Anandtech's 5770 Rev 2 cooler review.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Seems to me the difference of 2 c is nothing. Am I missing something?
I think the original cooler looks much nicer. If it only is a difference of 2c. Who cares? Plus the old shroud type puts heat out of the case.

That review read like a paid endorsement to me.
Opinions?

Last edited:

Yowen

Nov 22, 2004
Its cheaper to produce this way, resulting in a $10 pricecut. That was good news to me, as I was already planning on getting one. I do admit its weird that people have reported getting these rev2 cards a while back. and its not news till now?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I would glady pay the extra 10$ for the cool looking ones if the performance was about equal. The noise is a little more but, who hears there cards when loaded? My headphones or speakers eliminate the noise when I game ,and they kick back to low fan speed otherwise correct?

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I say the Rev.2 cooler is nothing but a plus.

#1. Lowers production costs
#2. Allows the GPU to run cooler
#3. Reduces noise levels ( a big +++ for HTPC users like myself )

Seems the only upside of the orig cooler is the fact that it puts the hot air outside of the case which tbh is not a prob for most PC's.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I say the Rev.2 cooler is nothing but a plus.

#1. Lowers production costs
#2. Allows the GPU to run cooler
#3. Reduces noise levels ( a big +++ for HTPC users like myself )

Seems the only upside of the orig cooler is the fact that it puts the hot air outside of the case which tbh is not a prob for most PC's.

#1 agreed
#2 will you really notice 2c? And not enough data in the article to support the 2c difference. (Could vary 2c from case to case.
#3 noise is irrelevent with a HTPC setup. There is no 3d load so fan is virtually silent with both versions.

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
#1 agreed
#2 will you really notice 2c? And not enough data in the article to support the 2c difference. (Could vary 2c from case to case.
#3 noise is irrelevent with a HTPC setup. There is no 3d load so fan is virtually silent with both versions.

Well, you asked for opinions and yes all noise matters with an HTPC and 2*C drop in temps for free is what some people sacrifice an hour and $10 in sandpaper for to lapp a HSF in order to get the same reduction so I'd say getting the reduction for free is nice.

And honestly you're countering everyones input on the matter so it seems you already have your mind made up so in the future don't ask for opinions if you are going to tell everyone thiers is wrong. There is no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Also, a paid endorsement would be if the new HSF was worse in every way but AT still tried to push it so you're definition of a paid endorsement is a tad off as well. The way I see it this new HSF is worth a review as noone ever reviews seemingly insignificant changes made during production but I'm glad they did with this one because I would have thought the new HSF was worse from looking at it but now I know better and I would rather have the new HSF than the old by far.

Last edited:

Yowen

Nov 22, 2004
hah. I dont buy my cases with windows in them, so I couldn't care less about looks, I go for function.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
to me, the looks don't really matter as I only look inside a few times a year

Temps do matter. 2° C is small but I'll take it vs. 0.

Noise also matters to me.

And honestly you're countering everyones input on the matter so it seems you already have your mind made up so in the future don't ask for opinions if you are going to tell everyone thiers is wrong. There is no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Yes!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Well, you asked for opinions and yes all noise matters with an HTPC and 2*C drop in temps for free is what some people sacrifice an hour and $10 in sandpaper for to lapp a HSF in order to get the same reduction so I'd say getting the reduction for free is nice.

Never said you were wrong?
Just giving you counter opinions.

It's is a thread I started and I moderated as I please.
Once again I never said you were wrong and if it is you who is insulted in some way then go elsewhere.

Last edited:

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Its cheaper to produce this way, resulting in a $10 pricecut.
Okay, where's the price cut? The reference card was originally around $150, then it got bumped up to $160. They're still $155-185 depending on brand. Where's the $140 card? Where's the savings?

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There is no such thing as a counter opinion.

An opinion is an un-biased personal description of how an individual feels about something so how can you counter that?

You made your opinion in your OP so when someone posts thier opinion then you "counter" it you are disagreeing with thier opinion thus telling them that thier opinion is wrong.

You stated your opinion on the new HSF, fine. Your right as a US citizen. I stated mine and made no comment on how you felt about yours, then you tried to tell me that my opinion was flawed?

Okay, where's the price cut? The reference card was originally around $150, then it got bumped up to $160. They're still $155-185 depending on brand. Where's the $140 card? Where's the savings?

NewEgg currently has the cheapest card with a Rev.2 cooler for $162 shipped and the cheapest one with the orig cooler is $170 shipped. Hmm, where is it indeed =.=

Also, prices for the new cards are a bit jacked because Nvidia can't counter ATI this round and ATI knows it so it's standard price gouging made possible by the high demand to have the best product forseeable for the next few months. Basically, its the consumers fault that prices are going higher while ATI's production costs stay the same or lessen. If we didn't clamour for ATI's new toys then ATI would respond with stagnating or dropping prices but we all gotta have whats new and ATI is charging a premium for that. This is nothing new so I don't see why anyone would be supprised.

Last edited:

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
The new cooler produces 44/47dB idle/load noise compared to 46/53dB for the old one. I'm sorry but that's a significant, noticeable difference which is to me worth a hell of a lot more than the fact that it "doesn't look as cool". Toss in the fact that it cools slightly better, makes the card cheaper to produce, half an inch shorter and probably a bit lighter too... how anyone can argue that it's not a great improvement is beyond me.

The fact that it doesn't dump heat directly out of the case isn't a big deal because the card produces so little heat to begin with. Noise levels should be the number one concern and by the looks of it they've taken what was already good and made it even better.

I just ordered one :)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Really ? I didn't know the human ear could tell the difference between 4db.
And it's lighter? OK
Hmmm ok.

Never said it wasn't an improvement. My POINT was the Article made it out to be The greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly.

Quote...

Opinions?

Last edited:

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
6dB. dB is a logarithmic scale and a 6dB increase equates to 4x the volume intensity. Even a 1dB increase is noticeable (barely). Yes, you would absolutely notice the difference in noise between these coolers.

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
Opinions?
Hi all, your friendly neighborhood AT editor here.

I had several reader requests come in after the Rev 2 cards started shipping, asking about the performance of the cooler. I specifically went to XFX and asked them for a Rev 2 card for this review. If the review reads like an endorsement, that's because the Rev 2 cooler is that much better than the Phoenix cooler (seriously, I wasn't expecting a difference anywhere near what we got).

The fact of the matter is that XFX isn't the only one using that cooler, they're just the guys that were willing to send us a card with it. That said we're always thankful when a vendor fulfills a card request, since that represents a real cost for them.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Really ? I didn't know the human ear could tell the difference between 4db.
And it's lighter? OK
Hmmm ok.

Never said it wasn't an improvement. My POINT was the Article made it out to be The greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly.

Quote...

Opinions?
It's cheaper, quieter, smaller, cools better and you STILL ask why it should be the better product? I'm not sure what you want from a cooler, but I think we covered all the areas most people care about :p

The article didn't "made it out to be The greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly" (if we're at it, who likes that stuff anyhow?), it just showed that it was the superior product based on objective benchmarks (I hope you won't argue that they forged them.. there are enough forums about conspiracy theories out there, for me I'll trust Ryan)
Also almost all (all?) manufacturers sell cards with the new cooler so it's not as if XFX was the only one and had any reason to sponsor AT..

Did you buy a shrouded cooler and don't want to admit that the new one is better?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Hi all, your friendly neighborhood AT editor here.

I had several reader requests come in after the Rev 2 cards started shipping, asking about the performance of the cooler. I specifically went to XFX and asked them for a Rev 2 card for this review. If the review reads like an endorsement, that's because the Rev 2 cooler is that much better than the Phoenix cooler (seriously, I wasn't expecting a difference anywhere near what we got).

The fact of the matter is that XFX isn't the only one using that cooler, they're just the guys that were willing to send us a card with it. That said we're always thankful when a vendor fulfills a card request, since that represents a real cost for them.

:rolleyes: Much better?

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
The new cooler is better to the point that AT had only had positive things to say about it because there are virtually no drawbacks. It would only read like a paid endorsement if the cooler was the same or worse than the original and they still heaped on the praise. Instead, they objectively reviewed the new cooler, noted it was better in two key aspects and cautiously recommended that there was no real reason to buy the old one.

Look at the original review of the 5770 and mentally slot in the new results into those graphs to get an idea of the scale. That improvement comes for free. In fact, more than that, it actually lowers the cost of the card.

I'm not sure what you're not getting here.

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
:rolleyes: Much better?

It could be like BFG's back-asswards HSF they put on the 9800GT's that blew the air directly into the middle of the case while BFG said it was a better cooler but was worse in every way dang near. Now that was an epic fail and if that had been reviewed then promoted as if it was the best thing since Jiffy peanut butter and Smuckers grape jam then I'd be a lil ticked off.

And I'm sorry to the above blasphemer but if I see another person diss PB&J I'ma lose something and it won't be my mind because lets face it, thats was lost a loooong time ago -.-

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
It could be like BFG's back-asswards HSF they put on the 9800GT's that blew the air directly into the middle of the case while BFG said it was a better cooler but was worse in every way dang near. Now that was an epic fail and if that had been reviewed then promoted as if it was the best thing since Jiffy peanut butter and Smuckers grape jam then I'd be a lil ticked off.

And I'm sorry to the above blasphemer but if I see another person diss PB&J I'ma lose something and it won't be my mind because lets face it, thats was lost a loooong time ago -.-

I love peanut butter and jelly.:thumbsup:

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
The funny part is that back when the Rev 2 first started getting shipped out, people thought it was the same as the 5750 cooler and that they were getting something inferior than what they'd ordered. If you google it you can see people who were so mad about being sent the "inferior" egg cooler that they returned their cards or sold them on at a loss, then frantically scoured the web for retailers selling the "good" version :D

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The funny part is that back when the Rev 2 first started getting shipped out, people thought it was the same as the 5750 cooler and that they were getting something inferior than what they'd ordered. If you google it you can see people who were so mad about being sent the "inferior" egg cooler that they returned their cards or sold them on at a loss, then frantically scoured the web for retailers selling the "good" version :D

And after reading this they are all doing the face-palm :)

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I've seen most people reporting bigger temperature differences than that (v1 vs v2). Plus, it's quieter. It also seems to OC better on the v2 cooler.