a blog/site for my mom, dad, and sister. Is it possible to convert to a reseller account?

Unfortunately we cannot as the reseller cloud is on another set of servers, a different network segment, and it's on an unbranded and generic domain as there is no mention of Cloud Web anywhere on those. You would need to sign up for a reseller plan. We're currently discounting those 25% off for life.

Dealbuyer

Jul 30, 2003
Just signed up for this Awesome hosting deal - I was blown away by the amazing feature set available - The sign up was super easy, and the confirmation emails were lightning fast - All I can say is: Wow and Thank you Cloud Web! - Really looking forward to using the service.

ghouldini

May 26, 2000
Hi! Got a couple of questions for you.

How long is this offer running till?

Is it only for Anandtech members?

I have been a mod at a couple of computer help forums, and Admin at a really low traffic one now. There the owner there gave me some space, but I never did anything with it other than store some pics and files for others to DL. I am sure that space isn't big enough to have like my own forum on it, and I am not sure I would do one, but have been thinking about it.

So is this account offered here big enough traffic wise to host a small forum?
Like could it handle like maybe a 3rd of the traffic Anandtech does. Maybe a 1/4?
Anand's a pretty big traffic bandwidth wise, so maybe even a 10th is more than enough.

Also, I got a friend who we bought our show cats from, who sells American Shorthair cats via a web site she gets from Yahoo for way too much per month IMO.
She is not an Anandtech member though.
I got her a better deal quote than her Yahoo deal from the web host of decent sized help forum (Amazingtechs via prevohosting.com) I used to mod at. She needs the "setup" help big time if she switches from Yahoo.

I thought maybe I can get this for her if it has to be through a member, or we could share it.
But if I ever did more than just some web page or blog thingy, I don't think I want to be sharing if bandwidth issues get interesting. Besides you say this is for single usage, correct?

IOW's can she get this deal on her own, or thru me, or shared on me (just us 2), or is ineligble?

If you are real familar with bandwidth needs by just looking at one's site, I can PM/email you a link to her site. The most I would ever need bandwidth wise would be similar to the help forum I admin at now (lurkhere.com).

Also, what if somebody takes the deal, but never gets round to really using it.
I suppose if one still pays the monthly fees after the 1/2 year is up, that wouldn't matter.
Or do you only want those that will use it for sure to get in on it?
I know for sure I wouldn't be doing anything with it till the snow flies here in Michigan. Just no time right now. I also got some webpage from my ISP to use (10mb or something - Earthstink). I'd use the forum space I got before that though.

Obviously my knowledge of webpages and hosting is lacking. Just never got into that yet.

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
Hello and thanks for your interest.

The promotion will only be going on another few days. It's about to be pulled.

A forum will be fine, but definitely not one nearly this large. There is a cluster of dedicated servers just for this forum, whereas the Cloud Web service is a shared hosting service.

She could sign up too for the promotion, that would be fine. No sharing of accounts is permitted. Our tech's are available 24/7 and can assist with transferring the site over to us.

The CIRRUS Ultra plan is 250GB of transfers, so as long as it is within those limits and not exceeding CPU/RAM allocations then it would be fine.

In a deal like this, we are taking a risk that some accounts will cancel after the 6 months are up. It's just the nature of it unfortunately. So if that is your intention, then by all means go for it. You may surprise yourself and make use of the service and decide to keep it. If not, our system will notify you in advance of the upcoming renewal and any charges so you will have time to make a decision.

We believe in a very honest, and pro-active communication business. Sure we would like to recover the losses but we do not consider it wrong or unethical if you were to cancel after the 6 months.

Thank you though for your honesty and inquiry. Your kind of attitude is rare among customers. :)

ghouldini

May 26, 2000
I gave her the info and the link to your web page with the 3 options.
Since she got somebody to fix her metatags so she got higher on the google hits, she's afraid to mess with it. She pays 13.95 mo for the Yahoo. Not sure what package it is as Yahoo seems vague from page I looked at there. I'll bet your 4.95 mo deal would be similar and she might be better off with that. Her page is doing good, and she even has a Russian guy flying over to buy a cat.
My bet is she drags her butt before letting me know what she wants to do.

hmmm, the 4.95er might be good for me as well.
I should see what I really got in a page/space from my forum pal. We have a dedicated server (he owns the box) so I may have as much space as I want. Just traffic maybe an issue.
Like I said, I don't really know enough about web site building yet.

Thanks for the info.

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
Switching to us won't have a negative effect on Google rankings. If anything, it will be better as one of Google's ranking algorithm is load times. Seeing as our Cloud is made up of top-quality Intel Nehalem servers, and we average less than 20% loads sites will load very fast. Yahoo has a habit of loading their servers significantly more so at times (especially when customers are performing backups) it can go quite slow.

The $4.95 standard package is a good deal too. If you and her want to do that, drop me a PM directly and I will provide you with a coupon to have the first month for $1. We're going to be closing this thread shortly so just send me a PM and I'll get you some coupons.

Also, find out how much transfers the site(s) use now and I can tell you for sure how that will work. More than likely it is using smaller amounts of traffic, but we can make sure. The current host should provide tools to figure that out.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Hi Jason,

I just did submitted an order via PayPal but I did not get a "checkout" with Paypal screen like I normally do.

What to do now? (Should I just send the amount due manually by Paypal and reference my invoice # below?)

Invoice #6241
Invoice Date: 08/18/2010
Due Date: 08/18/2010

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
We require a PayPal Subscription, but I went ahead and enabled the Checkout for you to pay this particular invoice. In the future, it will need to revert to a Subscription though. Thanks!

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
We require a PayPal Subscription, but I went ahead and enabled the Checkout for you to pay this particular invoice. In the future, it will need to revert to a Subscription though. Thanks!

Thanks, I didn't know what a Paypal Subscription even was.

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
No problem. Subscription's actually help us with verification further (you have to be a Verified account to use PayPal subscriptions), and it allows a charge to automatically be done without manually making it which is a nice convenience for you.

With subscriptions we permit modifications of that subscription, and of course anyone can cancel the subscription right through their PayPal account as well at any time.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I'm also interested in knowing if this offer still stands? I've been pretty busy but got the OK from work to start a web site as our current web site, which is contracted through a 3rd party sucks rocks.

hellotyler

Jul 19, 2010
Another interested party checking in. I'd like to host a (hopefully) active wordpress blog. Still available ?

CloudWeb

AnandTech Host
May 11, 2005
www.cloudweb.com
Thank you for your continued interest. We have discontinued the original deal, however we have modified it to accept 5 more orders at the following discount:

1 month of service for $1 on the highest plan, the CIRRUS ultra, then only $9.98/mo thereafter. You can visit THIS LINK to order.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
If you were wanting to get on this expired deal check out cookiehost.

Cookiehost is still offering their $5/$8/$11 plans for a year hosting. Has most all the features regular people will need and a lower price than this host.

Their monthly pricing after a year is much more reasonable than anands host is. I've used cookiehost for a couple years now with no major troubles to speak of. No host is perfect but they've been pretty good overall.

http://www.cookiehost.com/ccc.php

Jason

Last edited:

Not my fault

Jun 27, 2006
If you were wanting to get on this expired deal check out cookiehost.

Cookiehost is still offering their $5/$8/$11 plans for a year hosting. Has most all the features regular people will need and a lower price than this host.

Their monthly pricing after a year is much more reasonable than anands host is. I've used cookiehost for a couple years now with no major troubles to speak of. No host is perfect but they've been pretty good overall.

http://www.cookiehost.com/ccc.php

Jason

Buyer beware for CookieHost.

I've never heard of them, so I did a little digging. I find it odd that their WHOIS information is private, their SSL certificate is a low-level domain control validation certificate only, and I could not find their ToS/AUP without some serious digging. There is no contact information or legal company information on their website. Once I did find it, they claim to have jurisdiction in NY but I checked NY's DOS and there is no registration for "CookieHost" or "CookieHost.com" or anything of the sort. In NY, you are supposed to register your business name even if it's just a DBA.

Digging deeper I found this thread posted HERE which states the company is actually in Israel, they're obviously using outsourced phone support representative's that can only create tickets (they know nothing of the company or have any access to anything), and more than likely it goes back to one person as this company is obviously very small. They also use 2CheckOut as their payment method which is not a merchant account provider. They are a high priced processor who typically processes international and/or high risk accounts. They have very high fees in comparison to real merchant accounts and processors.

I found only one main shared IP address and a single server, named for this company which has 700+ domains being hosted on it including their own so they don't even have another hosting environment for their own accounts including their billing and support system which is a security concern and obviously far from PCI compliance. The server is hosted in Tampa, FL, so they at least have their actual hosting done in the US. But the server is running FreeBSD 6.4 which is nearly a two year old OS release, is not under development, and nearly EOL. It's running MySQL 4.1.25 which is a nearly two year old release, and is EOL'd. The server is running on a single local access SCSI drive with no RAID or mirroring. Obviously this is as far from Cloud as you can get.

So yeah, the bottom line is you get what you pay for. There is a reason this host is dirt cheap and if you can accept all of that and more then all the more power to you. But to compare it with Cloud Web is like comparing Taco Bell to Morton's. It's in a whole other world.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Huh? I've used cookiehost for a long time now and many others as well who has no problems. You obviously don't have any experience with them. You need to check out webhostingtalk.com if you want true reviews of a host in the real world. Where they are at isn't the biggest concern, its the service, features, and all around cost that matters. Like I said, they haven't been absolutely perfect but they do a good job overall. Especially the bang for the buck.

And like I said they have all of the obvious features that regular people needs. For example my programming websites doesn't need unlimited email accounts, ssl, unlimited subdomains, 500gb of space nor 500 gb of bandwidth. Blogs, Photo gallery and typical stuff most people would care to do would be served very well and doesn't need higher end features nor need a huge amount of space or bandwidth. Thats all my post was for. I claimed nothing else.

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003
Thank you for your continued interest. We have discontinued the original deal, however we have modified it to accept 5 more orders at the following discount:

1 month of service for $1 on the highest plan, the CIRRUS ultra, then only $9.98/mo thereafter. You can visit THIS LINK to order.

Can I get a deal? I have a few websites from a few different providers, I'd like to move everything to one company that will lock me in on a price. You can PM me or reply back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.