AnandTech 20th Anniversary Giveaway!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Reactions: ioni

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Mmm, that Supermicro motherboard. I wants the precious.

Last edited:

mikepers

Feb 12, 2001
....So this is a bit COA, but officially the terms and conditions are for a drawing by the 23rd. We're trying to keep things moving a bit faster than that, but I can't make any guarantees. Though I've asked the community team if they have any best-guesses on how quickly they'll be able to do this.

Your best bet is to watch your email; that's how we're contacting the winners. The public list in the widget isn't meant to be the primary contact, rather it's a nice perk of the system....

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated! I'll keep an eye on my inbox. Who knows, might get lucky and win something!

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
So, what's the reason you are not releasing the winners? We get a daily list of the winners names thru Day 4. Day 5 happens and suddenly the winners names are not posted.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
They were posting them on each giveaway page itself where you entered.
Example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11316/at20-giveaway-day-4-msi-motherboards

But starting on the 5th giveaway, that seemed to stop. (or maybe those winners haven't been chosen yet?)
Example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11320/at20-giveaway-day-5-zotac-gtx-1080-ti-amp-video-card-zbox-minipc

So, what's the reason you are not releasing the winners? We get a daily list of the winners names thru Day 4. Day 5 happens and suddenly the winners names are not posted.

Agreed, all this work and we don't get to learn when we lose, very sad.

bornconfuzd

May 10, 2017
Only a few hours left for the AT20 Giveaway Day 10: Huawei Mate 9 & P10 Smartphone giveaway in celebration of AnandTech 20 year anniversary!

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Now they are giving away Seasonic Prime PSU's. I have been eye balling a 650 Titanium Prime for a year now.

leggazoid

May 3, 2017
I am one of the lucky winners. Maybe I have an explanation of why it takes longer to reveal the winners on some of the contests.

I received an email with instructions to claim my prize with an attached document to get notarized proving you live in the US and don't work for the companies involved in the giveaway.

I am guessing the winners aren't able to respond in time so they continue to go down the list of entries until they get a response.

So MAYBE we all have a chance still to win the day 5 prize?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Man, I think I will spend the first week of June just clearing out my Twitter and other feeds from the "follow" twitter and "subscribe" on youtube tasks just to get a drawing entry. I just did the same for a 3D printing contest that had 26 entries.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Loot arrival:

RvUA3RK.jpg

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
looks like they started showing winner names again for a few more days. So what we have is the following

Winners shown on days 1-4 and then 6-9
Not shown on days 5-5.5 and 9.5+

Least that is what I see so far. I haven't received any more email communication in regards to winning anything more so I am guessing I have won a second item yet.

BurntMyBacon

Apr 28, 2017
What's the deal with Day 14 and Day 14.5 requiring social media verification that I'm a real human. I don't have a social media account at facebook, twitter, or instagram. Otherwise I would have gotten a few more entries on the giveaways to this point. All three of these social media outlets are blocked where I do 90% of my web browsing. Finally, and most importantly, social media accounts weren't part of the requirements for entering in the first place.

I have no intention of getting hooked into social media for the sole purpose of a giveaway. I also have no issue forgoing participation in future giveaways if this is a requirement. However, I do have an issue changing the requirements half way through without so much as a subnote. If you want to verify whether or not I'm human, there are several other methods that don't require setting up unwanted accounts on third party sites to complete.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is buried here in this thread but one of the staffers came into to say that they got loot because of the media tie-ins. So instead of just celebrating a tech site that has lasted this long, there was a bit of quid pro quo. Of course this is totally bogus as I believe the company higher-ups who approve of social media ventures must know that when they get a spike of "likes" or "subscribers" or "followers" it is because of a contest and not real company interest. As in, "I only like you because you give away stuff."

My wife just called this "tech fluffing." Great. I'm a fluffer. :(:oops:

What's the deal with Day 14 and Day 14.5 requiring social media verification that I'm a real human. I don't have a social media account at facebook, twitter, or instagram. Otherwise I would have gotten a few more entries on the giveaways to this point. All three of these social media outlets are blocked where I do 90% of my web browsing. Finally, and most importantly, social media accounts weren't part of the requirements for entering in the first place.

I have no intention of getting hooked into social media for the sole purpose of a giveaway. I also have no issue forgoing participation in future giveaways if this is a requirement. However, I do have an issue changing the requirements half way through without so much as a subnote. If you want to verify whether or not I'm human, there are several other methods that don't require setting up unwanted accounts on third party sites to complete.

BurntMyBacon

Apr 28, 2017
It is buried here in this thread but one of the staffers came into to say that they got loot because of the media tie-ins. So instead of just celebrating a tech site that has lasted this long, there was a bit of quid pro quo. Of course this is totally bogus as I believe the company higher-ups who approve of social media ventures must know that when they get a spike of "likes" or "subscribers" or "followers" it is because of a contest and not real company interest. As in, "I only like you because you give away stuff."

My wife just called this "tech fluffing." Great. I'm a fluffer. :(:oops:

If social media tie-ins are required to run the contest, then so be it. I can just choose not to participate. Such requirement, however, should be stated up front and certainly not introduced as a late game rule change.

Not that they'll care, but I don't think I'll be participating in future giveaways / contests as I don't like the feeling of getting the rug pulled out from under me. I only created this forum account for the competition, but I thought, perhaps I'll use it since I have it. That's looking doubtful now.

brrbtr

May 5, 2017
I appreciate companies that do giveaways to attract more viewership. I really appreciate those that pick me as the winner of that stuff!

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
I finally stopper those damn AT browser alerts on my phone. Thanks for nothing!