An AMD Mantle users Testing BF4.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
A little too early for naysayers to gloat .

I don't think I said what you think I said.

I was pointing out that each individual game within the engine still has to be coded for Mantle, so we still haven't seen what the engine "supporting" it means.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

I was pointing out that each individual game within the engine still has to be coded for Mantle, so we still haven't seen what the engine "supporting" it means.

I'm sure the goal is to get the engines automated to the point that all the low hanging fruit optimizations(cpu) are done automatically. If they can get to that then politics would be the only reason not to have mantle.

I think this announcement does a lot to convince people mantle is the real deal.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I'm sure the goal is to get the engines automated to the point that all the low hanging fruit optimizations(cpu) are done automatically. If they can get to that then politics would be the only reason not to have mantle.

I think this announcement does a lot to convince people mantle is the real deal.

Yes sir, this isn't Physx or 3D Vision to say the least.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
Well, I would rather turn the eye candy off and use the unused GPU grunt on applying a higher SSAA (upping the rendering scale %). At least that's what I did for a while.

Playing with all the eyecandy on SP or MP for a few days does it for me, after that I just run the most performance oriented settings, along with some settings that give you a little of a advantage (mesh quality on ultra lets you see stuff and spot them farther away than on lower settings, for pilots is a must)

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

Not sure about that. Game code should be fully separate from engine code.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Just did a couple of benchmarks with 14.3b (and this time I remembered to restart the game switching between D3D and mantle :p)

D3D Mantle percentage increase
Ultra 62,9 66,3 +5,4
High 93,2 105,2 +12,9
Low 140,6 164,7 +17,1

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
More worst case scenario testing. I have in my possession now a gtx780 and an r9 290. Siege of Shanghai is a great map for showing CPU limits in BF4 under direct X. Server is 64 players conquest.

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
Windows 7
Same settings for all cards.
1920x1080
All settings to lowest values
Filtering 16x
Textures to Ultra
Mesh Quality to Ultra
HBAO/SSAO Off

The gtx780 is running at 1176mhz and mem at 6502mhz(highes stable overclock on stock bios), but is downclocking because the CPU isn't feeding it at this location.
V2sq8b0.png

R9 290 Tri-X OC @ stock clocks (1000mhz core) in direct x 11 I didn't have afterburner installed when I took these so I'm not sure if clocks were maxed in this screenshot or not.
oaVAbSx.png

R9 290 Tri-X OC in Mantle
NgI3jXR.png

I'm not sure how much the skyscraper being down effects performance. All I know is that the gtx780 and r9 290 are hitting the same CPU bottleneck in this location (lowest performing spot I could find on the map). LOD between the amd and nvidia card seems to be a wash in dx11. Some details missing that are in the other screen for both shots, and this may be due to texture crawling because of my lack of AA.

I'll will try later to get a shot in mantle of the same location with the skyscraper up. It should be noted that there are 2 tanks, and more players visible in the mantle shot so it should in theory be more taxing than the two dx11 shots.

Mantle nearly doubles my minimums in this location. It should also be noted that even when dx11 is running at 120fps mantle has a definite perceived smoothness advantage. Something about BF4 also makes anything below 90fps @ 120hz nearly unplayable. It introduces massive amounts of input lag and stuttering.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
VulgarDisplay, you never specified whether you were running Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. The latter would boost performance considerably in CPU limited situations on the GTX 780 in BF4.

And when NVidia releases it's secret sauce drivers in a few weeks, I bet performance will be even higher..

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
VulgarDisplay, you never specified whether you were running Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. The latter would boost performance considerably in CPU limited situations on the GTX 780 in BF4.

And when NVidia releases it's secret sauce drivers in a few weeks, I bet performance will be even higher..

I'm on windows 7. There has to be someone out there with a 2500k @ 4.5ghz and either a gtx780 or r9 290 to take a shot from the exact same location in direct X.

I highly doubt windows 8.1 is going to provide a 60fps increase.

I also updated my first post.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I'm on windows 7. There has to be someone out there with a 2500k @ 4.5ghz and either a gtx780 or r9 290 to take a shot from the exact same location in direct X.

I highly doubt windows 8.1 is going to provide a 60fps increase.

I also updated my first post.

The BF4 forums are replete with posts of users who experienced massive performance gains on Windows 8/8.1 compared to Windows 7.. The more CPU limited you are, the bigger the gain..

Youtuber gains 20 FPS in move to Windows 8.1.

Post on BL forums.

Just a few examples.. I'm not saying Mantle won't still be faster, but the gap should be decreased substantially by moving to Windows 8.1..

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Keep the 780 until Nvidia's next driver, it should improve their minimums by 100% and bring it up to match Mantle in efficiency if Nvidia isn't spewing empty PR while in damage control mode.

HWfreak

Mar 15, 2014
Keep the 780 until Nvidia's next driver, it should improve their minimums by 100% and bring it up to match Mantle in efficiency if Nvidia isn't spewing empty PR while in damage control mode.

Well, aside from them using Metro as an illustration for CPU efficiency, which is an obvious fallacy.

I just ran Star Swarm in Mantle on a low setting that leaves me completely (CPU bound) My GPU is much much weaker than a 780TI and yet with a 4 year old AMD CPU i was able to get 102 FPS. If the much more powerful 780TI is only getting 70 FPS then it must be because its bottlenecked by that 3960K in DX, despite it being so much more powerful than my CPU the performance is 60% less than what i get in Mantle.
That tells one all they need to know.

Also, remember that DX12 is primarily to improve performance on the XB1, because that is an AMD system it will automatically transfer to AMD GPU's

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

I may, but it doesn't OC very well and the fans are clicking after 1 week.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
The BF4 forums are replete with posts of users who experienced massive performance gains on Windows 8/8.1 compared to Windows 7.. The more CPU limited you are, the bigger the gain..

Youtuber gains 20 FPS in move to Windows 8.1.

Post on BL forums.

Just a few examples.. I'm not saying Mantle won't still be faster, but the gap should be decreased substantially by moving to Windows 8.1..

Man, that's a shame because I wouldn't use Windows 8 if my life depended on it.
Windows 7 until SteamOS.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Man, that's a shame because I wouldn't use Windows 8 if my life depended on it.
Windows 7 until SteamOS.

This is so typical for MS. It's really bad since MT support is supposed to be a DX11 feature, not a Win8.1 feature. This is like charging for a patch.