Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You're extrapolating one day into three weeks.
Why not extrapolate the last week into the next four.
As you've noticed, the amount of work is being highly variable - one day it's 70% busy, then next is 50%.
I have to take the negative approach.... To get people motivated !

BTW, I am up to 16 million ppd, and only 4 cards not running (8 running) and only 4 units stuck sending.

Progress ??!! >????

Reactions: Daishiki

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Amazingly enough with zero interference the gpu is now folding too! I had to replace stock fans and i got some 1200rpm 56cfm Fractal 120mm fans on it and well i am hitting 89 cel. Idk if thats a good temp that is safe long term? Before stock fan crap out, i usually hit about 76cel. I prob need better 120mm fans....i would replace shroud but from china its not here till may.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Amazingly enough with zero interference the gpu is now folding too! I had to replace stock fans and i got some 1200rpm 56cfm Fractal 120mm fans on it and well i am hitting 89 cel. Idk if thats a good temp that is safe long term? Before stock fan crap out, i usually hit about 76cel. I prob need better 120mm fans....i would replace shroud but from china its not here till may.
Video cards seem to do better than CPUs as far as tolerance to temps, but I would get as many fans on that sucker as I could. 80c and less is OK (in mt book) for a GPU. 80c and less for a CPU.

just my 2 cents.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Video cards seem to do better than CPUs as far as tolerance to temps, but I would get as many fans on that sucker as I could. 80c and less is OK (in mt book) for a GPU. 80c and less for a CPU.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah i got a smaller actual room fan that has a stand, i will put tower on the left side of desk and let that thing blow like idk its 800cfm right into the beast. Why not no more kitties in my room not even worried how stupid it looks :)

Edit: temps dropped down to 78 cel for a few mins but are hoovering around 80-81. Works for me, prob gonna order new fans and be done with this non sense not paid for a while longer and out of china its still gonna be like 6 weeks before i get it. Be lucky to be have it fixed before June at this rate. Love this card to much to let it die, will say this 1080ti is a beast and worth every penny. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Markfw

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Could i run another system with my username and passkey as well and add that on top of my main? I got a i5 8400t rig friend owns which also has a 3gb 1060. He is away out of town and wouldn't care if i did whatever. Its sitting there doing NOTHING atm. Why its powered on is beyond me.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Yup,
Could i run another system with my username and passkey as well and add that on top of my main? I got a i5 8400t rig friend owns which also has a 3gb 1060. He is away out of town and wouldn't care if i did whatever. Its sitting there doing NOTHING atm. Why its powered on is beyond me.
Yup, you can run as many as you want using your name and passkey.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Ken g6 Can you modify your script to do the math between the 2 numbers ? Its easier to tell if we are losing or gaining ground.

TeAm AnandTech 40450303145 41325938207 875635062
Tom's Hardware 33297662789 34006032768 708369979

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yup, you can run as many as you want using your name and passkey.

Yup i will verify first with owner and if he okays it then yeah we will have a 8400t/1060 combo. The 1060 is legit, the 8400t is passively cooled under a tisis and under prime95 it won't break 60cel. I could set and forget that one prob.

Edit: told him about it and yup when he leaves tonight,i will set it up :) Ty for the answer on that question.

Last edited:

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Multiple reboots = no upload, still stuck.

Work server 155.247.164.213, collection server 155.247.164.214. Any idea how to get it moving? Expires 3/27.
Which work server and collection server is this WU supposed to go to?

Try a reboot. This often helps to get stuck uploads going again.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

Work server 155.247.164.213, collection server 155.247.164.214. Any idea how to get it moving? Expires 3/27.
I saw reports of others with that problem. I have one of those too. I don't think there's anything we can do, and those WUs will just time out. :(

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016

I saw reports of others with that problem. I have one of those too. I don't think there's anything we can do, and those WUs will just time out. :(
I have got four of these for more than a day now. Both servers refuse connection from the clients right away when they attempt it. Reboot of the clients cannot change that.

Stats from day 9 %-) 8, Wednesday, March 25
@Ken g6 Can you modify your script to do the math between the 2 numbers ? Its easier to tell if we are losing or gaining ground.
I plan to post EOC based daily graphs from now on, after EOC's end of day which is 12am CDT. (Edit: Or maybe I rework my data to be based on 14:00 UTC data, because the race began and will end at 14:00 UTC points.) I'll think about adding an overtake estimation.

daily.png
Total from Ken's graph at Thu, 26 Mar 2020 02:00:00 GMT:
TeAm AnandTech: 885 M (166 M ahead)
Tom's Hardware: 718 M

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Second rig now fully operational, its hooked up via ethernet and i will tell you this much when the passkey decided to finally register after like 5 mins of it not wanting to, both cpu and gpu found a wu and went to work immediately. This tower in my room of course is just sitting idle i woke up from a little nap to find it completely idle. Will prob run up and down the stairs till i can assure both are operating as they should.

Getting 463k ppd, its only a 8400t which boosts all cores to 3ghz and a 3gb 1060 but i forgot if the passkey works immediately or is my current projected ppd with the passkey? I think i need to complete 10 wu for it to finally apply its bonuses? This tower was getting like idk 1.4 million just on gpu alone or reporting as such. I shut off cpu for a bit then reenabled and it picked up a wu immediately like just now . :)

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I think i need to complete 10 wu for it to finally apply its bonuses?
Yes, the user needs to have entered the passkey into the client(s), return 10 valid work units, and furthermore needs to return ≥80 % of the WUs that were assigned to them.

The 10 WUs count across all of the clients of the same user (identified by passkey). I don't know whether the passkey needs to be known to the clients already when they download the WUs, or merely when they return them.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yes, the user needs to have entered the passkey into the client(s), return 10 valid work units, and furthermore needs to return ≥80 % of the WUs that were assigned to them.

The 10 WUs count across all of the clients of the same user (identified by passkey). I don't know whether the passkey needs to be known to the clients already when they download the WUs, or merely when they return them.

Thanks for the answer, yeah i doubt i did 10 WU yet cause half the time something is idle. That is ok, i guess its out of my control.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Re: uploads not proceeding, project 11758, ws 155.247.164.213, cs 155.247.164.214
I have got four of these for more than a day now. Both servers refuse connection from the clients right away when they attempt it. Reboot of the clients cannot change that.
Two of them uploaded now. I guess the other two will follow soon.
(also reported by others in the foldingforum)

Nov 18, 2016
yep, at this point, i think it's mostly up to RNJesus as to who gets WUs in a given day. yesterday i got zero. today i'm crunching again. the real point is: we have better PPD per user, but will we be able to get enough WUs to make that count? if yes, we win. if not, we lose. sucks, but nothing we can do really. :confused_old:

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Hey guys! I've added a couple of machine, but they stand idle most of time not receiving wu. "No WUs available for this configuration"

Anybody else experiencing the same thing, or is it just me?

Reactions: Assimilator1

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hey guys! I've added a couple of machine, but they stand idle most of time not receiving wu. "No WUs available for this configuration"

Yeah,lot of that here. Been getting lucky with non stop gpu load now for like idk the last 4 hours? The cpu is hit and miss its kinda doing whatever whenever now. I much prefer the 1080ti working though. 1.56 million vs 52k for a stock 7700k......

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
OK thanks mopardude87, no worries just read the previous post... :)

Any other good projects that can run as service and be managed centrally?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Hey guys! I've added a couple of machine,
Great, thanks. Tom's have more users than we have currently, therefore we need more and better machines per user than them. >:-)

This "No WUs available for this configuration" probably just means that the server at which the client was connected at the time was plain out of work to send out, not that you have a very unusual configuration.

At times, some GPU models could only get work if the client was opened up to beta workunits. But at the moment, this is AFAIK not necessary for any ~somewhat common GPU types.

It could also happen with very large CPU slots (i.e. many threads per CPU), especially if they had an "odd" number of threads configured. But AFAIK this really happens only on large servers; those are better configured to a power-of-two number of threads (or more generally a thread count which can be factored into small primes such as 2, 3, and 5 but ideally not more). Though if you happen to have such a large machine, note that one large CPU slot gives better PPD than two small CPU slots, as long as the large slot can get work.

If you check on the client with the advanced control (i.e. FAHControl) and see a slot waiting for a download with a "Next attempt" time which has gotten rather far off, then use "Pause" and then "Fold" per right-click on the slot. This gets the "Next attempt" period back to something more normal.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey guys! I've added a couple of machines, but they stand idle most of time not receiving wu. "No WUs available for this configuration"

Omg! An amdxborg sighting! Good to see ya :), & long time no see! Or is it me whose not been around enough? lol [edit] Nope, you're last post was nearly 7yrs ago! ;)

Yea WU availability is rather patchy atm, IIRC theirs been a 2-3x increase in demand for them since the Corona virus project kicked off!
So what are you crunching with these days?

Last edited:

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
My stats aren't AS bad as they seem, I forgot I folded first under my original name 'rise4310'

When I fired back up for covid race, I ws folding under a different 'RISE" account, lol

Ah well, the work got done :)

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-26 100155.png
    Annotation 2020-03-26 100155.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 6

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Hi Assim1! Long time no see indeed! It's great to be back and see the old faces again :)

Yeah pretty much stopped crunching when I lost my work fleet and then life happened... ffwd 7 years later :p

For now my home rig, but... looking for a project with a small footprint (no installer, just run as a service, centrally manageable, etc) so I can start assimilating again :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I only had a work fleet for a few years, & that was over 15yrs ago, lol, so I'm well used to just home crunching ;), although I did have a couple of family members still crunching SETI for me until a few years ago, at which point some update SETI did caused lag to systems & so I lost those last 2 :(. They weren't fast rigs but were nice to have my SETI account ticking along as I mostly ran other projects with my main rig.
Btw, did you know SETI is shutting down (hibernating) the end of this month? Not coronavirus related, but they're going to write up some papers & are catching up with a load of back end analysis (more info there of course).

I was going to suggest a race with you, but you're holding back on me as what your home rig is! ;), I'm not up for being a lamb to the slaughter! lol