Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 214 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you going to flip it?
You know, people do use these cards for their original intended purpose. PC gaming.

The amount of money I would get by mining or flipping gaming cards is miniscule. It wouldn't change my bottom line in any meaningful way. Enjoying the hobby and gaming on my PC is worth far more.

People are ruining this hobby by limiting availability to those of us who get actual enjoyment out of it. All in the pursuit of relatively small monetary gains.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You know, people do use these cards for their original intended purpose. PC gaming.

The amount of money I would get by mining or flipping gaming cards is miniscule. It wouldn't change my bottom line in any meaningful way. Enjoying the hobby and gaming on my PC is worth far more.

People are ruining this hobby by limiting availability to those of us who get actual enjoyment out of it. All in the pursuit of relatively small monetary gains.

Something like 40% of all American families can't handle an unexpected $1000 expense. So I don't judge people who try to fight neoliberalism to get a little bit ahead.

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Shortages don't ruin an entire hobby, maybe you need to expand your personal worldview? Its almost like you're blaming the shortage on scalpers when in reality is exactly the other way around. Also, I'd just like to point out that these hobbys don't revolve around cheap hardware whatsoever. Its really ironic because these hobbies were born out of extremely expensive and much slower hardware. Everyone would like new and cheap GPUs but 2020+1 is a thing and we're all living with it. Someone flipping a GPU isn't the real problem whatsoever. Although I guess I shouldn't assume what you mean by 'this hobby', perhaps for you PC gaming is all about cheap and fast hardware?

Reactions: Zepp

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Shortages don't ruin an entire hobby, maybe you need to expand your personal worldview? Its almost like you're blaming the shortage on scalpers when in reality is exactly the other way around. Also, I'd just like to point out that these hobbys don't revolve around cheap hardware whatsoever.

IMO, scalpers (and unscrupulous retailers, suppliers) are more of a problem than an actual shortage, at least on the NVidia side. If you look how many cards are ultimately ending up in the hands of gamers, it doesn't look like the supply is actually that short.

On the Steam HW Survey. The RTX 3070 has surpassed both the GTX 1080, and GTX 1080 Ti, and every AMD card in usage.

The GTX 10 series was enormously popular widely regarded for having great perf/$, and it was a LONG lasting generation with the cards on sale for a long time.

It would hardly be possible for the RTX 3070 to pass both cards, if stocks were very limited. If I check Newegg for "in stock" cards, there are more than 25 different 3070 cards available. Just at scalper pricing of over $1000.

Scalpers, and slimy retailers are the problem, not a "shortage".

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Scalpers, and slimy retailers are the problem, not a "shortage".
The problem with believing that is nvidia isn't interested in losing half of their potential margin to scalpers. If they had stock they'd much rather sell it direct or with a proper markup instead of letting AIBs double msrp. Ampere has been shipping for well over a year now, if nvidia could correct the scalping situation by now they definitely would, and the fact they or anyone else haven't seems to point towards a shortage. The other problem with believing there isn't a shortage is that everyone sees retailers, everyone sees they sell out stock in minutes even above MSRP even in November. My local microcenter has consistently had abysmal inventory this whole past year, only being able to keep cards in stock by having the MSRP high.

If people are able to successfully scalp GPUs its because someone is willing to buy. People are only willing to buy GPUs from scalpers because they're so hard to come by at MSRP from anywhere.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The problem with believing that is nvidia isn't interested in losing half of their potential margin to scalpers.

But GPU makers are still losing massive amounts to scalpers, the scalpers have essentially become another layer in the retail chain that just buy up all the stock and charge another massive markup on top. They have grown fatter and more organized from small players into a functioning larger scale businesses.

Though neither AMD nor NVidia seem very interested in completely rectifying the situation, instead, they are releasing terribly priced new cards like the RTX 3060 and RX 6600, to cash in on current insanity. Cards that would never sell at their MSRP if other cards were.

The situation sucks all around.

My point was just that there really isn't that much of shortage anymore, it's just that Scalpers have become part of the institution. They are big enough and numerous enough now, that they can now absorb regular stock flow(not just the initial short supply), and charge their markups.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They can't rectify the situation because they can't possibly produce enough cards to oversupply the market and drive down the cost of cards.

It's even worse because there's more demand for wafers so additional production would cost them more and they aren't so benevolent as to eat all of that cost.

Either company selling below actual market value only encourages more scalpers. If both companies just sold direct to customers at current market rate no scalpers would buy the cards.

Reactions: Fallen Kell

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
More cores! What else?

I think beefing up the RT performance is something of a given. If they don't keep pushing it to enable better use at the midrange it's going to eventually get written off when the next big thing comes around and starts getting all the attention.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Not sure if this was the best thread to post, but looks like Nvidia is rolling out their version of a spatial upscaler that is open source, a la FSR. It apparently was always a feature of the driver but now they are making it more obvious and giving it a formal name.

Reactions: psolord

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Not sure if this was the best thread to post, but looks like Nvidia is rolling out their version of a spatial upscaler that is open source, a la FSR. It apparently was always a feature of the driver but now they are making it more obvious and giving it a formal name.
As I understand it the big advantage is it's in the drivers so you can just turn it on there and then use it in games, the game doesn't need to support it. The guru3d article gives more info: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-announces-updated-open-source-image-scaling-sdk.html

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
Reactions: Mopetar

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

More details. Looks like the intent is to have mx570/2050 be an upgrade for Rembrandt and the mx550 for Alder Lake.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Nvidia confirmed to ComputerBase directly that it is Ampere. 2050 and MX570 are GA107, MX550 is TU117

- Jesus Christ let the Red vs Green rebranding wars start anew. Nvidia is definitely winning this round's "dumbest, most confusing, crowded naming scheme" and might be going for GOAT. AMD's HD7xxx -> 2xx -> 3xx rebrands are still a thing of legend though.