Anandtech vs Tom's Hardware Folding@Home Coronavirus Race thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Do we have an official stats master posting the numbers?

I ask because it looks to me like we are ahead in total points and in 24 hr. avg production. How are we losing and by how much?

Just asking.
I don't know who the stats master is, so I have just been posting the last 24 hr numbers. Today is the first day that we are behind. That means "we are loosing ground". Since its only by 3 mil, and previous days have been way up, I am sure we are ahead total points. But the tide is starting to sway in their behalf.

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
i've been running the client all day today. exactly zero WUs. i get a connection, there simply aren't any. reboots and client restarts achieved nothing. i've been at it for, uhm, three days now? and i still haven't reached the point where i get my bonuses. i'm stuck at 50.000k points, even if i actually folded half a million and more if bonuses were counted. sigh.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well, it does just work.

I met all the requirements last time i tried,i kept having issues getting wu then despite the right drivers and stuff i would get horrible ppd. Then my isp for the longest time would do this reboot of modem/router on its own usually very late night and that could cause havoc too. I always found on the gpu, i may go ahead and try it again i just remember having a heck of a bad time with it the last time. I like the cause and its one i certainly will back up.

What drivers would a 1080ti need and what is the easiest way to get started NOW versus later? I may add in a cpu client but for now i got a single 1080ti i wanna toss in. 442.74 i am on, i could roll back or stick to these. I do like the simplicity of the standard f@h client when it works right of course . :)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@mopardude87, I've got 1080ti myself, but on Linux Mint 18.3 with driver 384.130. It's that old because it worked for me and I therefore never updated it.

The 400 series of drivers works too. I don't know whether or not there are any kinks in 442.74 specifically.

As you probably know (e.g. from the first few posts in this thread), good PPD can only be had with a passkey which you need to request at the F@h site, receive per e-mail, and need to enter in the client (right where you also enter user name and team ID). Then you need to complete ~10 work units without error, and only then the bonus points start to flow.

@Storm Vanguard, I wonder whether the servers prefer to send work to "known good" clients first, i.e. to those which already qualified for bonuses. (Although bonuses are tied to users, not to particular client computers.)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87, I've got 1080ti myself, but on Linux Mint 18.3 with driver 384.130. It's that old because it worked for me and I therefore never updated it.

The 400 series of drivers works too. I don't know whether or not there are any kinks in 442.74 specifically.

As you probably know (e.g. from the first few posts in this thread), good PPD can only be had with a passkey which you need to request at the F@h site, receive per e-mail, and need to enter in the client (right where you also enter user name and team ID). Then you need to complete ~10 work units without error, and only then the bonus points start to flow.

Yeah i know about the passkey, its just simply wasn't wanting to pick up on wu for nothing or cooperate with me. I had to fight with the thing non stop before i just tossed in the towel and quit.

Gonna give it another try, now i got a cause that really is worth fighting with this thing over. I know no one suffering or dealing with the stuff usually being done in a wu, so the virus goal is perfect. I usually prefer overnight runs it kinda heats up the room hehe. :) Maybe some day folding will happen too but overnight usually yes when it wants to work of course :)

Reactions: Assimilator1

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Edit: Now the cpu-8 renderer is working, yay that was like on its own. Gpu render keeps trying to get assignment so far has tried 5 times with failure, so hopefully it just decides to do that at its earliest convenience. Yeah what do i need to kick to get the gpu deal to work here? Its simply just sticking to not getting assignment like it lost all connection i think idk?

Any chance maybe it will pick up a WU when the first cpu wu is done? Its currently showing me right about 16k ppd on a stock 7700k. I really want the gpu to work. I guess till it decides to work, i figured i would try a auto oc on my 7700k and got it to 4.7ghz. Appears stable so far, yet the client dropped the cpu workload completely? All i did was apply a simple overclock and reboot......

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I spent the morning rebooting boxes to clear the send errors, and no change. Only half my cards are working and all those have at least one send stuck.

How lomg until they can add some servers ????? arg @#!$@#@#%$$^&

Markfw

May 16, 2002
They have gained 10 million on us in the last 24 hours. 100 to 110 in the last 24 hours. We only have a 17 million point lead, less than 2 days, and that is GONE

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
They have gained 10 million on us in the last 24 hours. 100 to 110 in the last 24 hours. We only have a 17 million point lead, less than 2 days, and that is GONE
Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong but it looks like we're up around 170 million not 17 million?

Reactions: biodoc

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Gpu render keeps trying to get assignment so far has tried 5 times with failure

If you're unlucky, you'll go 50+ times without getting a WU. You have to pause the client and then start it again every 30 minutes. That starts the exponential backoff.

The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 40 seconds.
The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 100 seconds.
The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 240 seconds.

If you pause and play again, it starts again from the beginning.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
If you're unlucky, you'll go 50+ times without getting a WU. You have to pause the client and then start it again every 30 minutes. That starts the exponential backoff.

The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 40 seconds.
The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 100 seconds.
The system checks if it can get WU, if it can't find one it waits 240 seconds.

If you pause and play again, it starts again from the beginning.

Yeah that's all it has been doing is trying, i gave up on it completely including cpu. That simple reboot and oc broke the entire thing AGAIN. Lord forbid i actually do a reboot for any reason to put up with this much non sense. Thing needs some serious work.

Edit: last reinstall did get cpu working, so perhaps i will revert back to stock and try reinstall and stick to cpu. Its odd but all my stuff benches about the same when i was at 4.7ghz. 4.2ghz is fast enough for all my games anyways so meh.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong but it looks like we're up around 170 million not 17 million?
Duhhhhh... I put it in excel and formatted it, you are right its exactly

Still, thats 17 days. Now I have to see how long we have.....

Edit: ok, 21 days, 3 weeks from today. So we will loose at this rate,.

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Yeah that's all it has been doing is trying, i gave up on it completely including cpu. That simple reboot

Don't need to reboot! Didn't say you need to reboot.

In windows, if you're using the web interface, just click 'stop folding', wait 10 secs, then click 'start folding'
In windows, if you're using the advanced interface, click Pause, wait 10 secs, then clock fold.

This is in the advanced interface
fdsf.png

If you see here, this is a 2080 Ti + 1080 system.
My 1080 isn't getting any work. It says 'attempts 44' on the right, with the next attempt in 18m25.
If I click pause then fold, it'll go back to 40 seconds attempt.
I'm literally doing this every 30-60 minutes when I'm at my machines in order to get work.
That's how busy the FAH servers are right now.

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Edit: ok, 21 days, 3 weeks from today. So we will lose at this rate,.

You're extrapolating one day into three weeks.
Why not extrapolate the last week into the next four.
As you've noticed, the amount of work is being highly variable - one day it's 70% busy, then next is 50%.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Well, I'm pretty sure the TeAm is doing everything they can due to the current circumstances.
I have 2 GPUs in this and they both sat idling for 9 hrs, then I had 2 unsent that I dumped because they sat all the way to base points. Something I would normally NOT do, but the "due date" was April 1st and I consider them way to important to allow them to sit on my machine for that long. Loss of time, loss of points, but what else can you do? F@H is trying to keep up, hell look at how many "active" members the TeAm has since this started. I'd consider it a win even IF we were to LOSE........at this point............ it is what it is...........win OR lose it's still a win with all the folks joining.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Don't need to reboot! Didn't say you need to reboot.

I went to reboot cause i went into bios to apply a mild oc. Thought it would help with ppd but since i did that, its simply not resuming my last wu or even fetching a new one. Back to stock and did a reinstall its more or less doing same thing. Oh well maybe it will work whenever or not at all.

Edit: i did the pause idea more then few times NOW its working. YAY! Gpu not still but oh well at this point i am glad something works!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Tom's are better in recruiting currently. According to EOC:

TeAm AnandTechTom's Hardware
New users1,200 (+1,166 ^)1,954 (+1,602 ^)
Active users1,349 (+1,235 ^)2,482 (+1,737 ^)
Avg PPD90,50939,372

Still, we've got the better average PPD.
It's now 1 day out of 8 days into the race that they had higher production than we did. No need to get nervous... yet. ;-)

Well, I just set the board power limit of my GPUs back from 180 W to 220 W.