AnandTech Forum Guidelines

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I wholeheartedly applaud this change. Well-defined rules and public moderation will increase the perception of fairness, and should decrease a lot of the paranoia and animosity that has unfortunately pervaded these forums for some time. Reading through this thread, I saw some concerns about how this could affect P&N negatively and quite frankly I don't buy that. Bias is more likely with anonymous moderators than with those who are publicly-known, and IMO the conscious care that Anandtech has taken in good faith order to act against that and prevent subsequent ill feelings from that has allowed for that forum to bascially fall into a near-lawless anarchy. Especially troubling has been the relatively recent trend of posters pretending that personal attacks consist only of name-calling here on this fantasy message board, while OTOH actual real-life smears about an individual poster's professional ethics or baseless slanders such as "shill" have been considered to be completely acceptable. I sincerely believe that the change to open moderation will grant Anandtech the ability to confront such negative behaviors in a postive fashion.
Thank you.

Skipholiday

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
What happens if a mod harasses name calls or shows disrespect to the members he is appointed to moderate?
Can the ability to moderate be taken away?
Can members vote off bad mods?

If a mod pm's a member using foul language or any other form of disrespect, can anything be done?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
What happens if a mod harasses name calls or shows disrespect to the members he is appointed to moderate?
Send an email to the mod account. The Admins actually get it.

Can the ability to moderate be taken away?
Yes

Can members vote off bad mods?
No

If a mod pm's a member using foul language or any other form of disrespect, can anything be done?[/quote]
Send an email to the Mod account

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
This is a HUGE step in the right direction. Having publicly known MODs makes them far more accountable for their actions.
Few thoughts:

1. Knowing who the thread MOD is might make people less likely to disagree with that person and therefore take away that persons ability to enjoy the forums. Let?s hope this does not become a problem.

2. Nearly any open and visible change/edit by a MOD should be accompanied by an explanation. This will hopefully eliminate the ?why was my thread locked? question. This will also allow members to see what types of behavior will not be tolerated.

3. As a highly popular P&N poster I am continuously subjected to a ?pilling on? effect where multiple members will attack my posts and ideas just because they are mine without address the content of the ideas themselves. This should be viewed as personal attacks and steps should be taken to prevent such behavior.

4. The MODs should be held to a higher standard of behavior on the forums since they should be setting the example for other members to follow. Unfortunately this has not been the case as at least one ?Senior MOD? has a history of posting personal insults and directing derogatory language at those who disagree with them.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SKipholiday

If a mod pm's a member using foul language or any other form of disrespect, can anything be done?
It depends if he PM's you under the guise of a Mod or that of just a Member.

Skipholiday

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

One circumstance the mod was using the Anandtech moderator tag.
The other is a member I just found out is a mod.

It's no big deal. I love AT and I expected more from a mod.
AT is full of awesome intelligent individuals.

What ever a mod does is a direct reflection of the entire community~!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the revised rules and guide lines. I think they may work out very good. and above all - and as dennilfloss said: It is all about respect. :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

This whole accountability system is supposed to allow everyone to put aside past transgressions (real or fictional) and start fresh.

With the Moderators responding from their own handles, if one feels that there is a problem, it can be identified by using emails or PMs to the Anandtech Moderator.

AnandTech Moderator

Staff member
Oct 12, 1999

How about as a member of Anandtech's forums what ever you do is a direct reflection of the community! That's a pretty heavy burden to bear don't you think?

As long as they aren't doing it in their capacity as a Moderator they should be free to expresss themselves like any other member of Anandtech.

Anandtexh Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
The tone of our Forums is expected to remain at least at a "basic cable" level
I'm guessing this is some sort of US phrase ,what's it mean?

Originally posted by: ForumMaster
First and foremost, I'd like to thank you Derek. the forum is now finally working properly.

As for the new guidelines, I have to agree with ViRGE on this one. I don't think that having non-anonymous moderators is the best idea. The anonymous identity that was known only as AnandTech Moderator had power because of the rarity of the comments and also because it was anonymous. Making the moderators known will weaken their power in my opinion. The various members of this forum will know who the moderators are and thus, respect for the moderators will go down.

What?? I don't see why that should happen (overall):confused:

I like the changes & I think getting rid of annon mods is a good idea ,better accountabilty incase we have an issue with a mod.:thumbsup:

Skipholiday

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator

How about as a member of Anandtech's forums what ever you do is a direct reflection of the community! That's a pretty heavy burden to bear don't you think?

As long as they aren't doing it in their capacity as a Moderator they should be free to expresss themselves like any other member of Anandtech.
That's how I have always been.
I always greet new members and attempt to help them if needed. I have never and will never cuss anyone through pm.
If someones vocabulary is so limited they have to use foul language they need not be a mod imho.
I am no saint and I can cuss with the best of them but I will not use foul language to attempt to get my point across~!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: AnandTech ModeratorAs long as they aren't doing it in their capacity as a Moderator they should be free to expresss themselves like any other member of Anandtech.
First, I'd like to say that I'm very much in favor of knowing the Mods' names. That said, I'm confused about something. You just posted this as AnandTech Moderator, without revealing your real forum name. Are you someone Anand hired specifically to be a Mod and nothing else? Otherwise, who are you; and how are we to identify a Mod posting as AnandTech Moderator?

Assimilator1: basic cable == censored about like broadcast TV.

...American broadcast TV! :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I'm confused about something. You just posted this as AnandTech Moderator, without revealing your real forum name. Are you someone Anand hired specifically to be a Mod and nothing else? Otherwise, who are you; and how are we to identify a Mod posting as AnandTech Moderator?
AnandTech Moderator
Ultimate Moderator

i think we have the Admin. speaking for all of us ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ken_g6
Originally posted by: AnandTech ModeratorAs long as they aren't doing it in their capacity as a Moderator they should be free to expresss themselves like any other member of Anandtech.
First, I'd like to say that I'm very much in favor of knowing the Mods' names. That said, I'm confused about something. You just posted this as AnandTech Moderator, without revealing your real forum name. Are you someone Anand hired specifically to be a Mod and nothing else? Otherwise, who are you; and how are we to identify a Mod posting as AnandTech Moderator?

Sorry about that, I thought I was using my own account. :eek:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
my mistake also :p
... i thought it was ... someone else

:D
I'm so use to using the Mod Account when I post in any Forum Issues thread I didn't realize that I was posting anonymously:confused:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

I'm so use to using the Mod Account when I post in any Forum Issues thread I didn't realize that I was posting anonymously:confused:
...So, you see the problem.

:light:
:D I wonder if one account could be set up for each Mod? E.g. the above could have been posted by "AnandTech Moderator Red Dawn".

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003

:D I wonder if one account could be set up for each Mod? E.g. the above could have been posted by "AnandTech Moderator Red Dawn".
thats a little redundant really ... I think we're all mature enough to realize when someone is actually moderating and when they are not. I don't see any reason to give every mod a second account with basically the same name ...

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003

basic cable is less censored than bcase tv

basically, you have language but not excessive vulgarity, no nudity (though basic cable allows butts and we don't), a bit of leeway that we haven't had around here before. hit you tube and look up south park for an idea of the limits.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator

So which mod are you?

Or do all mods have the ability to become an 'Ultimate Moderator'?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
thats a little redundant really ... I think we're all mature enough to realize when someone is actually moderating and when they are not. I don't see any reason to give every mod a second account with basically the same name ...

Agreed, the new system is similar to how the ar15.com forums are set up. Special users are marked site staff(admin) or moderator and leave their name when editing a post. They dont bother with a special moderator account though, they just make the edits from their accounts.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Actually when posting under that account I am suppose to sign the post with my name. The reason I didn't is because I didn't realize I was posting under the Anandtech Moderator account. :eek: