Question Anandtech GPU reviews?

martixy

Jan 16, 2011
Anandtech has been my go-to tech site for a quite a while, and I was expecting to get a GPU review when nVidia's 3000 series came out, and was rather surprised when none came out.
Ok, I said to myself, it's expected for AMD to release their new lineup fairly soon as well - maybe they're waiting for that so we can have a big GPU showdown. But now AMD's GPUs are out too and reviews are nowhere to be seen.

What's going on? Does AnandTech no longer do GPU reviews? The last proper GPU reviews I found are from the 2000 series launches. That was 2 years ago.

martixy

Jan 16, 2011
It burned down in a fire.
That's, uh... honestly not the response I expected.

A shame. Oh well, I suppose there are plenty of other media outlets to look to. GN comes to mind.
All I can offer here is some hollow internet sympathy from halfway around the world for that person.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I wouldn't be shocked if AT phased out GPU reviews, they probably get more revenue & clicks from Mobile and consumer stuff nowadays. I know the fires have didsrupted things but it has felt like the end of another era for AT (Anand leaving before) for a long time now, moving away from the PC enthusiast.

Reactions: Pohemi

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My understanding is the GPU review lab for Anandtech was burned down in a CA wildfire. This was a persons house, and said person has been occupied with the tragedy of having said life burned down to do any reviews at the moment.

-Whoa whoa whoa did Ryan's house burn down?! My understanding was that the RTX 3080/90 reviews were delayed because of evacuation orders, but there was a suggestion that AT would do a review round-up with the 3070 or RX6xxx series release.

Jeez if that really is the case I take back any AT GPU review jokes I have made recently.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know if it burned down or if he just had to evacuate, but it seems as though wherever he's at, fate is just not being kind or conducive to tech reviews:

There's also just so many new products coming out right now that it's probably enough just keeping up with all of that. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise and a double deep dive when the 6900XT launches and both companies have their full high-end lineup out the door.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
No GPU reviews would be bad for the traditional readers though, and I would suspect those are still a significant part.

I don't mind if they do a head to head deep dive with NV and AMD's new chips in 1-2 months (with updated drivers as a bonus!). The timing isn't that critical, I just want to read some thorough analysis from sources I trust.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah it's not so much even the benches (which haven't really been the strongpoint of Anandtech for some time) but the deep dives. I still hope they do them for Ampere and RDNA2

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually a 1-2 month delay isn’t that big a deal if as suggested we see what the driver changes do in that time. I mean it isn’t like anyone can buy any of the new cards because inventory doesn’t exist, so we might finally be at the point where people can find cards around then.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Actually a 1-2 month delay isn’t that big a deal if as suggested we see what the driver changes do in that time. I mean it isn’t like anyone can buy any of the new cards because inventory doesn’t exist, so we might finally be at the point where people can find cards around then.

-Keeping my fingers crossed for a massive review round-up + deep dive for each the RTX and RX series and some associated AIB cards, but honestly I'm starting to think AT is just going to miss this whole rollout entirely.

There has not even been an acknowledgement of the launches on the AT homepage as they would likely have to commit to a review/deep dive there.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I don't think reviews are coming anyway soon cause:

1. They won't get easily sampled with anything already reviewed months ago, which means they would have to buy at least some of these cards.
2. Usually Anandtech would update bench with the GPU2020 results for older cards first. if Ryan did parts of it but lost the entire lab (i really hope not) ... he'd have to do those all over again as well

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I hope Ryan's ok ....... well after looking at twitter he's been posting their recently, last mention of GPU reviews was on Sept 16th, very weird, you'd think their'd at least be some announcement about it. Hmm, I know a couple of people, I wonder if they would answer a PM about this..... (probably not :p , but hey, nothing to lose!).

I can't see AT giving up GPU reviews btw.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well, this is very odd, even some people in AT are in the dark too.

Btw, I'm told by someone else who lives 20 miles away from Ryan that no houses had burnt down in that area (good to hear btw :)), not saying their aren't other problems (e.g evacuations and power cuts) but seeing as he's been able to tweet (latest Nov 23rd) clearly he has internet access, he could at least give a little news post to the main AT page to let us know what's going on, or even just in the forums!
What's happening @Ryan Smith ? (hmm, Last seen Nov 13, 2020)

Last edited:

Guru

May 5, 2017
They need to hire another reviewer or have some of the SSD, laptop guys do it. AT has been terrible with GPU reviews and this isn't even anything new, its been going on for the past 3-4 years now!

This site really went downhill after anand left!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
They have? I didn't even notice :oops:, then again over that same time I don't usually read the reviews when the cards come out these days.
I think CPU reviews have been coming out pretty pronto though.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I know a lot of people take umbrage with AT taking on mobile phone and other hardware reviews, but there honestly just isn't enough DIY stuff coming out anymore to keep a site like this alive (the cadence of new CPU/GPU releases has gone from less than 1 year to nearly 2 years at this point).

I also rather enjoy their Mobile Phone reviews, they are quite comprehensive in the standard AT style.

Their interviews with industry insiders are also great and the closet thing to actual tech journalism I've seen out there.