Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I really feel sad for you and the others, months of negative publicity on Ampere, downplaying every aspect of it based on false rumors, only to see it all crumbling down in the last few hours, at least try to have some tehcnical dignity and wait for the final reveal before spewing nonsense.
It still looks like an overpriced furnace. The exorbitant cooler and 300+ watt TDP confirm that, and it's unlikely to change in the next hour.

Reactions: spursindonesia

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
So yeah, there is a quiet mode.
View attachment 29035

If real, I nailed it!
I honestly think that Nvidia saw AMD pushing TDP's to stay competitive in performance, so they said screw it let's push our chips as hard as they do to look that much better on FPS graphs and give consumers an option to easily dial back if they don't feel the extra heat is worth the performance.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I really feel sad for you and the others, months of negative publicity on Ampere, downplaying every aspect of it based on false rumors, only to see it all crumbling down in the last few hours, at least try to have some tehcnical dignity and wait for the final reveal before spewing nonsense.

Such an odd hill to hold right before most of those rumors are confirmed.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
20200901171833_575px.jpg

20200901171847_575px.jpg

Reactions: psolord

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
If Ampere GPUs have almost all of the GEMM stuff from A100 die in them it makes actually sense, why Nvidia is calling them Ampere, why it has so high density and so high Transistor count, with only few SM's.

I really cannot wait for Whitepaper on gaming cards.
Yeah, I think I have nailed this.

Its EXACTLY the same GEMM stuff from GA100 chip.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
IIRC the tensor cores can do some fp32 operations with Ampere. Not sure if it will translate into something that can be used with games.
Its THE SAME improvement that we got with A100.

Go look how "standard" FP32 performance looks on that GPU compared to V100, that does not rely on GEMM stuff.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
What a pathetic post, Am I the one who insisted NVIDIA gaming cards are not coming this year? Am I the one who claimed they are 8nm? Am I the one who claimed so many other FUD and worthless posts and arguments that are devoid of any facts?!

The audacity of some of the members here who times and times again claim certain things to be absolute facts and then when they are proven wrong have no shame to show their faces again with yet another set of pathetic claims.

And then you dare talk to me about my post history!! LOL that's not even funny.
So the question is, do you have the 'audacity' to retract your post and come out of the hole you dug for yourself? Talk about eating your words...

Last edited: