Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks for the update & stats Stefan :)
Damn output's dropped!

Btw, what do you guys use/do to check GPU stability after tweaking? I'm looking at under-volting & underclocking my RX 580, but I don't really want F@H offline for ages.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Day 17: Saturday, April 4
14:00 UTC stats
(10 AM EDT, 7 AM PDT)
links: official race stats, TeAm AnandTech at EOC, Tom's Hardware at EOC

Daily production
View attachment 19156

Our advantage
View attachment 19157

Oops, production went down like a rock. :-/
Maybe we'll get busier again next workweek.

Edit: I looked at the top teams at EOC, and "last 24hr" went down for all of them compared to their "24hr Avg", with the exception of team VMware.
Stats haven't run for at least 9 hours if you look at EOC, every time period says 0 which of course can't be right.

Reactions: IEC

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
An excerpt from https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
I think you guys broke Folding@Home...04.03.20, 7:47pm CDT
It looks like the F@H servers have been getting hit pretty hard these past couple days. When things get overloaded, the stats feed become the low priority on the update list (hence, all the 0 updates). Rest assured, any WUs you send back to the servers are safe and will get processed eventually, just please be patient! The F@H team has been diligently bringing more servers online, but I think there are so many idle clients out there it still far exceeds all the new capacity.
In case you missed the news the other day, the F@H project has broken the (x86) exaFLOP barrier! With over a million devices currently online (79,498 AMD GPUs / 356,065 Nvidia GPUs / 593,983 CPUs), you guys are setting new records left & right! .....

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Took me a while given i never deliberately throttled a gpu before but i found enabling a 80cel temp limit REALLY makes life easier. Look below, i am beyond hyped i was able to go to bed and just leave it as is. Worked like a charm :)

Oh btw been busy modifying my basket in Newegg for the upcoming upgrades and well with any order they are supplying for $5 5 masks.....NOT kidding everytime i remove a item to replace with another it promps this offer.

Edit: i added them to the cart lmfao, even if when i order depending on stimulus or on next check well there may be none left!

Last edited:
Reactions: Assimilator1

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
No worries, thought I was missing out! ;)

borandi
I see you're in the UK too, where abouts? I'm in the west of Surrey (2nd highest infected county!).

Reactions: Leeea

hbaade

May 15, 2013
I found my old EVGA GeForce GTX 280 in my closet and was wondering if it would even be worth it to put it to use. I am currently using my EVGA GeForce GTX 960. Any thoughts would be great and thank you in advance.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Oops, production went down like a rock. :-/
Maybe we'll get busier again next workweek.

Edit: I looked at the top teams at EOC, and "last 24hr" went down for all of them compared to their "24hr Avg", with the exception of team VMware.
Stats haven't run for at least 9 hours if you look at EOC, every time period says 0 which of course can't be right.
EOC managed to snag an update at 12pm CDT. This caused the "last 24hr" data to move up again, quite near to (but still below) "24hr Avg", which is a 7-days average.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hmm, not necessarily, although I haven't tried it recently, I know when I've forgotten to pause F@H in the past it's caused severe stuttering in games. Atm I pretty much only play Elite Dangerous these days (although I'm looking at older games again with the extra spare time I have!), stutters at the wrong time can be lethal in that game ;).
Is project hospital a turn based game?

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Depends on how the game uses the GPU, it really does.

EOC says I have 79.8m
FAH says I have 84.5m

When EOC is able to do an update, it's going to spike a fair bit.

NOW IS THE TIME TO PUSH

In other words

IT'S HAMMER TIME

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I finished Rosetta@home a few hours ago and have switched dual-processor computers to F@h again. But today I am repeatedly getting failures of the type of "There is no domain composition for __ ranks that is compatible with the given box and a minimum cell size of __ nm". I am trying smaller slot sizes, and slot sizes which can be factored into 2 and 3, but I'll probably give up on this and rather save on electricity costs.