An $ 800 Mid-range Gaming Rig

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I paid £130 for mine, that was two years ago. Expensive as hell but I'm going to keep it for a long time to come.

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
I also still use an original i7 like you do. An i7 860 @ 3.8 Ghz......I know the i5 2500k overclocked is faster but not fast enough for me to jump on it. A Multi overclock is easy, a FSB oc is a bit more difficult.

My video card upgrade next week will do me till Intel's HASWELL is released.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I went from a Core i7 860 oc to 2600k stock and it was a worth it upgrade even without overclocking the 2600k. Numbers and FPS aren't everything. It is the experience that matters (in this case 2600k plays games far more smoother and FPS don't explain this) and there CPUs get upgraded enough with each generation (no idea how Ivy would fare though).

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
My monthly mortgage payments factor into my upgrades too, but I feel with an HD7950 Oc edition overclocked farther (which I will do, add a bit of voltage) it will satisfy my needs at single monitor 1920 x 1080 gaming. My cpu is still decent, better then ANY amd cpu for gaming STILL....(after 3 yrs)

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
Hey guyz,guyz ,I know u people got a lot more dough than me.but I'm still a student so..................never mind,oneday I'm gonna have it !And as recommended i'm going with i5-2400(no doubts about that).But suggest me a good mobo ONLY FROM ASUS.yes u heard It correct,ONLY FROM ASUS.I simply cannot trust others in the quality and service.I donot plan on an SSD,It's kinda luxury for me.So sticking with P67 will be a better solution.BTW can I look into H77,B77 and all those Z77 cut-out mobos ??

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
But suggest me a good mobo ONLY FROM ASUS.yes u heard It correct,ONLY FROM ASUS.I simply cannot trust others in the quality and service.I donot plan on an SSD

In that case, buy an Asus H61 board like P8H61-M LE/CSM. It costs a bit more than the Asrock board and comes with 3 year warranty, but lacks USB3.0 and SATA6gb/s. You shouldn't consider other Asus boards because they'd inevitably push you overbudget.

Upgrade_Itch

Apr 25, 2012
Hey guyz,guyz ,I know u people got a lot more dough than me.but I'm still a student so..................never mind,oneday I'm gonna have it !And as recommended i'm going with i5-2400(no doubts about that).But suggest me a good mobo ONLY FROM ASUS.yes u heard It correct,ONLY FROM ASUS.I simply cannot trust others in the quality and service.I donot plan on an SSD,It's kinda luxury for me.So sticking with P67 will be a better solution.BTW can I look into H77,B77 and all those Z77 cut-out mobos ??

Get the i5 2500k not the 2400. The 2500k is an unlocked chip. All you need to do is up your multi, and add tiny increment or two of voltage to ur cpu core. Free 1- 1.6 Ghz depending on quality of exact cpu u received, your particular mobo + its bios. Provided your psu is up to the task.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Free 1- 1.6 Ghz depending on quality of exact cpu u received, your particular mobo + its bios.

$30 more for the CPU itself
$25 for an entry level tower heatsink
$30-40 more for a motherboard that can OC

Free? No sir. And what do you get? 20-30% higher CPU clock speed which in most situations does not even translate to higher framerates.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I went from a Core i7 860 oc to 2600k stock and it was a worth it upgrade even without overclocking the 2600k. Numbers and FPS aren't everything. It is the experience that matters (in this case 2600k plays games far more smoother and FPS don't explain this) and there CPUs get upgraded enough with each generation (no idea how Ivy would fare though).

Minimum FPS measurements actually go a long way to explaining it. I agree that averages can be misleading.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
$30 more for the CPU itself
$25 for an entry level tower heatsink
$30-40 more for a motherboard that can OC

Free? No sir. And what do you get? 20-30% higher CPU clock speed which in most situations does not even translate to higher framerates.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: No such thing as a free lunch.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Hey guyz,guyz ,I know u people got a lot more dough than me.but I'm still a student so..................never mind,oneday I'm gonna have it !And as recommended i'm going with i5-2400(no doubts about that).

That's fine, everybody has had a lack of funds at one point or another.

But suggest me a good mobo ONLY FROM ASUS.yes u heard It correct,ONLY FROM ASUS.I simply cannot trust others in the quality and service.

This, however doesn't make much sense. Beggars can't be choosers and a different brand gets you a lot more for your money. Lehtv's build from page one is still your best bet (though it may need some tweaking since we've been discussing this for so long).

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
That's fine, everybody has had a lack of funds at one point or another.

This, however doesn't make much sense. Beggars can't be choosers.

Aww man ! that hurts (just joking :)).I'm just on a tight budget so i'm looking in that way.Well,Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM .now it looks comfortable.ASRock is something cheapstake buyers should opt for but right now I cannot trust it.My opinion over Asus is so strong cuz I've seen it's Striker II perform so good than mine on a friend's rig.recently enough I got to use a PC with a P8P67 V Pro.the experience with that 2600K on that rig was just awesome.Only if I could get that. But never mind,I'm going then with lehtv's config

i5-2400 $190
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM $ 71
G.Skill 8gb $38
HIS 7850 $240
Samsung 500GB $80
DVD burner $18
In Win Mana134 $20 AR
Antec EA430D $40
Asus VH238H $150 AR AP

= $847 AR AP

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
Thanx one n all who suggested me.............thank u very very much.This is a great forum.thanx again.can't wait to get my rig............

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I wouldn't say that. Not worth the premium? Sure. Sucks? No.
Well their QC has gone down quite a bit and some companies that are thought as cheap (cough biostar) are making good boards, so are new companies like ASRock.

ASUS will lose shares in Mobos but will increase in GPUS.