Question Anandtech.com article on 13900k and 7950x power scaling

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adamge

Aug 15, 2022

It's an interesting article, but IMO severely crippled by the reliance on "configured" power limit rather than measuring power usage. It's even more frustrating when one of the datapoints is measured power usage, so the author has access to this data.

In this scenario where configured power limits are basically hand waving guidelines, measured power usage (specifically, average power usage by the CPU during the benchmark run) is the only useful, meaningful, and concrete way to analyze the performance results relative to the power usage.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Weird that a new poster shows up out of seemingly nowhere and has time to dredge through old threads and posts to be familiar with things that people have supposedly said months ago, but almost a week later can't be bothered to actually link to any of these posts.

What? That's totally normal and not at all indicative of some kind of viral marketing strategy.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What? That's totally normal and not at all indicative of some kind of viral marketing strategy.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I don't know if the quality of the work is worthy of pay and I don't think Intel would keep a position like this around while cutting technical staff.

I suppose there's always the horrifying possibility that this is being done for free, but I'd at least like to think that even if the reward isn't monetary it's being done for dopamine deposits.

And on along that line of reasoning, I'm still split between whether to tell them to go back into the drawer or back underneath the bridge. Perhaps a drawer tucked away under a bridge.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't know if I'd go that far. I don't know if the quality of the work is worthy of pay and I don't think Intel would keep a position like this around while cutting technical staff.

I suppose there's always the horrifying possibility that this is being done for free, but I'd at least like to think that even if the reward isn't monetary it's being done for dopamine deposits.

Considering the quality of work, my guess is that Intel went with a discount option to save money.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
This does not make any sense, perhaps the CPU was thermal throttling?

This is my own data:View attachment 76054

Going from 130 to 210W, I got 15% more performance, they got just 7% more.

I wouldn't expect the scaling to be identical for every test. Unless they also posted CB23 numbers and I need to click through the tweet to see that graph.