Amusing: "Who would Canadians vote for: Obama or Romney?"

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The National Post up here in Canada put out an infographic with the results of nationwide polling of who Canadians wish to see elected by our friends to the south.

What I really got out of this is that even people who vote for the Conservative Party up here prefer Obama to Romney by a factor of 2 to 1. I suppose this is a reflection of how much further to the right American conservatives are as compared to what we brand conservatives in Canada.

Lastly, this is one of those lighthearted things newspapers put out on slow news days, so try not to get too worked up it.

na1105_canadauselectionweb940a.jpg

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Obama for sure. That said, if Obama ran in a Canadian election with a platform similar to what he has actually done or even intended to do in the US, he wouldn't be even close to electable. To a large extent Canada solved current US issues many years to even decades ago.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
What's even more funny is Americans don't even know who your leader/prime minister/dictator/king/queen is. Nor do they give a shit.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
let's make a deal... you think Canadians should pick the US President, let us pick your PM. ;)

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
The local radio stations here (Western Europe) sent their DJ's and talk show hosts over to the East Coast this weekend so they would be ready to broadcast Monday and Tuesday. It's pure comedy but they're 100% for Obama. They think Romney is complete garbage. I haven't met a single person here who likes Romney. They think we're playing some kind of practical joke when they play his clips on the news here and are we get 2 days of comedy radio because of it.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Obama for sure. That said, if Obama ran in a Canadian election with a platform similar to what he has actually done or even intended to do in the US, he wouldn't be even close to electable. To a large extent Canada solved current US issues many years to even decades ago.

Canada did not solve anything. Unless you consider ruining the country solved.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Why its such a big deal for Canadians is 50% of our GDP is tied to trade and 80% of that is with the US
So, we have something at stake :) That being said we have done better w democrats in office 'might just be a timing thing, think lag' usually dems are more protectionist and repubs more free trade although we had a hell of a time with softwood lumber

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The local radio stations here (Western Europe) sent their DJ's and talk show hosts over to the East Coast this weekend so they would be ready to broadcast Monday and Tuesday. It's pure comedy but they're 100% for Obama. They think Romney is complete garbage. I haven't met a single person here who likes Romney. They think we're playing some kind of practical joke when they play his clips on the news here and are we get 2 days of comedy radio because of it.

What I find really funny.

Many nations across the world actually pay attention to our last few weeks or so on the election.

I don't think a single American listens, or even cares what Europe, canada, mexico etc. choose as their leaders.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Why its such a big deal for Canadians is 50% of our GDP is tied to trade and 80% of that is with the US
So, we have something at stake :) That being said we have done better w democrats in office 'might just be a timing thing, think lag' usually dems are more protectionist and repubs more free trade although we had a hell of a time with softwood lumber

It normally is all about timing. Certain points in the economic cycle, the each viewpoint gets better or worse.

However in Ameriacn economies now a days, I am uncertain that republicans and democrats do anything different enough to be, well different.

Really if yo uresearch enough you find out both parties are very similar on a lot of issues, its just slightly different timescale in how they react to it.

What really the election comes down to is who is the "cleanest", who can trash the other the most in the most respectible way, and who seems more leader-like (Chrismatic, experience, etc.)

However, both sides of the aisle will say their party is X and other party is Y, when in reality they are much closer on that topic then people know, without adequet research.

Hence the whole, we need to get another party into the system asap

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm not really sure what you find funny about it.

In addition I think you're wrong. I care who the leaders of our largest trade partners are just like many Europeans do. Whether you do or not is completely irrelevant assuming your life is not dependent on business and trade.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I'm not really sure what you find funny about it.

In addition I think you're wrong. I care who the leaders of our largest trade partners are just like many Europeans do. Whether you do or not is completely irrelevant assuming your life is not dependent on business and trade.

It's funny because it's silly. It can't be serious: As nice as Canadians or Europeans may be as people, they don't have your best interests at heart - we have our best interests at heart. As I said, this is really only interesting in that it demonstrates that even Canadian conservatives prefer to Democrats to Republicans.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Someone show obama this . He will be looking for work . Should be easy for him to make up another false life that existed in his mind only . America let Obummer know canada has job opening .

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Canada is ruined? News to me.

It is for me.

High taxes.
Everything is over priced compared to the US.
Healthcare.
No good jobs except in major markets that I have no interest living in.
Too green.
Milk in bags.

Maybe it's just Ontario, IDK, but leaving was one of the best decisions I ever made.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It is for me.

High taxes.
Everything is over priced compared to the US.
Healthcare.
No good jobs except in major markets that I have no interest living in.
Too green.
Milk in bags.

Maybe it's just Ontario, IDK, but leaving was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Oh, ok. Have fun then.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Billiant!

We can restore good terms with Pakistan through Romney.
Oddly, that's what Obama said about his candidacy in 2008.

Of course the Canadians would prefer Obama - they have a two hundred plus year history of wanting government to tell them what to do. One group wanted free of the oppressor's boot; one group found the oppressor's boot cozy and comforting. Maybe because it's so cold up there . . .