AnandTech, no clans?

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Man I remember when I was a kid I use to be a member of Dslreports.com we had clans for BF1942, and CS, and a bunch of other games as well. We had community servers were all the members could go on and play and it was a ton of fun just knowing that you were playing with fellow forum users.

Considering Anandtech is one of the biggest tech sites out there with a huge PC gamer user base I am surprised that we have almost no presence as a community in terms of online gaming. We have no servers for the top fps games, and a unorganized presence on other games such as SC2, and MOBA games.

I don't know, is just surprising to me, I came from a time where forums users would band together and have a great time playing online with one another while at the same time advertising their forum. Is there something I am missing? Do we in fact have some servers, or clans that I am unaware of.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
There is probably a group playing BF4, and a few people playing Rust, or DayZ, but there isn't really a dominant online game right now. Everything is either waning or suspect.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
There is an ATOT group playing BF. I'm usually on way later than anyone else that's in it in the US.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
There is an ATOT group playing BF. I'm usually on way later than anyone else that's in it in the US.
I guess this is different than have a dedicated server, or a clan tag in front of your name. Its the feeling of being a group and representing something that i guess is missing here.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
There is probably a group playing BF4, and a few people playing Rust, or DayZ, but there isn't really a dominant online game right now. Everything is either waning or suspect.

This. The market right now in terms of MP games is very open, almost comparable to a digital game renaissance because of steam workshop, kickstarter, and indie devs straying away from large publishers.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Gaming is just a small part of the forum. I would venture to say that only a small percentage of active posters even venture into the PC Gaming section on a regular basis.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I like being by myself and then playing against clan members, especially in TF2. I can usually do pretty well against a side that has several clan members. BF4 is another story...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As games become more and less popular people get lost.

If we had 100 people into Starcraft and all of a sudden Diablo becomes the hot thing, we risk losing 50 of them.

If those 50 later split to move over to Left 4 Dead, then the group gets even smaller. Eventually everyone goes their own way and you have to start over.

Best of luck if you wanna bring everyone together again. Right now I'm doing Skyrim and Final Fantasy.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
All those other communities that have one basically have a sponsor. You need the server for Teamspeak/mumble etc at the very least and ideally 1 server for your clan. Since no one has donated such a thing there is nothing to bring together a community. Fundamentally a community is driven by those donations in time and money and assets and without that donation it goes no where.

I suspect no one here feels a strong enough sense of community with the others to donate such a large chunk of energy and cash to make it happen.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
All those other communities that have one basically have a sponsor. You need the server for Teamspeak/mumble etc at the very least and ideally 1 server for your clan. Since no one has donated such a thing there is nothing to bring together a community. Fundamentally a community is driven by those donations in time and money and assets and without that donation it goes no where.

I suspect no one here feels a strong enough sense of community with the others to donate such a large chunk of energy and cash to make it happen.

Well to be honest I just looked at the prices for say a 64 player server on BF4 and its like $90 a month. So yeh I guess you are right, I am not sure the community really wants to come together and make something like that happen. It is quite expensive, and then on top of that we would have to rent a teamspeak server, oh well. I guess everything boils down to the dollar bill lol.

Nov 26, 2005
I'm into WWII style games. I had to bite the bullet and install Steam to run Rising Storm. I loved Red Orchestra: Ostfront. I skipped RO:2 while playing Unreal Tournament III for 4-5yrs. Other games I play are Day of Defeat; I've installed CS:S but haven't booted it up; I've installed RO; and I also play COD: WAW...

If there will be a clan or some type of community for any game that peaks my interest I'll look into maybe picking it up if I don't have it, and join in for some fun.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
There are sites that have strong communities but Anandtech's forums is mostly an AMD marketing tool, has been for years. It might be an idea to ask AMD if they would like to donate the server, they after all pay half the guys you talk to and the hosting website already. A game server and TS server doesn't seem like much more cost to them.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
For awhile we had a BF:bc2 server, and then I'm pretty sure we moved to BF3 for a bit. The problem was trying to keep the server active enough to justify it. Sure, if we could get several of the people from here playing it would generally fill up, but then player count would plummet. No one really wants to just sit in a server until people show up, so popularity waned.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
For awhile we had a BF:bc2 server, and then I'm pretty sure we moved to BF3 for a bit. The problem was trying to keep the server active enough to justify it. Sure, if we could get several of the people from here playing it would generally fill up, but then player count would plummet. No one really wants to just sit in a server until people show up, so popularity waned.
Well it seems like we have a huge player base for BF4 here, don't see why we couldn't get something up and running.