An explanation...and apology.....

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hello everyone,

A little explanation of where I've been....and an upcoming apology....

Today, my wife left me.....over something that I should have had under control long ago....but always thought that I would, or could, do at anytime I wished....and that's get off the PC and love her and my children. I do love them very much, but never showed them the way that they should have been shown....and now I pay the price. I have decided to do what I should have done so long ago....but yet ignored the warning signs so many times....and that is to finally adbandon my PC's. I don't know what the future holds for me and my family, but I've got to take the first step in getting back to where I belong....

Now an apology.....I, because of the above circumstances, have decided to stop (permananently? ) running any DC projects. I love this TeAm...but I love my wife and kids more and until I can learn to control my contant PC urges, I'm giving it all up. I'm so very sorry to the TeAm about this decision...but I've got to make it. I have turned them all off and, at one point, had cancelled my internet connection........

I do owe this TeAm much more than I have given...especially those who helped the SETI TeAm in our need. I will, at some point, try to repay all those great TeAmmates who have done so much for us. Sorry I can't do it right now....

I love all of you guys...but my family has to be my first love....and I do love them more than anything.

God bless you all.....and I'll see you when I get my life under control.......

Engineer....turning the light out for now....

Robert

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
no need to appologize man, you are making a decision that anyone with their right mind would make! you need to cherish those around you and especially your family! the TeAm will always be here should you decide that your life is back in order and this again becomes a priority hopefully on a very minute basis. you have family here, but your real life family dwarfs in comparison the family you have on here! you sound like you are doing the right thing, i just hope for you and your families sake that it isnt too little to late. please dont appologize for being human and making a decision that is BEST for you and your loved ones! the TeAm will miss you greatly but we will survive and you will forever be a member of this family. i have only been a member of the TeAm for a short time but i have enjoyed your posts and contributions toward these forums and the DC projects. god bless you and your family and i hope that your decision will benefit you now and for the near future! best wishes!

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Robert, sorry to hear that circumstances have come to what they are, but it's good to see you've got your priorities figured out(now) and you know what's really important to you. ;)

I'll say a prayer that your wife will be open to forgiving you and will give you another chance to prove your devotion to her and the family.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sorry to hear this Robert. My thoughts and prayers are with you. The good news is that you've made this decision before it's too late. Do everything you have to do to get your loved ones back in your life... they are irreplaceable! LMK if there is anything I can do to help in any way.

Geoff

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001

Robert.
You have made a wise choice. I know what it is like losing your family because of an addiction.
I have not had a drink in over 7 years and wouldn?t change that choice for anything, except to have done it sooner.

I was too late with my choice. But got lucky and a great woman found me at my lowest point and saved what was left.
I think we all would, if given the opportunity to do so, would ask your wife to give just one more time for the TeAm.

I will pray that you made the change in time.

I hope that you will not see this for a while.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
whoa, I'm totally bummed by this news. :(

Robert, you go get her back ... no matter what it takes.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Robert, this really is sad news. I honestly hope that you and you're family can work things out. Although I don't have a wife and kids, I'm kinda movin in the same direction...

Thanx for all you've done for this TeAm and thanx for being such a GREAT guy and TeAmMate! God bless you and you're family. Stay well and we'll miss you!

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well, that is a shock. I suspect Robert has, in fact, turned out the lights for now, and can?t read this, but I too wish him luck in regaining his family.

Robert and I exchanged a few addiction jokes, publicly and privately, but as is often the case there was a thread of reality there. I also know how harmful substance addiction can be, but I have no experience in this. I do know that if this group could will it, everything would be made right immediately.

Robert, if you do read this,................you have made the right decision. Be strong, and good luck.

wischeez

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2004
Robert, Family comes first. We all know that. Do what you need to do and get YOUR family back together. We are all praying for you. All of your TeAmmates here know how addicting this can be, but sometimes you have to take a step back and get your priorities in line. God Bless and thanks for all you've done for myself and the TeAm.

Tom

No apologies needed.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Engy, you did what you had to do, and that's all anyone can ask. If you ever need anything, be it someone to talk to, or some support, you know where to find it. Good luck.:)

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Sorry to hear it Engineer. Everyone here wishes you all the best in getting things sorted out. We'll all crunch on hard for you and when you (hopefully) get back, we'll still be pounding BBR and maybe even giving S@N a run! :)

Best of luck,
Jeremy

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
WOW Ouch!

Thanks for the reminder Engineer.

I think I'll disconnect and go spend some time with my wife!

The client crunches faster if I don't use the computer anyway.

zaph

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2001
Robert,
Go to your family, they rightly should be first in your life.
For all you've done for the team, you will not be forgotten, but here's hoping that you are remembered as a husband and a dad first and foremost.
You have my respect, and my prayers and wishes.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I don't think an apology to the team is necessary, or even proper in these circumstances. Go be with your family. It was good to have you around, but it will be better for them to have you now. Good luck, and I think we all wish you the best. :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I do owe this TeAm much more than I have given

I personally feel you have that statement wrong, it's us who owe you IMO.

I love all of you guys...but my family has to be my first love....and I do love them more than anything.

Good luck & God Bless Engineer :beer:

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
I'm not quite sure what to say, but rest assured, you made the right decisions. Your family is much more important than our TeAm here, and we'll always welcome you back with open arms, something many people cannot do.

Best of luck to you, your wife, and your children, I hope everything works out in everyones favor.

You've been a vital part of our community, and I cannot express enough thanks.

Now, get back to your family!

/whacks Engineer with a his own cane! ;)

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I just spoke with Robert. He has not been on the forums since he posted. I told him of the outpouring of sympathy and support from his TeAm Mates.

He wanted me to express to all of you his heart-felt thanks.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Robert, great move - I only hope it wasn't too late.
You are once again in my prayers, God bless you and your family.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Robert,

When and if you get the chance to read these posts, and this one, I am sure you will find that computers are not everything. Believe me, I know. I have weened myself away from my computer much more now that I have a baby on the way, house to look for, and a new job. I have been in your shoes before and it's not easy. Playing sims or UT till 4am and remembering you have work in two hours. That's when I started to tell myself, just check your Emails, and check the forums and get off the computer. I rarely play games anymore. Everyone keeps telling me to play UT again, but, I just can't and really don't want to anymore. It's nice once and a great while. But everyday, everynight, and throwing chores away just to play a stupid computer game? I found it wasn't worth it.

Eluding my friends and family turned out to be a bad sign that I was addicted. And I feel that you will find the answer soon. You took the first step and walked away. You will be back. I know you will. But not for a while, and only for a few min at a time. I admire that.

I have to say that I am really amazed that a lot of you members can even get away with the amount of computer use that you do. Dennis, I don't want to pick on you, but I am amazed your wife hasn't put her foot down as well. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but maybe some other members will get something out of this as well. Not only for Robert.

Robert, I don't tell this to too many people, and well, everyone will read this, but I am pulling for you. Everything will come out fine, and believe it or not, your life will benifit from all this. Including your marriage.

Good luck and hope to see you back soon. And maybe not so often. :D

Wolfie
Matt

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
All the hope & inspiration you've shown this team over the years is a testament to the will & determination you have in your own heart. Let her see that man again, & hopefully she will understand. GL.:)

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Coquito
All the hope & inspiration you've shown this team over the years is a testament to the will & determination you have in your own heart. Let her see that man again, & hopefully she will understand. GL.:)

Well said.

Robert, my prayers are with you and your family, and that you can work things out. No need to apologize to us, we understand, and you've given so much to the team. Now is the time to give that much and more to your family.

And Wolfie, while there was a time that between DC and UT I spent a huge amount of time online, I have curtailed my PC time a lot from the past. There are even days (rare though) I don't even log on. :Q :)