Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Folding@Home of course. :-)

They had a minor client update which among else added this option (besides the previous options Alzheimer, Cancer etc.).

Reactions: Assimilator1

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Folding@Home of course. :-)

They had a minor client update which among else added this option (besides the previous options Alzheimer, Cancer etc.).

Had another crash this morning, i got some driver irl less or more crash message AGAIN, i forgot the exact wording but its pointing towards system corruption or ram. I figured since Windows 10 REFUSES to update even to 1903 since i made the fatal mistake apparently of pausing updating and turned back on and a mix of my ram. I got fed up and said hell with this non sense and i put 1.4v to the ram. I got XMP enabled ZERO tweaks besides voltage now. Apparently QVL could mean jack all, isn't that nice.

I will have to format again anyways when my new nvme gets here, but seriously nothing outside of a nuclear warhead will get W10 to install 1903. It keeps prompting me and on the reboot its like ground hog day over here STILL asking for a reboot to install it. It has downloaded already like 3 times too? I went around the house yelling for Bill Murray to get me away from this thing.

Going out of town so it would be nice to come back to the desktop fully stable folding away. Lets hope the memory voltage bump did it. Catch you guys later. :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Install 1909. I think thats the latest version.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Not sure why but second time this week a Wu has decided to get stuck at 0%, anyway besides ANOTHER reinstall to perhaps dump this wu for a new one? Been stuck for a while, its simply not gonna work out here. This is for Folding@Home.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
That one thing is my biggest gripe about the F@H client. BOINC gives so much more control over data transfers. F@H is happy to sit forever, literally, never allowing work again, when something gets stuck.

LOL its a good thing i am stuck in quarantine where i could babysit this thing then huh? :) Not dropping out of this team cause of this issue, i now know how to fix this if it happens again thanks to you! :) Not planning on a single trip anywhere till mid june. Heck i made sure i was so set i got more indica then food when we talk about how long i could sit in my fortress of isolation. :D I am BEYOND good here.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Eek! ;)

And yea the F@H program is pretty poor in some ways, getting stuck on WUs, not to mention the fragmented preferences/config option placements.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Eek! ;)

And yea the F@H program is pretty poor in some ways, getting stuck on WUs, not to mention the fragmented preferences/config option placements.

Yeah for the gpu i wouldn't mind something like BOINC where i could select how much of the gpu i could use. I found myself enjoying a bit of Skyrim this morning and the 1080ti was using like 40% max with maxed out 1080p settings with a locked 60fps. It felt so wasteful that i couldn't tell Folding@Home to use the rest of it. Most of what i play is like this and i can't stress enough how wasteful this is.

I think Folding@Home should consider adding this config option BADLY to their client.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Sounds like you need more mods and an nice enb ;)

(I usually turn the gpu off when gaming and boinc cpus to 50% or off completely, depends on the game)

I do the same exact thing, except this morning i did turn it up to 76% usage and i was still hitting 4ghz on this 3900x while hitting like 86% usage overall. So many of my games are older that i could set it to 76% and be good on everything i currently play.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea same, for modern games anyway, for Elite Dangerous & shut GPU crunching as it can cause stuttering & I drop CPU BOINC to 50%.
For StarCraft remastered I don't have to bother to do anything ;)

Reactions: mopardude87