Analyst: nVidia lied about crypto earnings to avoid stock crash

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Do you own Nvidia stock or are you just st concern trolling?

Insults are not allowed in the
tech forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Do you own Nvidia stock or are you just st concern trolling?

Troll for sure. The emotional hate he has for NVIDIA and specifically RTX is way overboard.

We do not allow personal insults in the tech forums.
This includes, but is not limited to, calling others
"trolls".

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PeterScott

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Hmm, so Total sales estimated from hash rates - AMD sales = Nvidia Sales? Dedicated mining ASICs exist, and they are big part of those sales lol.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017

I thought your reason for NVidia sales shortfall was that RTX was hot steaming garbage that no one wants.

Also, ambulance chasers suing everyone for anything is much too prevalent in the USA. From the article you linked:
From our vantage point, Schall Law Firm has an uphill battle to climb. The cryptocurrency craze (and subsequent crash, of sorts) was a unique situation. If nothing else, it feels like this sort of lawsuit is jumping the gun, given that NVIDIA stated in November that it had excess stock on its hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMU_Pony

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Hmm, so Total sales estimated from hash rates - AMD sales = Nvidia Sales? Dedicated mining ASICs exist, and they are big part of those sales lol.
The businessinsider article mentions the following and where are you seeing AMD = Nvidia in sales?

"based on the hash rate of ethereum and other cryptocurrencies that require graphics processing units"

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015

Those two articles seem to be unrelated. The Business Insider article is questioning Nvidia's financial reporting while the class action lawsuit is about alleged misleading claims Nvidia made about their distribution channel. They are both about crypto, but the class action lawsuit doesn't seem to be based on the analyst's report.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Those two articles seem to be unrelated. The Business Insider article is questioning Nvidia's financial reporting while the class action lawsuit is about alleged misleading claims Nvidia made about their distribution channel. They are both about crypto, but the class action lawsuit doesn't seem to be based on the analyst's report.
Correct, but the analyst's work independently supports the claim that Nvidia appeared to have mislead investors on their exposure to crypto related sales. All debatable of course and that's why you go to court.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
The businessinsider article mentions the following and where are you seeing AMD = Nvidia in sales?

"based on the hash rate of ethereum and other cryptocurrencies that require graphics processing units"

Total sales estimated from hash rates - AMD sales = Nvidia Sales, not AMD = NVidia in sales. Also, it is not known what proportion of Ethereum's hashrate is from ASICs, could be as low as 10% or as high as 60% according to this article.

https://cryptomenow.com/1-98-billion-worth-of-revenue-from-nvidia-came-from-bitcoin-mining/

Not only that, it is hard to figure out if the GPUs are bought purely for gaming or purely for mining purposes. So regardless of the fact that Nvidia lied or not, it is going to be near impossible to find out.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
untitled130.jpg
file.png

Looks like a good time to buy.

Quote:
"If you are looking for stocks with good return, NVIDIA Corporation can be a profitable investment option. NVIDIA Corporation quote is equal to 153.000 USD at 2019-02-07. Based on our forecasts, a long-term increase is expected, the "NVDA" stock price prognosis for 2024-02-03 is 541.971 USD. With a 5-year investment, the revenue is expected to be around +254.23%. Your current $100 investment may be up to $354.23 in 2024."

https://walletinvestor.com/stock-forecast/nvda-stock-prediction

"
The Prediction
Over the past three years, AMD stock has averaged an annualized total return of 140%, 800 basis points higher than NVDA.

AMD has the momentum.

That said, I’ll always go with the more profitable business. There’s no question that Nvidia is more profitable.

Therefore, I’m going to predict that Nvidia will get to $500 by the end of 2020, while AMD stock will not reach $45 before that time.

May the best stock win."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw3maDznnA-_xVchNwYHlm26&ust=1549614678214327

I think Nvidia can afford a class action suit,though I doubt they will win.

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
View attachment 3090
View attachment 3091

Looks like a good time to buy.

Quote:
"If you are looking for stocks with good return, NVIDIA Corporation can be a profitable investment option. NVIDIA Corporation quote is equal to 153.000 USD at 2019-02-07. Based on our forecasts, a long-term increase is expected, the "NVDA" stock price prognosis for 2024-02-03 is 541.971 USD. With a 5-year investment, the revenue is expected to be around +254.23%. Your current $100 investment may be up to $354.23 in 2024."

https://walletinvestor.com/stock-forecast/nvda-stock-prediction

"
The Prediction
Over the past three years, AMD stock has averaged an annualized total return of 140%, 800 basis points higher than NVDA.

AMD has the momentum.

That said, I’ll always go with the more profitable business. There’s no question that Nvidia is more profitable.

Therefore, I’m going to predict that Nvidia will get to $500 by the end of 2020, while AMD stock will not reach $45 before that time.

May the best stock win."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjP-N3UmqngAhVhhOAKHTR3AmEQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://finance.yahoo.com/news/latest-prediction-amd-nvidia-165352526.html&psig=AOvVaw3maDznnA-_xVchNwYHlm26&ust=1549614678214327

I think Nvidia can afford a class action suit,though I doubt they will win.
When I read statements like this, I immediately doubt the intelligence of the writer. $500 bigger than $45m, right? Must be better, right?

"Therefore, I’m going to predict that Nvidia will get to $500 by the end of 2020, while AMD stock will not reach $45 before that time."

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
When I read statements like this, I immediately doubt the intelligence of the writer. $500 bigger than $45m, right? Must be better, right?

"Therefore, I’m going to predict that Nvidia will get to $500 by the end of 2020, while AMD stock will not reach $45 before that time."
I linked 2 sources that say basically the same thing.

rainy

Jul 17, 2013

No, those are just predictions of so called analysts, especially the second is a ridiculous one.
Nvidia stock will more than triple in less than two years just like that, despite we have more and more signals about upcoming recession.

Btw, your previous post was nothing else to me than damage control over news about Softbank decision.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Financial analysts are only ever smart when looking at the past and inventing meaning to explain something that happened. You can find dozens of predictions from dozens of analysts that very smartly predict every possible thing that will happen to the same stock throughout the year and each individual is of course the only one that is correct. And the ones that turn out to be wrong will very smartly put up an article about how right they were all along, about the thing that they were wrong about.

I've also read a handful of such articles over the last week about how very smart people are arguing that nVidia is catastrophically overpriced and due for a major selloff.

Reactions: lightmanek

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Btw, your previous post was nothing else to me than damage control over news about Softbank decision.

And just like that, it's down 3.5%. Yeha, posting yesterday's open price in response to news that broke this morning? lulz

This will be a pretty bad day for nVidia stock, and everyone knows it. ....but I do think that is stupid that this is the case. Traders react irrationally to normal profit-taking like what happened this morning. It may shed more than 10% today just because of that. But I do agree that it may be a good buying opportunity. nVidia will be fine, but in the handful of sectors that they compete in, compared to the dozens more than AMD targets, they aren't really any more revolutionary or technologically superior to AMD's offerings. It's really all marketing garbage, not that this doesn't mean anything financially, but when I read articles like "absolute superior technology over x company in this sector," I know the author is full of turds.

Reactions: ZGR

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
We're still looking at potentially millions of GPUs waiting to be freed from mining mills. Mostly GTX 1060 through 1080ti, and RX470 through Vega 64.

They've been more stubborn than one might expect, but ever improving ASICs (including some that were just finishing up when the big Eth bubble burst last year) and hopefully proof of stake nail GPU crypto coffin shut forever.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
Based on the data, you conclude a few things.
1. Nvidia knew how big of an impact crypto mining had on its' revenue and tried to down play it. or
2. Nvidia is one of the most incompetent companies out there to miscalculated by that much. Especially when you consider the negative impact the 1st crypto-crash had on AMD.

My bet is on one. Nvidia ain't stupid.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
We're still looking at potentially millions of GPUs waiting to be freed from mining mills. Mostly GTX 1060 through 1080ti, and RX470 through Vega 64.

I wouldn't expect too many 1080Tis actually. They were not great mining cards due to the memory. Vanilla 1080s were actually better.

They've been more stubborn than one might expect, but ever improving ASICs (including some that were just finishing up when the big Eth bubble burst last year) and hopefully proof of stake nail GPU crypto coffin shut forever.

That remains to be seen. Depressed crypto values are doing the most to kill interest in mining right now. XMR stubbornly resists both ASICs and anything other than "traditional" PoW models, so mining it is always going to be an option unless it loses its value to the point that no one would mine it willingly (key word here).