Analyst: Crysis sells 66,000 units?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

No, the game is the typical shooter with a nono suit. I actually started preferring console games. Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden. Games you don't see on PC. I am getting tired of the same old shooters.

it is not, it's open ended approach to the objectives let to use a multitude of play styles, which is aided by the nanosuit.

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

have you played the missions all the way through? it's not justa choice of strategy, it's the chpice of hundreds of different ways to approach objectives, and tons of weapon customization.

weapon customization? you mean attach a grenade launcher or laser sight?

ok, so you can approach the objective from any direction. big deal...it still drills down to stealth then gun battle or just gun battle.

If you don't like shooting stuff, then you probably shouldn't be playing a shooter. Because that's what Crysis is - it just offers more choice and a less linear path than many others. The ability to approach your objective from any angle and to customize your weapons (and your suit) however you see fit is special to me.

forget it. you guys are either fanboys or maybe you just wanted this game so bad and you just don't want to admit it sucks.

no wonder we have shitty games these days. everyone seems to think open ended means being able to approach an objective from any direction. wow...

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
IMO i think crytek was trying to release this game with a graphics level that could compete with part 2 (whenever that arrives). Have you ever played Halo 3 and said "wow, i've got to go break out halo1 and 2 so i can play the whole story" only to stop 15 minutes into halo1 because the graphics sucked? Crytek was trying to prepare for this kind of situation, but cut the legs out from under the game by advertising it that way. they should've released the demos locked on medium so people weren't tagging this game as a computer killer. I bought it because my rig is brand new and have only slight problems running it on high/highest settings. I can imagine why other people don't even pick up a copy. the thing is that this game still looks better than most games on medium, whereas the norm that people believe in is that medium means sucks, so they stay away from it. If i can't run a game on high, i'd never buy it either, that's crysis' downfall and success all in one.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Both COD4 and Crysis made my video card artifact. I had to tune down the AA in COD4 and under clock my card for Crysis.

I have a factory oc'ed 8800GTS from EVGA. Case is open, even though I have 2 intakes and 3 out take fans for air flow.

I can't blame the makers of the game for that. I can only blame Nvidia for pushing the limits of their graphic cards and EVGA. All ready RMA'ed once. 2 overheating graphic cards from EVGA seems more like Nvidia's problem. I should of waitied for the 8800GT.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
For myself personally - and I'm not sure if this is the same as for other people - I've just been overwhelmed by all the games coming out lately that I want to play through. I'm still let to get to CoD4 (just ordered), the Witcher, and Crysis... Not to mention the Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander expansions, Hellgate: London (maybe)... This after I just got through stuff like Orange Box, GoW, WiC, back to Bioshock. It's been a very crowded half-year as far as PC Games are concerned, and I'm loving it, but between this stuff and classes I'm having a hard time keeping up lol.

Same here and if you couple the fact that I simply cannot play Crysis on my rig without making a lot of compromises just means I'm not buying it until I can experience it in the proper way. Thus far I've heard nothing compelling about the gameplay or story that makes me want to go out and buy it right now and put up with the compromises.

I upgraded my video card to play Crysis. After playing about 3 hours I got bored of it. Nothing really new that I haven't seen before. Ended up returning the 8800GT video card back to the store and sold the game to my neighbors kid at a reduced price.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

No, the game is the typical shooter with a nono suit. I actually started preferring console games. Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden. Games you don't see on PC. I am getting tired of the same old shooters.

it is not, it's open ended approach to the objectives let to use a multitude of play styles, which is aided by the nanosuit.

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

have you played the missions all the way through? it's not justa choice of strategy, it's the chpice of hundreds of different ways to approach objectives, and tons of weapon customization.

ok, so you can approach the objective from any direction. big deal...it still drills down to stealth then gun battle or just gun battle.

If you don't like shooting stuff, then you probably shouldn't be playing a shooter. Because that's what Crysis is - it just offers more choice and a less linear path than many others. The ability to approach your objective from any angle and to customize your weapons (and your suit) however you see fit is special to me.

forget it. you guys are either fanboys or maybe you just wanted this game so bad and you just don't want to admit it sucks.

no wonder we have shitty games these days. everyone seems to think open ended means being able to approach an objective from any direction. wow...

A 91% average ratio on GameRankings actually keeps this game out of the sucks category.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
The game doesn't suck. Anyone who says it sucks wouldn't know a good thing if it was staring right at them. These are the same people who bitch and moan about everything, and believe people buy off reviewers.

The game is fantastic.

Most people who think it sucks, had a predetermined opinion of it, and probably didn't even buy the thing. They pirated it, played it for a few hours looking to just reinforce their opinions and thats it.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Pugnate
The game doesn't suck. Anyone who says it sucks wouldn't know a good thing if it was staring right at them. These are the same people who bitch and moan about everything, and believe people buy off reviewers.

The game is fantastic.

Most people who think it sucks, had a predetermined opinion of it, and probably didn't even buy the thing. They pirated it, played it for a few hours looking to just reinforce their opinions and thats it.
after the Core level it does suck for many people including me. the whole pace and style of the game changes and I was very very disappointed in the later levels. its really a shame because the game had so much more potential.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
I don't know why so many people dismiss Crysis multiplayer so quickly. Sure Far Cry mp was lacking, but Crysis mp is actually very dynamic and complete. Between all the buyable equipment and vehicles, there's a huge array of strategies to employ. Add day night cycles on dx10, and it can be very intense with a couple friends on vent. For me, Crysis multiplayer is only second to Wolf:ET, and I've played most of the big name fps's. Tinkering in the Sandbox also adds a couple hours or more of fun.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
I don't know why so many people dismiss Crysis multiplayer so quickly.

I think its because most FPS players shudder at the thought of playing an FPS online with an average frame rate in the 20-30s, with lows being in the teens to match the highs that most considerable playable. I know I do.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I can see why Bioware and Epic are favoring consoles.
Just because game is on the console it doesn't automatically mean it'll sell more (e.g. Manhunt 2 on the Wii, according to that list).

Likewise plenty of PC games have sales figures that rival console games (i.e. 1 million or more). Doom 3 has sold over 2 million units, Half-Life has sold 8 million (likely doesn't include figures from Steam) and Starcraft has sold 9.5 million units.

Additionally, for each console game sale some of that money is going back to the console vendor.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: AdamK47

A 91% average ratio on GameRankings actually keeps this game out of the sucks category.

doesn't mean a damn thing to me. i didn't really care for a lot of games that people here cream their pants over.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
So how badly does Crysis run on your computer Pontifex?

funny. i know you seem to think that has something to do with it.
it runs fine. i don't have everything on high though. looks good enough for me, about the same as CoD4 which I play constantly. hell, even if i did run it at max for everything, it would still be a shitty game. i'm not a grpahics whore like you fanboys seem to be, because thats all you can seem to focus on.

the game is f-ing boring as hell. it has nothing to do with the graphics.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I didn't like Crysis and it ran just fine at max settings for me :confused:. I found it rather boring.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
I enjoyed the demo the second time through after knowing more about what I could do the first time around.

I spent most of the time just stalking the guys and picking them off one at a time ala Predator style.

I think it's a bid odd though that you can grab the guys and they can't move at all despite you not being in max strength mode. You lightly toss them and they still have their guns to use, but if you max strength toss them, they are down for good.

Why were they not able to use their gun while they are being held by your ONE hand??

I had fun running them to the highest cliff (like the hill above the checkpoint...I super jumped up the hill past the checkpoint, grabbed the guard and threw him down below).

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Crysis was only out for two weeks of November. Plus that is just a prediction.
Usually, a highly anticipated game sells far more copies than that, before it hits the shelves.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
it runs fine. i don't have everything on high though. looks good enough for me, about the same as CoD4 which I play constantly. hell, even if i did run it at max for everything, it would still be a shitty game. i'm not a grpahics whore like you fanboys seem to be, because thats all you can seem to focus on.

Actually, it does have to do with graphics. Not so much what you run them at, but whether your settings get smooth framerates. If the game is running sluggish you aren't going to get the same enjoyment out of it as you would a smooth game. This has nothing to do with how it looks.

But you know what, your comments keep spiraling further and further down. Not only are you posting in every single Crysis thread with plenty of negative crap, you are calling people graphics whores, fanboys, etc.

Oh and if Crysis looks "as good as CoD4" then you either have the shittiest settings in the world for Crysis, some secretly hacked CoD4 graphics settings, or a broken monitor because they are worlds apart.

I beat CoD4 and Crysis back to back on a high end machine and I really cannot think of any scenario that would make a person who enjoys FPS games enjoy 1 significantly over the other. For instance, CoD4 has a fun scenario where you attack and then subsequently defend a village on a hill, with a belltower and lots of running around. It's a fun level, but it was very similar to a lot of my village attacks in Crysis. I had the same level of enjoyment from both experiences. CoD4 gave me a cool sequences where I fired from a plane, Crysis gave me a cool sequence where I flew a VTOL through an entire island. Crysis gave me the very unique end battle and caves though, which CoD4 really doesn't have anything to compare to.

I suppose, depending on what settings you chose, Crysis might have been significantly more difficult to survive in.

Albeit, since Crysis is more free-roaming, I guess how boring it is will depend on how imaginative the player is, while CoD4 is railed, so the experience is always going to be similar. That could explain why you found one boring and the other not I suppose.

One of my favorite experiences in Crysis is when I had one of these huge trailers. They weren't really good vehicles, but the game lets you get in pretty much anything that still runs. So I grabbed this instead of a regular jeep. Anyhow, I'm driving down the road, not going exceptionally fast, but steamrolling along and the armor seems to be holding out. Theres enemies all around me, shooting out my tires and I'm losing control of the vehicle. I go barreling into an enemy building, smashing one of the walls in. Then I hop out and start running away, the guys that I drove past are all closing in on me. I start shooting at the gas tank on the truck, it blows up, blowing the entire building and several trees up around this base. Then in the chaos, I hide in some high grass by a hill and start taking people down with my silenced pistol until I've cleared the perimeter. Unfortunately, my short sightedness left me without a vehicle until the next base, but it was a fun move.

Another fun experience was when I had to infiltrate one of the more heavily defended bases. It was clear that I could simply open fire and then start picking guys off as they came to defend the area. But that seemed pretty boring, I wanted to make use of the powers. So I stealthed around the right side of the base. There was a mine field and some barbed wire. My first attempt got me blown up, it seemed the mines had some pretty odd/strict blow up radiuses and got me even with my strength jump over them, maybe I misjudged it. So I picked a better spot, and bam, success, I jumped way up there, over the mines and the barbed wire and into their base. Not a perfect plan though because I was now surrounded and someone had saw something come over the wall, investigation was now under way. So I started stealthing from 1 object to the next. I had to find spots between patrol routes where I could recharge my stealth. But finally I managed to make it to a solid spot where I could setup a whole number of deaths to happen in a row. It ended up making the whole base attack much more risky but a lot of fun and chaos.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Actually, it does have to do with graphics. Not so much what you run them at, but whether your settings get smooth framerates. If the game is running sluggish you aren't going to get the same enjoyment out of it as you would a smooth game. This has nothing to do with how it looks.

But you know what, your comments keep spiraling further and further down. Not only are you posting in every single Crysis thread with plenty of negative crap, you are calling people graphics whores, fanboys, etc.

Oh and if Crysis looks "as good as CoD4" then you either have the shittiest settings in the world for Crysis, some secretly hacked CoD4 graphics settings, or a broken monitor because they are worlds apart.

I beat CoD4 and Crysis back to back on a high end machine and I really cannot think of any scenario that would make a person who enjoys FPS games enjoy 1 significantly over the other. For instance, CoD4 has a fun scenario where you attack and then subsequently defend a village on a hill, with a belltower and lots of running around. It's a fun level, but it was very similar to a lot of my village attacks in Crysis. I had the same level of enjoyment from both experiences. CoD4 gave me a cool sequences where I fired from a plane, Crysis gave me a cool sequence where I flew a VTOL through an entire island. Crysis gave me the very unique end battle and caves though, which CoD4 really doesn't have anything to compare to.

I suppose, depending on what settings you chose, Crysis might have been significantly more difficult to survive in.

Albeit, since Crysis is more free-roaming, I guess how boring it is will depend on how imaginative the player is, while CoD4 is railed, so the experience is always going to be similar. That could explain why you found one boring and the other not I suppose.

One of my favorite experiences in Crysis is when I had one of these huge trailers. They weren't really good vehicles, but the game lets you get in pretty much anything that still runs. So I grabbed this instead of a regular jeep. Anyhow, I'm driving down the road, not going exceptionally fast, but steamrolling along and the armor seems to be holding out. Theres enemies all around me, shooting out my tires and I'm losing control of the vehicle. I go barreling into an enemy building, smashing one of the walls in. Then I hop out and start running away, the guys that I drove past are all closing in on me. I start shooting at the gas tank on the truck, it blows up, blowing the entire building and several trees up around this base. Then in the chaos, I hide in some high grass by a hill and start taking people down with my silenced pistol until I've cleared the perimeter. Unfortunately, my short sightedness left me without a vehicle until the next base, but it was a fun move.

Another fun experience was when I had to infiltrate one of the more heavily defended bases. It was clear that I could simply open fire and then start picking guys off as they came to defend the area. But that seemed pretty boring, I wanted to make use of the powers. So I stealthed around the right side of the base. There was a mine field and some barbed wire. My first attempt got me blown up, it seemed the mines had some pretty odd/strict blow up radiuses and got me even with my strength jump over them, maybe I misjudged it. So I picked a better spot, and bam, success, I jumped way up there, over the mines and the barbed wire and into their base. Not a perfect plan though because I was now surrounded and someone had saw something come over the wall, investigation was now under way. So I started stealthing from 1 object to the next. I had to find spots between patrol routes where I could recharge my stealth. But finally I managed to make it to a solid spot where I could setup a whole number of deaths to happen in a row. It ended up making the whole base attack much more risky but a lot of fun and chaos.

keep going. you have no clue what you are talking about.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Are you trying to make the leap from valid poster to certified troll?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

no...i'm just telling you that you have no clue.

my pc runs Crysis at a smooth frame rate. It's not all choppy like you seem to be insinuating.

I already told you I can't run Crysis on the max settings. I don't have Vista so I can't use the DX10 settings either, so the game doesn't look as good as it could. I think CoD4's graphics are pretty damn good and the settings I'm using for Crysis make it look about as good as CoD4. Again, I'm not worried about the precious graphics in Crysis. Based on all the talk about the graphics and making it run great continues to make me think the graphics are the only reason people are buying the game.

Just because the 2 games have you shooting guns at enemies doesn't mean they are comparable at all. CoD4 has an engaging story that makes you really feel part of the game. Crysis has the same cliched, rehashed story and setting as Far Cry. The story is also next to non-existent.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001

my pc runs Crysis at a smooth frame rate. It's not all choppy like you seem to be insinuating.

I already told you I can't run Crysis on the max settings. I don't have Vista so I can't use the DX10 settings either, so the game doesn't look as good as it could. I think CoD4's graphics are pretty damn good and the settings I'm using for Crysis make it look about as good as CoD4. Again, I'm not worried about the precious graphics in Crysis. Based on all the talk about the graphics and making it run great continues to make me think the graphics are the only reason people are buying the game.

Just because the 2 games have you shooting guns at enemies doesn't mean they are comparable at all. CoD4 has an engaging story that makes you really feel part of the game. Crysis has the same cliched, rehashed story and setting as Far Cry. The story is also next to non-existent.

The problem with your "argument" is that you're stating your opinions as facts that are beyond question. You didn't like the game, we get it. Other people did like it, accept it and move on.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Slick5150

The problem with your "argument" is that you're stating your opinions as facts that are beyond question. You didn't like the game, we get it. Other people did like it, accept it and move on.

and thats different from the arguments of the people telling me the opposite of what i am saying, how?