Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 183 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Got the STRIX BIOS working on my 3090 MSI Gaming X Trio. Did a few hours of stress testing with it. +100 voltage, +123 Power, +75 Core, and +650 memory.
HmKGmHE.jpg
To be honest, I don't see how that is even remotely worth it. Minimal performance gain, massive power use increase and very noticeable noise increase.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Got the STRIX BIOS working on my 3090 MSI Gaming X Trio. Did a few hours of stress testing with it. +100 voltage, +123 Power, +75 Core, and +650 memory.

Interesting that you need that much power for only +75 core and +650 memory. My EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra will do +120 core and +750 memory with the slider at 107%. Wonder if a few more watts would do much. If anything, getting a water block on the card would help a lot more, especially if I could free up the need to power fans and keep the temps in the 40c's.

Reactions: lightmanek

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
With AdamK47, "worth it" is an irrelevant term.
I couldn't get a 3080 or 3090 so I ended up treating myself to another nice watch which cost more lol. People have different views for what something is worth to them. I guess you could say in my case that item will not depreciate as much as a gpu does.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting that you need that much power for only +75 core and +650 memory. My EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra will do +120 core and +750 memory with the slider at 107%. Wonder if a few more watts would do much. If anything, getting a water block on the card would help a lot more, especially if I could free up the need to power fans and keep the temps in the 40c's.

With the stock MSI BIOS the core clocks would be between 1785 and 2040 because it's bouncing off the power limit. Now with the STRIX BIOS it stays between 1950 and 2040.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Has this been posted before ??

mpT9PE5YtWFLBeonh5sNtm-650-80.png.webp

4siy5rrpyVQgPeYaNh3DV9-650-80.png.webp

Newegg said their supply was extremely limited as well. I've also seen posters on Reddit and other forums (grain of salt obviously) say that they have connections in the distribution chain saying the same thing, very limited amount of cards available at launch and they are not sure when it will improve. Add to that the bot trackers showing most models never even coming into stock and those that do are gone immediately, it's become fairly obvious that this was a very limited launch, despite what Nvidia or GN's AIB contacts say. Hopefully they are able to get good stock in at least before the holidays.

Edit: I also tried to check mindfactory because they list how many units have sold recently on the product page but they don't even have product pages available for any Ampere cards so looks to be the same story in Germany as well.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Yields must be in the toilet.

Why? All that data actually says, by itself, is that demand is >> supply right now. We knew that!

The next question are what is the normative demand/supply for cards at these prices level. To be strictly fair, you'd ideally want how it looked round previous launches as well.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
All that data actually says, by itself, is that demand is >> supply right now.

Well, it also tells us that the absolute numbers are low — at least in Europe. It could be that the supply is much better in other markets, but it does look like they didn't have time to build inventory before launch. I suspect they rushed to push Ampere out to ensure they got to market while still having the mindshare as the superior GPU vendor — before the arrival of AMD's "Big Navi". It remains to be seen if Lisa Su has been able to keep them in the dark, and the rush was only precautionary, or whether they knew and acted on coming competition.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Well, it also tells us that the absolute numbers are low — at least in Europe. It could be that the supply is much better in other markets, but it does look like they didn't have time to build inventory before launch. I suspect they rushed to push Ampere out to ensure they got to market while still having the mindshare as the superior GPU vendor — before the arrival of AMD's "Big Navi". It remains to be seen if Lisa Su has been able to keep them in the dark, and the rush was only precautionary, or whether they knew and acted on coming competition.
No, it really doesn't.

What is the normative monthly sales volume for (say) the 2080ti at that shop?

Or, given an approximate percentage market share of that retailer multiply it out to see the projected sales worldwide/in Europe.

I've no idea where it ends up but do care about data being actually used sensibly :)

The release date was bang on NV's little by established schedule, so silly to read anything more than that into it.

Reactions: Vattila

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Also, I highly recommend undervolting. It drops temps and power draw while maintaining 95% or more of the stock performance. Lots of AMD folk did this with their cards so I have to say it works well with these NV cards.

My card stock boosted to 1950 and then stabilized around 1905 after warming up. I reduced voltage to 875mv and set boost to 1920 and it's running cool and quiet. Maxes out now at 68C. In my case I get slightly better than stock performance with less power and heat. Can't beat that. Pulling 285w loaded now.

Nice. This is my plan when my card gets here next week. Ever since I found watercooling too annoying and time consuming, I try to build small form factor builds that are quiet.

I wanted a FTW3, but stock the way it is, took what I could get and wound up with a Gigabyte Eagle 3080.

Reactions: Elfear and DooKey

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Why? All that data actually says, by itself, is that demand is >> supply right now. We knew that!

The next question are what is the normative demand/supply for cards at these prices level. To be strictly fair, you'd ideally want how it looked round previous launches as well.

Its easy to have demand that is greater than supply when supply is significantly lower than previous releases. with previous releases day one was often very limited. But within 2-3 weeks supply was readily available. I have bought multiple GPU's within the first week of release and never really had an issue. I used NowInStock once to notify me.

We are now three weeks passed the launch date. and they are still impossible to find. Tools like NowInStock show that many never came back in stock.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I couldn't get a 3080 or 3090 so I ended up treating myself to another nice watch which cost more lol. People have different views for what something is worth to them. I guess you could say in my case that item will not depreciate as much as a gpu does.

To be honest, PC hardware/gaming is one of the cheapest hobbies out there, even if you buy top end things. I know people who are into cars, boats, watches, etc. who spend way more on those things than any of this stuff. I plan to get a 3080 once it's more widely available, which should be good enough for my needs. I do want one of these cards for sure just because of HDMI 2.1 so I can get 4K at 120hz, and am getting a new TV that supports it.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This is the body of the email I got from my local Online and B&M store (Memory Express) here in Canada this afternoon about the status of 3080 pre-order/back-orders.

Last month, NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX™ 30 Series graphics cards powered by Ampere—NVIDIA’s 2nd gen RTX architecture—bringing PC gaming performance to new levels. The unprecedented demand and limited supply for these new graphics cards have resulted in a large number of preorders / backorders.

So far we have received very limited quantities of GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 cards from GIGABYTE, EVGA, MSI and ASUS; with no ETA's for new shipments – we expect this to remain the case for the rest of the year with small quantities trickling in periodically. Our purchasing team is working hard to fill preorders and backorders however our suppliers are not able to provide firm ETA's and most cases, provide little or no advance notification of new shipments .

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think Nvidia knows AMD is going to make both of these cards look ridiculous, so they are holding back the big volume for the 20GB cards. I'd expect them to beat AMD to the punch with a 20GB release or come right after with a price cut or something. I think RDNA2 does have something to do with the major supply "issues".

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
To be honest, PC hardware/gaming is one of the cheapest hobbies out there, even if you buy top end things. I know people who are into cars, boats, watches, etc. who spend way more on those things than any of this stuff. I plan to get a 3080 once it's more widely available, which should be good enough for my needs. I do want one of these cards for sure just because of HDMI 2.1 so I can get 4K at 120hz, and am getting a new TV that supports it.
Yep. Hi-fi where some audiophiles can easily spend over $10,000 for a 20 watt tube amp or $15,000 for a DAC or $50,000 for speakers. PC HW is a poor mans hobby by comparison :D.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008

What watch? I have my eye on an IWC Portofino 8 Days with the blue dial but cannot justify the outlay. It is very nice looking though.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
What is the normative monthly sales volume for (say) the 2080ti at that shop?

Or, given an approximate percentage market share of that retailer multiply it out to see the projected sales worldwide/in Europe.

First the monthly average hardly matters. One should compare first weeks after launch of 2080ti, 1080ti etc because these will have a lot higher sales than 2080ti had the last say 6-12 months.

Given the absolute numbers and usually buying from a comparable shop in size that each say has a limited special offer (anything electronic) GPU special offers with 200 units easily sell out in one day. So the absolute numbers really are tiny. They got 344 units so far and 123 under way (total of 467). According to Wiki denmark has a population of 5.8 million. So roughly 1 card per 12.5k people.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
First the monthly average hardly matters. One should compare first weeks after launch of 2080ti, 1080ti etc because these will have a lot higher sales than 2080ti had the last say 6-12 months.

Of course there's always been burst sales early on, but I don't think we've got data on that. Which is a shame as it'd be the most useful you could have.

To some extent, as well, they're a bit limited in their capacity to soak huge extra 'instant' demand if it isn't sustained.

Given the absolute numbers and usually buying from a comparable shop in size that each say has a limited special offer (anything electronic) GPU special offers with 200 units easily sell out in one day. So the absolute numbers really are tiny. They got 344 units so far and 123 under way (total of 467). According to Wiki denmark has a population of 5.8 million. So roughly 1 card per 12.5k people.

1 card of this cost/size per 12.5k people in a countries population? That surely isn't remotely tiny :) Of course they probably sell an awful lot outside their home country etc etc, so it simply isn't a remotely good metric to use.

You can do a bit better I think, if still order of magnitude accuracy.
Steam survey has the 2080ti just under 1%, ~90 mill users, so 500,000- 1 mill installed lifetime. Ditto the 2080 in fact.

What %age of that should the 2 weeks initial sales for this single retailer be? Difficult to say, but 500 doesn't feel insane. The demand - 3,500 - is certainly an awful lot.

I guess the steam surveys should give decent data in a month or two.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What watch? I have my eye on an IWC Portofino 8 Days with the blue dial but cannot justify the outlay. It is very nice looking though.
This one is a longines legend diver 36mm on the milanese bracelet. It came out a year and a half ago but it's been really hard to find. You can find the 42mm version all day.

I wanted an IWC le petit prince for the longest time but didn't think it was worth it's asking price. Ended up with a special edition omega instead of the IWC. I want a small unique collection and the only one missing is a rolex but of course the model I can actually afford they won't sell to me because I'm not special enough. You can really go down the rabbit hole with watches lol.