AnandTech Forum Guidelines

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
In addition to these changes, all moderator identities will be public.
so what about the ones that decided to change their username?
Which identities are you having a problem with?

Chunk monster and Common Courtesy I believe. Both senior mods/elite and under 50 posts. Obviously old users, but who?

This is really simple,
If you have a problem with the way "Chunk monster" is doing their job, send a PM to the Mod account or an email to the Mod account and the issue will be addressed.

As for "Common Courtesy", if you have a problem with the way "Common Courtesy" is doing their job, send a PM to the Mod account or an email to the Mod account and the issue will be addressed.

This ensures total accountably.

On another note, the Mods don't get the emails to the Mod email account. The Admins get them. So if you complain about a Mod though that means, a Mod won't even know about it till the Admins bring it up. That way, you can't yell Mod bias when complaining about a Mod to the Mods.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
while i understand the need for a distinction between senior mods and the other mods, i don't see the need for forum specific titles. why not just "moderator" and "senior moderator"?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: rise
while i understand the need for a distinction between senior mods and the other mods, i don't see the need for forum specific titles. why not just "moderator" and "senior moderator"?

We will be switching over to such.
It takes time to edit all the titles and make sure that no more typos occur.

The identification of the forum(s) being monitored is intended to assist members in locating a Moderator that may be familar with the problem/issue, etc.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
So technically now someone could just add all of the moderators to their buddies list and go nef the crap out of a particular area if that particular mod(s) is not on? Great. :frown:
Remember that the Senior Moderators are not identified with a particular area.

And then you have the Anandtech Moderator who is constantly on the prowl.

Your buddy list could scroll off the screen.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I see a lot of people offering suggestions on the matter but I'd like to ask a question:

Do these new and enhanced/clarified rules apply to the Video forum?

The only reason I ask is because it seems to me that folks go into the hardware sections looking for useful advice. I know a lot of the guys in this thread seem to like the big debates that go on there, but I wanted to know what the admins position was on this issue.

Did they want the debating and fighting to be contained in OT and P&N or will it be allowed in other areas as well?

Good quesition. I do not even click on the video forum anymore due to all of the crap that goes on there. Sad but true. It's like P&N light or something...ugh.

KT
Heated discussions are fine, But there should be little to no flamming/personal attacks. Attack the argument, not the person. The tech forums will be held to a higher standard than the social forums.

Good to know. I guess my issue with that forum is the same few guys rehashing the same few arguments over and over and over. It just all becomes tedious and inane after a while, but this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, so I'll stop talking about it.

Cheers,
KT

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
So....what was the criteria for mods? Did folks just get "picked" based on current mods opinion?

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: rise
We will be switching over to such.
It takes time to edit all the titles and make sure that no more typos occur.

The identification of the forum(s) being monitored is intended to assist members in locating a Moderator that may be familar with the problem/issue, etc.
thanks!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: nweaver
So....what was the criteria for mods? Did folks just get "picked" based on current mods opinion?

The new Mods were nominated by the current Senior Mods.
We then voted on them. Some made it, some didn't and some turned down the nomination.
The next round will be voted on by the forum members but I am not sure how nominations will be conducted. I believe the members will be allowed to nominate, then vote. But don't quote me as I am not sure if the details have been ironed out.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Is there an official "I nominate XYZ to mod forum ABC"? or is that premature? If not, Drag would make a great OS/*nix mod :D

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Is there an official "I nominate XYZ to mod forum ABC"? or is that premature? If not, Drag would make a great OS/*nix mod :D

Like oldsmoboat said, we have not worked out all the details. As soon as they are all worked out, the process will be posted.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

We then voted on them. Some made it, some didn't and some turned down the nomination.
The next round will be voted on by the forum members but I am not sure how nominations will be conducted. I believe the members will be allowed to nominate, then vote. But don't quote me as I am not sure if the details have been ironed out.
As was stated above, the current senior mods and admin (or is it admins ;)) made nominations and the group voted. Not all nominees were invited, but that also does not mean they will not be considered in the future. As far as I am aware, the group is still ironing out details on the process of further addition and/or nominations of mods.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

I sincerely hope that the input from members is only used as a suggestion or nomination for moderation rights, rather than a guarantee. Some of the popular members who might get the most votes would be horrible moderators.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Huzzah for transparency and well-defined rules!

I don't know if it is possible, but I would really like to see some sort of system which tracks moderator actions. Often I get confused about topics in which certain posts are erased, or when threads disappear and having some sort of system that places a marker where moderation has occurred would help keep consistency across the forum. I know that is probably unlikely / would require a lot of work, but it would be much appreciated.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt

I sincerely hope that the input from members is only used as a suggestion or nomination for moderation rights, rather than a guarantee. Some of the popular members who might get the most votes would be horrible moderators.
If that happens, they wasted their vote and we will fire the Mod. They will be expected to perform to a certain standard.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt

If that happens, they wasted their vote and we will fire the Mod. They will be expected to perform to a certain standard.

Ounce of prevention > pound of cure. People remember abuse of power a lot more than they remember good moderation.

That being said, there are some members who are popular and also very helpful. I would think who they are would already be obvious for the most part.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I think this will work pretty well. The mods/admins on other forums (xtremesystems for example) are all known and this work fine there. I don't see why it shouldn't work out here :thumbsup:

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think it's a massive step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

I fussed & complained in the "Watch for title changes" thread, but I have to admit it was enough for me to ask to return here.

I can see I'll be spending some time in the garage.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

I fussed & complained in the "Watch for title changes" thread, but I have to admit it was enough for me to ask to return here.

Not to mention the dog house.
:p

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Not to mention the dog house.
:p

LOL, I'm still traumatized by the last change of culture thread :eek:

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
It should remain that all future moderators be selected by Current mods and Admins only. Having users vote on who gets in is just wrong IMO, and I shudder at the thought of some of the more post hungry nefs getting in there due to a popularity contest.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Dean
It should remain that all future moderators be selected by Current mods and Admins only. Having users vote on who gets in is just wrong IMO, and I shudder at the thought of some of the more post hungry nefs getting in there due to a popularity contest.
we aren't allowing voting for mods in the social forums (ot/pn/lr/garage). Those who nef in the other forums probably won't be as well liked.