An idea inspired by Rossman and the LCD Dell's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I have never lost any money.

The worst was "breaking even" but I did lose my "time" which I guess is worth some $

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Damn, it's been such a long time since i've seen a "Hot Deal", that I figured there was a way I could just buy around it, so to speak. :disgust:

I wish Newegg offered some kind of volume discount. Is it true they have like 100 order every 10 minutes? I ordered 3 things from newegg back to back with like a 10 min delay between each order and their SO# shot up by 90 or so each time :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Nothing special. That order is PEANUTS compared to what some of the hard core FW/B$ Hot Dealers do in volume. They routinely spend $50k a month, re-sell usually reaping $5-8k per month profit.

Wow, there REALLY are people like that on this forum? ;) :p

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
im pretty sure some people on here make a living buyign and reselling, though i imagine that dealign with customers and it must get time comsuming.

So is it worth it rossman?

if so why havent you gone fulltime with it

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: LukFilm
Nothing special. That order is PEANUTS compared to what some of the hard core FW/B$ Hot Dealers do in volume. They routinely spend $50k a month, re-sell usually reaping $5-8k per month profit.

Wow, there REALLY are people like that on this forum? ;) :p

more on other forums. this is what they do for a living.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
im pretty sure some people on here make a living buyign and reselling, though i imagine that dealign with customers and it must get time comsuming.

It is time consuming.

I need a guaranteed source of income which reselling cannot offer me.

Also it's a HUGE risk you are taking ordering 20 - 100 of something, hoping the demand is high but supply is low ... when you receive the merchandise, the market could flip and you have to sell AT COST or below.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN

It is time consuming.

I need a guaranteed source of income which reselling cannot offer me.

Also it's a HUGE risk you are taking ordering 20 - 100 of something, hoping the demand is high but supply is low ... when you receive the merchandise, the market could flip and you have to sell AT COST or below.

I agree with this statement. There's a certain way to move things. Usually you get it half financed by businesses around you where you can sell a bunch to them. Half on ebay, half to friends. You basically move things as fast as you can.

I've been bailed out a few times by my company. We're a growing startup so when I overspend and prices drop they buy the systems off me...

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Lazee
First, this idea is inspired by a pic i saw long time ago where Rossman had a crapload of LCD's from Dell that he sold off.

Me and a couple of people are slowly deciding we want flat panel's. Rather then pay for retail one by one, one of us, after collecting enough peeps, wants to buy a crapload like Rossman did and hopefully find a place where there will be a sweet discount due to volume order.

How many monitor's do you think we need to order and where would I get it from without totally going into the reseller business? Or if do get into the reseller business (a bunch of us have our own businesses) where's a good place to approach?

I was searching around the dell small business for a bit but couldn't find anything on the reseller program unless that "Premier Dell" is the reseller program.

The infamous Dell 18" are looking mighty delicious... :brokenheart:

By the way...good luck with their reseller program. I can get better prices online than I can buying 50 systems through their premier division. Dell has a VAR program which basically sucks. There's only one reason you would ever join the VAR Program. They then have a premier division which is 50k a year. You have to already have spent 25k with them to qualify. Their prices are WORSE than what you'd get online.

I once posed the question so what's the point of buying through the reseller program if I can get better prices online on everything and my rep says well because we can save you on latitudes and other models but not inspirons and dimensions as they're sold below cost on the website. The reseller program discount? 3%.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
First, this idea is inspired by a pic i saw long time ago where Rossman had a crapload of LCD's from Dell that he sold off.

Me and a couple of people are slowly deciding we want flat panel's. Rather then pay for retail one by one, one of us, after collecting enough peeps, wants to buy a crapload like Rossman did and hopefully find a place where there will be a sweet discount due to volume order.

How many monitor's do you think we need to order and where would I get it from without totally going into the reseller business? Or if do get into the reseller business (a bunch of us have our own businesses) where's a good place to approach?

I was searching around the dell small business for a bit but couldn't find anything on the reseller program unless that "Premier Dell" is the reseller program.

By the way...good luck with their reseller program. I can get better prices online than I can buying 50 systems through their premier division. Dell has a VAR program which basically sucks. There's only one reason you would ever join the VAR Program. They then have a premier division which is 50k a year. You have to already have spent 25k with them to qualify. Their prices are WORSE than what you'd get online.

I once posed the question so what's the point of buying through the reseller program if I can get better prices online on everything and my rep says well because we can save you on latitudes and other models but not inspirons and dimensions as they're sold below cost on the website. The reseller program discount? 3%.

wow. That's disgusting. Ah well, the Dell Lcd's are just one example of a brand. We are open to NEC, Planar's, sony, Hitachi, etc etc... I guess I'll start approaching and talking to certain distributors and such.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1

wow. That's disgusting. Ah well, the Dell Lcd's are just one example of a brand. We are open to NEC, Planar's, sony, Hitachi, etc etc... I guess I'll start approaching and talking to certain distributors and such.

Distributors are worthless too...their prices are worse than Dell's when they have 15% off coupons.