Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 197 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
no one will want 192bit 3060 with 6GB, I hope info is bad and FUD and 3060 will be 256bit 8GB card!

3060 is based on GA-106, which means its impossible to have a 256bit bus. The Ti is rumored to be GA-104, which is 256bit bus.

That's the $400 3060Ti. 3060 will be 6GB and it will sell a lot.

Typically the x060 card is nVidia's most popular card. But a 6GB card in 2021 is going to be a rough sell.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Price seams on the high side. Maybe place holder pricing?
Logically, with 0.8x the cores of RTX 3070, 3060 Ti should be 0.8x the price (400 USD) or less. Though, 400 USD would be uninteresting, because the 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080 would all be on approximate 1:1 performance-price curve.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
They will need to make 3060 super with 256bit if they plan to some buy it.... or sell 3060 192bit crap for 239$

3060ti for 400$ is way to expansive!

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Well whatever architecture it is, it’s not a replica of the 2k models. I just purchased a 3080, and in some older games my 2060 has better FPS. So frustrating!

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yeah, there's been some game issues. Nvidia supplied a workaround on Codemaster's forum for F1 2019 crashing on bootup that involves going into the install directory and deleting a couple DLLs. Not exactly a happy solution if you're a less technical customer.

Reactions: lightmanek

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
r/nvidia Rule 1 says no tech support posts. Use Tech Support megathread.
But then megathread is sorted in contest mode, so good luck getting replies.
Well if reddit wasn't an ancient platform invaded by 12 year-olds, admins could move topics into their right places instead of just deleting them in the middle of a freaking conversation.

Reactions: ozzy702 and Zstream

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well if reddit wasn't an ancient platform invaded by 12 year-olds, admins could move topics into their right places instead of just deleting them in the middle of a freaking conversation.

Problem is that Reddit is a bunch of Silos. The Mods of one sub reddit typically don't have permission in other sub reddits, so they couldn't move them, even on a slow day, which there really isn't a slow day on reddit.

I follow a few reddits and the volume is fairly extreme on popular ones, mods and even automated tools are busy just removing outright troll posts, duplicates and dumb memes.

Reactions: lobz

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Its not an issue with Samsung process, but Ampere was not supposed to be released this year.

Nvidia simply rushed their release by few months, hence why we see the GPUs but there is not enough inventory. And its not due to absurdly high demand, but because of the actual lack of inventory.

That's understandable, but what's the underlying cause of the low supply? Was Samsung's plan to ramp production leading into March 2021 so that there would be more wafers produced around that time with the existing wafers being stockpiled to meet launch demand, only NVidia decided to launch early with the extremely limited supply and production capacity?

To me it seems odd that NVidia could launch now and have cards shipped but a complete lack of production capability that won't be rectified for almost half a year. That doesn't seem like something you plan for intentionally. It seems like there has to be some kind of issue that we aren't aware or NVidia really pushing up the time tables for Ampere in a rather odd fashion.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
That's understandable, but what's the underlying cause of the low supply? Was Samsung's plan to ramp production leading into March 2021 so that there would be more wafers produced around that time with the existing wafers being stockpiled to meet launch demand, only NVidia decided to launch early with the extremely limited supply and production capacity?

To me it seems odd that NVidia could launch now and have cards shipped but a complete lack of production capability that won't be rectified for almost half a year. That doesn't seem like something you plan for intentionally. It seems like there has to be some kind of issue that we aren't aware or NVidia really pushing up the time tables for Ampere in a rather odd fashion.
Based on what I was told months ago, Ampere was supposed to have volume manufacturing in Q1 2021.

The fact that a lot of reviewers got Qualification samples for Review units tells that this is actually the case.

What is the reason for it? Production planning(schedule?). And the rushed release.

Effectively, I was ridiculed when I said that if you have an inferior products you have to launch first. This is the actual case, unfortunately.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Based on what I was told months ago, Ampere was supposed to have volume manufacturing in Q1 2021.

The fact that a lot of reviewers got Qualification samples for Review units tells that this is actually the case.

What is the reason for it? Production planning(schedule?). And the rushed release.

Effectively, I was ridiculed when I said that if you have an inferior products you have to launch first. This is the actual case, unfortunately.

Pretty much everything about Ampere's release says 'rushed release'. nVidia had to get out first to get the buzz and reviews out there that did not include AMD's new cards, so six months down the road with Joe goes to upgrade is 2060 or the like, he sees reviews that only show the 3000 series vs his current card. And not that the 3000 series is actually not good.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013

They nearly always launch, at about the time they launched in September ish, with the early production & so on with things planned on ramping up afterward. This tends to cause short term shortages.

The plan definitely wasn't to not ramp up until March 2021 - there's a huge backlog from the initial preorders to clear and to clear that by March they would have to be ramping quite hard now. They will have been at least trying to do that since/a little before launch.

There are quite fundamental limits in how fast you can scale silicon wafer production, especially when its to meet a temporary demand spike. You can't go around buying in new machines, fabs etc.

Its definitely possible that SS are slightly struggling to produce huge graphics chips. Given the immense demand on TSMC you have to hope they'll at least get good at it. The markets need their raw capacity/some viable competition for TSMC.