Analyst: Crysis sells 66,000 units?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I just had to toss in my opinion that I thought Crysis was very boring to play as well. It looks fabulous, but looks aren't everything and the game play was exactly like pretty much every other FPS shooter ever made: Go here and kill stuff, now go here and kill some more stuff. When you're done killing stuff go blow up that building and then kill some more stuff.

When you combine "more of the same" game play with the need to buy expensive new PC hardware just to take advantage of the eye candy graphics (the only good thing about the game), most people just aren't going to bother.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: pontifex
you need more than pretty graphics to sell a game.

Have you played the game? It's far from a tech demo--I really enjoyed the game overall.

Yes, I own it. I got to a certain point and have no more interest in playing it. It's boring as hell.

I'm curious--did you buy/play Far Cry?

yes. wasn't impressed with that game either

I'm wondering why you got Crysis then?

was looking for a new game to play and i thought i;d give it a chance. i should also be getting 20% cash back from it too.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Fardringle
I just had to toss in my opinion that I thought Crysis was very boring to play as well. It looks fabulous, but looks aren't everything and the game play was exactly like pretty much every other FPS shooter ever made: Go here and kill stuff, now go here and kill some more stuff. When you're done killing stuff go blow up that building and then kill some more stuff.

When you combine "more of the same" game play with the need to buy expensive new PC hardware just to take advantage of the eye candy graphics (the only good thing about the game), most people just aren't going to bother.

From the sounds of it you don't like FPS SP games... So why even buy them?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

While I have no problem that you found Crysis boring, whatever floats your boat, the "formula" you described applies to about 99% of all action games out there. Maybe you dislike the genre...who knows.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Imp

While I have no problem that you found Crysis boring, whatever floats your boat, the "formula" you described applies to about 99% of all action games out there. Maybe you dislike the genre...who knows.

to be honest, that IS the shooter genre, but crysis was so open ended in how you could approac things, it made the game so much fun. I replayed the game last weekend, this time going for stealth, and it was like playing an entirely different game then the last time i went through, run and gun style...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: videogames101
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

No, the game is the typical shooter with a nono suit. I actually started preferring console games. Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden. Games you don't see on PC. I am getting tired of the same old shooters.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
people who say it takes more then pretty graphics to sell a game, let me point out that the game is fall on your ass amazing to play. I think the porblem is that the hardware reqs were just too high, which would lead m eto beleive it will sell better as better hardware gets cheaper.

No, the game is the typical shooter with a nono suit. I actually started preferring console games. Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden. Games you don't see on PC. I am getting tired of the same old shooters.

it is not, it's open ended approach to the objectives let to use a multitude of play styles, which is aided by the nanosuit.

Oct 30, 2004
It's depressing that these recent FPS releases are having such dismal sales. Could this be the coming of the apocalypse for PC gaming? I sure do hope UT3 sales pick up since it's probably the best of the online multiplayer FPS games.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I'm not surprised. We were actually talking about how no one could run Crysis in my compsci class (and I had to say that I could, of course). No one buys it because they can't play it. Really stupid on Crytek's part.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I'm not surprised. We were actually talking about how no one could run Crysis in my compsci class (and I had to say that I could, of course). No one buys it because they can't play it. Really stupid on Crytek's part.

In the business sense yeah, but on the other hand, I'll give them credit for trying to appease the graphic whores. Even still, most people won't care about the business side and demand pretty looking games regardless.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

it is not, it's open ended approach to the objectives let to use a multitude of play styles, which is aided by the nanosuit.

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
you need more than pretty graphics to sell a game.

Have you played the game? It's far from a tech demo--I really enjoyed the game overall.

Yes, I own it. I got to a certain point and have no more interest in playing it. It's boring as hell.

I'm curious--did you buy/play Far Cry?

yes. wasn't impressed with that game either

Agreed, it was very pretty and you got to drive around, but beyond that, it was not that great.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Um... my dad just picked up Crysis... he's running it on a P4 2.3Ghz (single core), 1GB RAM, nVidia 8300 GT (sub$200 card) system. It runs smooth on mostly low (a couple med) settings (obviously no FSAA/AF). You don't need the latest and greatest to play it... just if you want to play it on Very High settings. :roll: The only annoying thing was rocks and other environmental bits "popping" into view as I progressed. And for the record, I was hooked as soon as I gave it a try. I stopped by my dad's place to make sushi with him and my GF... they have to rip me away from the keyboard just so we could eat. ;)

IMHO, if it's not selling well, it's because of console hardware/software sales being so high atm. The Wii is kicking ass all over the place, and the Xbox and PS3 have had some big software sales recently. Consoles are in the lime-light, and no one has money with all that's being spent on them.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Um... my dad just picked up Crysis... he's running it on a P4 2.3Ghz (single core), 1GB RAM, nVidia 8300 GT (sub$200 card) system. It runs smooth on mostly low (a couple med) settings (obviously no FSAA/AF). You don't need the latest and greatest to play it... just if you want to play it on Very High settings. :roll: The only annoying thing was rocks and other environmental bits "popping" into view as I progressed. And for the record, I was hooked as soon as I gave it a try. I stopped by my dad's place to make sushi with him and my GF... they have to rip me away from the keyboard just so we could eat. ;)

IMHO, if it's not selling well, it's because of console hardware/software sales being so high atm. The Wii is kicking ass all over the place, and the Xbox and PS3 have had some big software sales recently. Consoles are in the lime-light, and no one has money with all that's being spent on them.

i don't think thats the argument. the argument is that the game is hyped for its amazing graphics (because it falls short on everything else) and to play it with those amazing graphics (as its intended), you need a monster system.

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
It's depressing that these recent FPS releases are having such dismal sales. Could this be the coming of the apocalypse for PC gaming? I sure do hope UT3 sales pick up since it's probably the best of the online multiplayer FPS games.

These are predictions, not actual sell-through numbers. The sky isn't falling (yet). :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k

i don't think thats the argument. the argument is that the game is hyped for its amazing graphics (because it falls short on everything else) and to play it with those amazing graphics (as its intended), you need a monster system.

i played the demo smoothly with my rig (1280x1024 with most things on high @ 25-30fps), and it's nowhere *near* an 8800 level. you can buy my rig for like... $600 all said and done, monitor and speakers included.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Crysis was fun, though I wouldn't categorize it as a game for all. The only place I saw it really being promoted to the point of any other game was on tech forums such as this one... I never saw a commercial on TV that many of the other titles were promoted on and I have yet seen it bundled with any hardware.

I think the game is just too hardware demanding for the general consumer at this point.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

i'm sorry but no, the game is not open ended. you people need to quit saying it is.
going in guns blazing vs. sneaking in stealth then guns blazing is not much of a choice.

have you played the missions all the way through? it's not justa choice of strategy, it's the chpice of hundreds of different ways to approach objectives, and tons of weapon customization.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

have you played the missions all the way through? it's not justa choice of strategy, it's the chpice of hundreds of different ways to approach objectives, and tons of weapon customization.

weapon customization? you mean attach a grenade launcher or laser sight?

ok, so you can approach the objective from any direction. big deal...it still drills down to stealth then gun battle or just gun battle.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

ok, so you can approach the objective from any direction. big deal...it still drills down to stealth then gun battle or just gun battle.

yes, it is a big deal. thats what makes it fun, obviously, you don't find the freedom of entering from any direction that important to you.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

yes, it is a big deal. thats what makes it fun, obviously, you don't find the freedom of entering from any direction that important to you.

um...no..not really. i'd rather have some REAL options as to what I can do in the game.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

um...no..not really. i'd rather have some REAL options as to what I can do in the game.

such as?

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006

If you don't like shooting stuff, then you probably shouldn't be playing a shooter. Because that's what Crysis is - it just offers more choice and a less linear path than many others. The ability to approach your objective from any angle and to customize your weapons (and your suit) however you see fit is special to me.