Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 210 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I managed to get 2x 3060's for my nephews (Gigabyte Eagle & ASUS DUAL) not great being twin fans but £299 (MSRP) from different stores. Almost all modcels sold out inside 5 minutes but as I type this there are some at scalper prices (£490+) in stores. At least I got both their birthday presents sorted. Would have gone team red for them as they both have red now but I doubt AMD's ability to have any UK stock, at least Nvidia has some.

Reactions: Mopetar

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Congrats at being able to snag even one of them. Everything I've looked at has been sold out, including the premium models that are $100 + over the MSRP.

Reactions: Leeea

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've got a weird use case that I'm trying to fill. Essentially, my Gaming HTPC has a 1080 Ti in it right now, and it would be nice to get something physically smaller, more efficient, and maybe a bit more powerful. (I'd like to rebuild in a more compact case.) I considered this upgrade too late to pick up a 3060 Ti, but I took a look into the 3060. However, with how reviews showed such a huge jump between the 3060 and the 3060 Ti, it seems like I'm just better off waiting.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Can't upgrade my GPU because they are all gone. I guess I'll have to ask my wife's boyfriend if I can buy one from his mining farm for a little over MSRP.
I gave up looking for a gpu all together. It's not worth it right now with the price hikes. In the meantime I have both next gen consoles to tide me over.

Reactions: moonbogg

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I've signed up for the EVGA queue. I had accidentally signed up for the XC Gaming ($389) first and got the option to buy it yesterday. I passed on that, waiting for the XC Black ($329) but it doesn't look like that queue has moved at all.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I've signed up for the EVGA queue. I had accidentally signed up for the XC Gaming ($389) first and got the option to buy it yesterday. I passed on that, waiting for the XC Black ($329) but it doesn't look like that queue has moved at all.

They probably made all of about 5 of those cards, so I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. Even before this point there were alleged to be grumbling from the AIBs about increasing costs and inability to make a profit at MSRP. I think it's telling that there's no reference card from Nvidia at the $330 MSRP and that the number of AIB cards sold at that price will be no higher than contractual obligations require.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Where is the queue feature? I can't find it. THX.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think Nvidia wants vendors doing queue's because when your name doesn't move up for weeks at a time, it proves the problem is supply and not demand. Nvidia claims the problem is demand, yet chip shortages are affecting AMD, the auto industry, and other things as well. Is their problem demand too? I think Nvidia should admit they don't have control over their own industry; China does. Maybe they need to kiss some ass to get the parts they need? They should try begging. It might work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuka87 and ozzy702

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I don't think Nvidia wants vendors doing queue's because when your name doesn't move up for weeks at a time, it proves the problem is supply and not demand. Nvidia claims the problem is demand, yet chip shortages are affecting AMD, the auto industry, and other things as well. Is their problem demand too? I think Nvidia should admit they don't have control over their own industry; China does. Maybe they need to kiss some ass to get the parts they need? They should try begging. It might work.

^ 100% Agree. Yes, miners are gobbling everything up, but if there was solid supply that wouldn't matter. I was always able to easily buy GPUs in 2017, it wasn't remotely like conditions right now where they are full on unobtanium. During the height of the mining boom I grabbed tons of 1070s, 1080TIs, 580s, etc easily. This is a supply problem that's just exacerbated by miners.

Reactions: Derion

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

AMD's GPUs are fabbed in Taiwan and Nvidia's are fabbed in South Korea. Maybe the final assembly is done in China, but they aren't responsible for wafer shortages.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Not too bad. ReBAR boosted performance in Horizon Zero Dawn avg from 99 fps to 107 fps at 2560x1440.

People on reddit seem to be getting incredible increases in minimum FPS, like 30 FPS going to 55 FPS and so on

Seems to be gaining extra 10% 99% percentile FPS, good job by Nvidia. Sadly it requires BIOS update, but then again with current availability situation by the time cards are actually available they will have proper BIOSes inside them.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What are the stats under the CPU section representing? It's hard to tell because of the text on top of the image. I'm assuming utilization.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Sneak peek at RTX 4000 series:

He's not even close with the cuda cores but he got the memory right :)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I got the Resizeable BAR driver and BIOS and it does make a noticeable difference in Cyberpunk, maybe 10fps at 4K although I haven't measured it. I actually wasn't expecting anything close to that. I'll have to try out VR with this.

Reactions: lightmanek

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Appears that nVidia has settled on 12 GB for the 3080 Ti and it's coming soon. It's a 3090 with half the memory and very slightly cut.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Appears that nVidia has settled on 12 GB for the 3080 Ti and it's coming soon. It's a 3090 with half the memory and very slightly cut.

The same 384-bit memory interface and memory technology as the 3090 but with lower prices?

Hah, the hashrate is going to be 120MH/s like the 3090. That's not going to be popular at all!

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The same 384-bit memory interface and memory technology as the 3090 but with lower prices?

Says the official memory speed is 19 instead of 19.5 but 384-bit yes. It is apparently going to have a different hash rate limiter so there might be a window where miners might not be interested until it's cracked.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Says the official memory speed is 19 instead of 19.5 but 384-bit yes. It is apparently going to have a different hash rate limiter so there might be a window where miners might not be interested until it's cracked.

Even if you can't mine with it as effectively, it'll probably get cracked soon enough. Even if it doesn't, the cards can still be flipped for a massive profit, so there's still reason to buy up as many as you can.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Even if you can't mine with it as effectively, it'll probably get cracked soon enough. Even if it doesn't, the cards can still be flipped for a massive profit, so there's still reason to buy up as many as you can.
NV would have to take a big step to stop mining. They'd need something like two PCBs, one for gaming and one for mining. The mining card would have a small ASIC that it initialized with some crpyto key at the factory and allows full rate hashing after doing some hardware handshake with the GPU. Gaming cards wouldn't even have the pads to solder on the mining enabling ASIC. Something along those lines; anyway, they won't have a solution for Ampere, maybe for whatever comes after that. They can enforce build percentages via contracts and by regulating the availability of the mining 'enabler' chip. Having to create a work-a-round for hardware is a bigger PITA than software hacks.