Analyst: Crysis sells 66,000 units?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

samduhman

Jul 18, 2005
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
For myself personally - and I'm not sure if this is the same as for other people - I've just been overwhelmed by all the games coming out lately that I want to play through. I'm still yet to get to CoD4 (just ordered), the Witcher, and Crysis... Not to mention the Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander expansions, Hellgate: London (maybe)... This after I just got through stuff like Orange Box, GoW, WiC, back to Bioshock. It's been a very crowded half-year as far as PC Games are concerned, and I'm loving it, but between this stuff and classes I'm having a hard time keeping up lol.

Im with ^^. TO many good pc games in a handful of months. I've already bought most of the popular titles but most people wouldn't. They will buy one or two titles and stick with it till their done. I have a massive back log of pc games mainly because of games like World of Warcraft, Battlefield 1942 and a couple other online multiplayer games I can't remember right now. The types of games are terrible time sinks. No wonder games don't sell like they used to. I find myself spend 1 to 3 years on one game.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

forget it. you guys are either fanboys or maybe you just wanted this game so bad and you just don't want to admit it sucks.

no wonder we have shitty games these days. everyone seems to think open ended means being able to approach an objective from any direction. wow...

Originally posted by: Slick5150

The problem with your "argument" is that you're stating your opinions as facts that are beyond question. You didn't like the game, we get it. Other people did like it, accept it and move on.

I tend to agree that you state your opinion as fact, but whatever, everyone has strong opinions not a big deal, but Im also a bit confused. What is open ended, I thought open-ended meant exactly the ability to approach an objective from any direction (and hence have a different solution). Not a flame post, but after reading numerous sites, they all seem to say thats what open ended is.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: m0mentary

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

forget it. you guys are either fanboys or maybe you just wanted this game so bad and you just don't want to admit it sucks.

no wonder we have shitty games these days. everyone seems to think open ended means being able to approach an objective from any direction. wow...

The problem with your "argument" is that you're stating your opinions as facts that are beyond question. You didn't like the game, we get it. Other people did like it, accept it and move on.

I tend to agree that you state your opinion as fact, but whatever, everyone has strong opinions not a big deal, but Im also a bit confused. What is open ended, I thought open-ended meant exactly the ability to approach an objective from any direction (and hence have a different solution). Not a flame post, but after reading numerous sites, they all seem to say thats what open ended is.

open ended to me is multiple solutions to a problem. say you have to disable the enemy radio station. you could go into the base and blow up the tower with c4, you could find the enemy communications center and hack into it to disable it, you could kidnap the radio operator and force him to shut it down at gunpoint, etc.

approaching the base from the SE vs. the NW is not open ended. thats just a really piss poor cop out for the definition of open ended.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004

open ended to me is multiple solutions to a problem. say you have to disable the enemy radio station. you could go into the base and blow up the tower with c4, you could find the enemy communications center and hack into it to disable it, you could kidnap the radio operator and force him to shut it down at gunpoint, etc.

approaching the base from the SE vs. the NW is not open ended. thats just a really piss poor cop out for the definition of open ended.

ok so, crysis isn't open ended because regardless you're going to use a gun or a grenade to kill him, just differently? just checking.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

ok so, crysis isn't open ended because regardless you're going to use a gun or a grenade to kill him, just differently? just checking.

:confused: if thats the case then every game is open ended.
if you can't see the difference between what i posted as open ended and your definition of open ended, then this conversation is pointless.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

if you can't see the difference between what i posted as open ended and your definition of open ended, then this conversation is pointless.

haha, completing an objective multiple ways. wait, if the objective is to destroy a armor emplacement, running in with your own tank or sneaking up with c4 are multiple ways.

though i'll admit this conversation is pointless, because unless you've played recent fps games that are not open-ended in ANY way and or so linear in their form it's hard to even sit playing it for an hour, you won't appreciate the amount of open-ended(ness) in crysis.
also, the nanosuit is a ton of fun to play with, so....

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004

I was just trying to see if you meant that in Crysis your options were limited in terms of a solution because Crysis was basically point shoot an kill no matter which way you approached a situation as opposed to your hack example. Like I said this isn't a flame, just trying to understand your viewpoint, but we don't need to get into it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101

haha, completing an objective multiple ways. wait, if the objective is to destroy a armor emplacement, running in with your own tank or sneaking up with c4 are multiple ways.

though i'll admit this conversation is pointless, because unless you've played recent fps games that are not open-ended in ANY way and or so linear in their form it's hard to even sit playing it for an hour, you won't appreciate the amount of open-ended(ness) in crysis.
also, the nanosuit is a ton of fun to play with, so....

didn't someone already talk about stating opinion as fact?

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
I don't have the time to argue with someone who clearly can't understand, but the gameplay is very open ended in the first act.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: videogames101
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

i don't see it.

i see it. I LOVED every single minute of that game.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

um...no..not really. i'd rather have some REAL options as to what I can do in the game.

what other options are you looking for in a FPS?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
I don't know why so many people dismiss Crysis multiplayer so quickly.

I think its because most FPS players shudder at the thought of playing an FPS online with an average frame rate in the 20-30s, with lows being in the teens to match the highs that most considerable playable. I know I do.

Ha, so true. I'm barely making it in terms of framerate in singleplayer. I don't even want to know how low I have to set things for it to be playable in MP. One of the modes sounds interesting, but I still haven't felt like giving it a shot yet. I consider most multiplayer to be tack-ons nowadays for most games, so that's another reason why I haven't tried it yet. I played the hell out of Farcry capture the flag though.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami

um...no..not really. i'd rather have some REAL options as to what I can do in the game.

what other options are you looking for in a FPS?

i've already posted them

Other than the blanket "I want it more open ended," you really haven't. I really think you're just looking to the wrong genre. I've not played Crysis, but from what I've heard from others, read here, etc. it seems pretty open ended for an action shooter. Obviously with this type of game you need to blow something up, and that's the bottom line. True, shooting it, using a grenade, or C4 and approaching from any of the cardinal directions doesn't REALLY make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things - but that's the genre. If you want to take out a command post in a more open ended fashion a la brute force with heavy weapons, stealth and sabotage, hacking the computer system, etc. then stick the hybrid FPS/RPGs. I just don't know if you're going to find this open endedness you seek in an action shooter. Or is there an action shooter that you did find to be open ended?

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Pretty hard to call Crysis a failure after one short month of sales. The holiday season is here... lots of folks upgrading GPU's, etc. so let's see how Crysis does through Dec and Jan before throwing in the towel.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Fardringle
I just had to toss in my opinion that I thought Crysis was very boring to play as well. It looks fabulous, but looks aren't everything and the game play was exactly like pretty much every other FPS shooter ever made: Go here and kill stuff, now go here and kill some more stuff. When you're done killing stuff go blow up that building and then kill some more stuff.

When you combine "more of the same" game play with the need to buy expensive new PC hardware just to take advantage of the eye candy graphics (the only good thing about the game), most people just aren't going to bother.

Folks, we have a winner.

I took one look at it and then decided that like Farcry, it'll be worth it for me to pick up in the bargain bin in a few years' time when my hardware will likely run it in its intended graphical glory.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Deus Ex is open-ended; Crysis is not. Punching turtles and dolphin diving out of the ocean was fun, though.

If you like the freedom in Crysis, spend $10 on OFP and go nuts. Bonus points: it'll run on just about any hardware now.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 450R
Deus Ex is open-ended; Crysis is not. Punching turtles and dolphin diving out of the ocean was fun, though.

If you like the freedom in Crysis, spend $10 on OFP and go nuts. Bonus points: it'll run on just about any hardware now.

deus ex is *much MORE* open ended. it's an FPS/RPG, after all, while crysis is straight FPS.

but if you hold DE as the standard definition of "open ended" then yes, crysis simply will not compare. nor will any other FPS, for that matter :p

*prays DE3 will not suck*