Info [Anand et al.] NVIDIA Releases DirectX Raytracing Driver for GTX Cards

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14203/nvidia-releases-dxr-driver-for-gtx-cards
https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-ge...river-is-here-but-try-not-to-expect-too-much/
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ray_tracing-pascal-10_series-driver,39043.html

RT_ShaderCore_Press%20Deck_Final_08_575px.png

RT_ShaderCore_Press%20Deck_Final_10_575px.png

RT_ShaderCore_Press%20Deck_Final_17_575px.png

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Tried metro with 1080TI.2560x1440 all max without RT i have 100-120fps(first mission)But when i enable RT i have 25fps :p
Only 500% performance hit not bado_O

Reactions: lightmanek

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I notice Volta is suspiciously absent from nVidia's charts.

When has Nvidia regularly included Titan V in demo / game benchmarks? It's already been proven that Volta can do a respectable job ray tracing vs. Pascal, but when a heavy amount of rays are being cast, it falls significantly behind Turing. Keep in mind Titan V has more outright power than the 2080 TI so in instances where little to no ray tracing is being used, Titan V should theoretically be competitive if not faster.

https://wccftech.com/titan-v-high-fps-battlefield-v-rtx/
On Rotterdam with high RTX settings, the 2080 TI is 44% faster than Titan V. Titan V would also be losing out to the 2080 and probably the 2070 in that scenario.

Reactions: ozzy702

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I still feel like this is a ploy for nVidia to try and convince people to upgrade (Since the majority of GTX owners have not seen much of a need to). Like they didn't bother with any real optimizations for GTX cards to make them look worse when compared to the RTX cards. So it lets GTX owners see the graphics differences in hopes of making them feel the need to upgrade.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Here is video from quake2 RTX on 1080TI.It runs like crap and looks and like crap.Then i tried xp mod and it runs 100+fps and look even better:)

Reactions: psolord

SirDinadan

Jul 11, 2016
boostclock.com
Has anyone tried the Start Wars Reflections demo? On my RTX 2080 Ti the frame rate is constant throughout the run, a bit weird ... And no way to toggle DLSS ON-OFF? The Chinese MMO demo and Atomic Heart runs fine.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I still feel like this is a ploy for nVidia to try and convince people to upgrade (Since the majority of GTX owners have not seen much of a need to). Like they didn't bother with any real optimizations for GTX cards to make them look worse when compared to the RTX cards. So it lets GTX owners see the graphics differences in hopes of making them feel the need to upgrade.

I made the example in another thread about how it would be like a drug dealer giving you a free sample and just hoping you get a fix. Why release this to non RTX people anyways if its practically unplayable? Only exceptions may be people on something like a 1080 ti if they are insane enough to be gaming on a 720p tv maybe and that is extremely unlikely. Its odd they even took the time to enable it for us non RTX owners knowing just bad off its gonna run.

I haven't even bothered with the drivers or any demo or BF1 cause its already sounding pretty bad. Exciting to play around with yes but after drooling over your eye candy when game time comes its gonna have to go off. I won't lie when i feel the urge to bench BF5 with it enabled though but i don't even got it installed anymore.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Do we have any performance data with Vegas or Radeon 7? I mean is there even a DXR driver out yet?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Do we have any performance data with Vegas or Radeon 7? I mean is there even a DXR driver out yet?

Don't expect a DXR driver any time soon, unless there's a title which requires it, since it would just play into nVidia's marketing.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

The only thing we have is a tech demo that is not yet available to the public from Crytek. I am sure it will end up in a game eventually. But they did demo it on a Radeon VII Vega56 running at 60fps 30fps.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Been having a ball, i did a uninstall of old drivers and a fresh install of 425.31. Then i did the 1809 update when the Star Wars Demo asked for it.I did a few other small updates to make sure i was all set. I get excited and launch the demo and well every launch i manage to lose signal to my monitor then moments later the computer restarts. I did another fresh install of the driver just in case something went glitch like and same results.If this is a driver issue, its the first one i seen in over a decade.

Anyone else know what this may be? Before this i had absolutely no issues. Downloading BF5 and will see if that is happening there but so far GTA V has been good .

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Two observations:

1) So can GTX 1080 Ti outperform RTX 2060 or come close to RTX 2070? Or do we still have wiggle room, ie NV is not extending shortcuts to Pascal thus intentionally sandbagging it?

2) This should have been available day 1 with every single title that used any DXR. Now it looks as a desperation move to validate their hardware. At this point I don't even care how better Turing is than Pascal at DXR, I want more DXR titles. Get off your butt NV, open your wallet like you normally do. There are still not enough games to justify my purchase! I haven't felt early adopter's remorse like this in years!

Mar 11, 2004
The only thing we have is a tech demo that is not yet available to the public from Crytek. I am sure it will end up in a game eventually. But they did demo it on a Radeon VII running at 60fps.

The Crytek demo was run on I believe a Vega 56.

Two observations:

1) So can GTX 1080 Ti outperform RTX 2060 or come close to RTX 2070? Or do we still have wiggle room, ie NV is not extending shortcuts to Pascal thus intentionally sandbagging it?

2) This should have been available day 1 with every single title that used any DXR. Now it looks as a desperation move to validate their hardware. At this point I don't even care how better Turing is than Pascal at DXR, I want more DXR titles. Get off your butt NV, open your wallet like you normally do. There are still not enough games to justify my purchase! I haven't felt early adopter's remorse like this in years!

Do any games support DXR right now? I think Nvidia's support is actually happening before most games push that feature so I think you have things backwards? Maybe I'm wrong? Or are you confusing DXR and RTX? As I believe RTX is the only implementation of ray-tracing in released games so far (well the way we're talking and not older mods like those Quake ray-tracing stuff). RTX is not DXR (meaning they can't just turn it on and you get ray-tracing in games that have RTX). I might be wrong about that, but I don't believe just because it supports RTX that now non-RTX stuff has DXR support. Not sure it'll take much, to offer it, but I don't think its that easy either.

There's not much Nvidia can do about pushing DXR as that's up to the game developers on supporting that (and its so heavily tied to DX12 that support for it is likely tied to development of new game engines, and those are probably tied to the next gen consoles since they're designed with them in mind; and since DXR is Microsoft, that means probably not much DXR support until the next Xbox which is probably holiday 2020). No amount of money is going to speed that up enough for you. Vulkan should have some similar capability and should be popular with Sony/PS5, so probably the biggest game to be able to utilize DXR type ray-tracing would probably be the next Doom game (but I'm not sure they're doing that, so it'd probably be something patched in later).

Nvidia would prefer their RTX implementation to be used instead of DXR (in fact its more in their interest to stall DXR development so they'd still have the only ray-tracing and they'd like to make it seem superior).

But Nvidia has to support DXR because its Microsoft's implementation of ray-tracing. So if they tried to refuse they'd have to pay every company to support RTX as well (since it would require extra when there often wouldn't be much benefit to them for supporting it over making sure their stuff worked on other hardware - especially the AMD based console stuff).

Mar 11, 2004
Don't expect a DXR driver any time soon, unless there's a title which requires it, since it would just play into nVidia's marketing.

I disagree, as I think not supporting DXR would play into Nvidia's hand every bit as much if not moreso, in that it would give RTX extra advantage (as companies looking to do ray-tracing are gonna go "well we only have one vendor supporting it right now, we might as well use their specific implementation"). Not supporting DXR ASAP would be like not offering support for a new subversion of DirectX (which both brands tend to do ASAP even when they can't offer support of the full featureset). DXR performance I don't know matters that much as its not gonna be good across the board, we'll see if it improves (but if it does, most likely it'd be through them reducing the amount of ray tracing being done).

I don't think AMD is gonna make a lot of fuss about DXR support just because I think they see that its not gonna be all that good to start. But I expect they'll announce some support and then leave it up to developers to figure out if its worth really using. Which DXR performance might also be limited by Microsoft since they're the ones in charge of the API.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
The ball’s in AMD’s court now. They keep showing slides about how good their GPU’s are at compute. OK, then let’s have that fallback driver AMD. There’s no excuse to not have one.

Reactions: n0x1ous

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The ball’s in AMD’s court now. They keep showing slides about how good their GPU’s are at compute. OK, then let’s have that fallback driver AMD. There’s no excuse to not have one.
Remember when AMD was pushing like crazy for low level APIs while Nvidia watched them banging their heads against the walls? (probably very amused as they were selling cards while their competition was selling promises)

Seems to me like AMD threw the ball back already : they'll release the driver when they deem appropriate, likely after Nvidia does the heavy-lifting with developers time and time again to make DXR a used tech in gaming, not just a nice demo in 2-3 titles. AMD finally learned how calculated capitalism works, so they're not playing college basketball anymore.

In fact, had AMD released that fallback driver already, I doubt Nvidia would have had to release the GTX driver at all. Damn mirrors.

Last edited:

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Been having a ball, i did a uninstall of old drivers and a fresh install of 425.31. Then i did the 1809 update when the Star Wars Demo asked for it.I did a few other small updates to make sure i was all set. I get excited and launch the demo and well every launch i manage to lose signal to my monitor then moments later the computer restarts. I did another fresh install of the driver just in case something went glitch like and same results.If this is a driver issue, its the first one i seen in over a decade.

Anyone else know what this may be? Before this i had absolutely no issues. Downloading BF5 and will see if that is happening there but so far GTA V has been good .
Sounds like the extra stress of enabling DXR is overloading your PSU. If your GPU requires two power cables, make sure you are using two separate cables and not just a single double-ended cable, because the power draw may be too great for a single cable and the PSU is detecting the problem and tripping its failsafe. But if that's not it, then the PSU itself might be underpowered for the task or simply dying.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I disagree, as I think not supporting DXR would play into Nvidia's hand every bit as much if not moreso, in that it would give RTX extra advantage (as companies looking to do ray-tracing are gonna go "well we only have one vendor supporting it right now, we might as well use their specific implementation").

There's nothing vendor specific about RTX, it's just hardware acceleration which the driver in theory should handle.

AMD needs to work on DXR support of course but at the same time I'm not sure you will see anything but superficial usage unless the consoles have hardware acceleration (which seems unlikely).

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Sounds like the extra stress of enabling DXR is overloading your PSU. If your GPU requires two power cables, make sure you are using two separate cables and not just a single double-ended cable, because the power draw may be too great for a single cable and the PSU is detecting the problem and tripping its failsafe. But if that's not it, then the PSU itself might be underpowered for the task or simply dying.

Its only using a single 8 pin. One of the times the game appeared to start the crashing i got a white pop up just once about the driver not being found and i clicked it and the desktop came back and the demo went poof. That was when i reinstalled the driver with the same result. BF5 i didn't have this issue testing out DXR, it just ran as low as 13 fps and avg was in the 20's highs low 30's in multiplayer. Oddly though before i enabled it my minimums never drop under 60 and suddenly i was hitting 40's immediately just sitting in the spawn with no action. .Will prob have to rule out if its a psu issue or a bad driver.

DXR did look beautiful but man upgrading Windows 10 to 1809 and upgrading that driver suddenly brought on a slew of issues i never seen before. Could be coincidence and a possible failing psu but the last psu i bought that failed died out of no where and took a i7 2600k/p67/8gb set up with it. Ironically GTA V also has seen a hit in performance even before the 1809 upgrade and 325.31 drivers.