Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
The media took a Twitter user's speculation, and made it into a rumor/story about GeForce RTX 3080 and 3070 specifications? Is that right? ok.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
The media took a Twitter user's speculation, and made it into a rumor/story about GeForce RTX 3080 and 3070 specifications? Is that right? ok.
How do you explain the past 3 months of rumors? you cant , ok

Look at it this way Nvidia's new cards are 5 to 8 months away.
They will be at least 40% faster with a full node change.
They will have far better Ray tracing performance.
These 3 predictions I would bet the house on.

I'll add a few,
Big navi will be as fast as a 3070, use 35% more power ,and need a price drop to compete.

Only hard core AMD followers or the uniformed will buy AMD gpu's in the next 18 months.

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Oh no, I dared to vote down Muhammed's not-so-well-thought-through bragging, and the revenge was swift and thorough. There's basically no thread on the forum that he didn't visit to vote my answers down :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I don't need a better confirmation than this :)
On topic: @IntelUser2000 I still think that anyone who says that Ampere will have 50% better perf and 50% less power consumption, is plainly and simply dreaming.
Edit: IF it's even Ampere. For example, Pascal was Volta for just about everyone up until right before launch day.
It might be possible, if Ampere is ground breaking like Volta was. But that is HPC chip only. Of course they might still release Titan A, like they did released Titan V, but that will cost eye watering price.

GA100 is HPC chip first, and there is no other GPU in Nvidia plans.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Really? what does this kind of post accomplish?
"There is no other gpu in Nvidia plans"
Like I said I have swamp land to sell you, i'm sure you'd buy plenty.
As has been told many times, the rumor about GA103 and Ga104 is false, which people, who know better have debunked, already. Kopite is best informed when it goes for Nvidia, and he said plainly that there is no such thing as 8 nm Nvidia GPUs, and only Ampere GPU chip is GA100, and gaming cards, which are differenet architecture, have not been taped out yet.

What is being purported, by clueless journalists, or simply guys, who feed on the acolites of their favorite brands, is fake news, that has been made up from simply speculation of two Twitter accounts.

As has been said many times, by Komachi, and Kopite, there is no other Ampere GPU than GA100, and Kopite even said that Gaming, Nvidia next gen cards haven't been taped out, yet. So if Komachi is talking about Q4 release, it will be GA100 chip, because that is the only thing that is released by Nvidia this year, as a new GPU.

Reactions: Saylick

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
So if Komachi is talking about Q4 release, it will be GA100 chip, because that is the only thing that is released by Nvidia this year, as a new GPU.
VideoCardz mentioned a new GPU from NVIDIA in Q2, and it's not the 2080Ti Super, but you are still clueless, stick around .. you will be proven wrong soon enough.
Then show proofs for that ;).
Nope, I will let you dig your hole deeper.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I wouldn't be in a big rush to count NV down for this round. Those guys are execution beasts and they'll pull God damn rabbits out of God damn hats if they have to to maintain their lead/undercut AMD.

Let's say hypothetically NV totally boofs it's next gen launch. They can drop prices their current line-up and release a 2080 Ti Super (the absence of which makes me doubt these NV Doom and gloom rumors) while still remaining relatively competitive.

AMD needs to keep up the pressure over several generations before they win back mindshare. In the high and ultra high end.

NV just has a lot more room to manuver here than AMD does.

Reactions: happy medium

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
As has been told many times, the rumor about GA103 and Ga104 is false, which people, who know better have debunked, already. Kopite is best informed when it goes for Nvidia, and he said plainly that there is no such thing as 8 nm Nvidia GPUs, and only Ampere GPU chip is GA100, and gaming cards, which are differenet architecture, have not been taped out yet.

What is being purported, by clueless journalists, or simply guys, who feed on the acolites of their favorite brands, is fake news, that has been made up from simply speculation of two Twitter accounts.

As has been said many times, by Komachi, and Kopite, there is no other Ampere GPU than GA100, and Kopite even said that Gaming, Nvidia next gen cards haven't been taped out, yet. So if Komachi is talking about Q4 release, it will be GA100 chip, because that is the only thing that is released by Nvidia this year, as a new GPU.

Why don't we read what Komachi actually says:

And given that Komachi, and Kopite (who has since got his acc suspended) are the two Twitter accounts doing the speculating, either treat what they say all as speculation or all being informed by sources, to do otherwise would be stupid.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Still Geforce accounts for 60% of NVIDIA's revenue, it's definitely not an afterthought, especially with their RTX and DLSS initiative that's already costing them a lot of resources.

RT and Tensor cores were made for the Quadro cards, not the gaming sector. Raytracin gis just a way to sell this to the gamers so they can't complain too much about lack of normal shading performance and power use compared to Pascal.

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, it was leaked.

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1218229502423314434
#not

Im not targeting this at anyone but: how stupid can you be to believe in this "leak"?

Read all three Twitts. There is NO Ampere other than 7 nm TSMC, and no other than GA100. Only GA exists.

Certainly less stupid than the people who said Navi was going to be 200-250 dollars with rtx 2080 performance while taking into account the cost of 7nms.

Nvidia does not need to use the rumor mill and a guerrilla marketing plan like AMD.

If anything, it is in Nvidia's best interest to prevent leaks unlike AMD because they have an entire lineup of cards selling well and any news of a new card on the horizon is detrimental to their sales and devalues their current inventory. They are not in the same situation as AMD which uses leaks, fake leaks and a misinformation campaign to their advantage. This is clear if you look at the length of bread crumbs leading up to any AMD release.

AMD has used guerrilla marketing and the rumor mill for years because since Maxwell AMD has been late to launch card compared to Nvidia. Haven't you noticed that with every AMD card launch, there is a very aggressive rumor marketing campaign that are designed to hype up AMD's next release well well before launch and these are timed right after Nvidia launches their cards. Why is this the case?

This is to stall sales of Nvidia cards and to put the blame of any hype and misinformation on the rumor sites and on forum posters.

Nvidia controls and prevents leaks from occurring because leaks are detrimental when your cards are selling well. On the other hand if your cards are not selling well and only your competitors have new cards on the market, it can help stall your competitors sales, particularly if these rumors are placed on cards which your existing cards don't compete in. i.e the high end for AMD(fiji, Vega and somewhat Navi).

The point I am trying to make is we cannot base Nvidia release dates based on rumors because Nvidia is very good at controlling rumors until the launch date is near. Similarly, you can't predict the launches of AMD based on rumors because the rumors are not designed with any real information to give an accurate gauge of performance. They are designed to get people to wait as long as AMD needs to get their cards out.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
And given that Komachi, and Kopite (who has since got his acc suspended) are the two Twitter accounts doing the speculating, either treat what they say all as speculation or all being informed by sources, to do otherwise would be stupid.

Komachi is speculating.

Kopite has had his account private for most part of the last 8 months. He turned it public to post that his former leak was false, and it's private once again. It can still be accessed if he's given you access to see it.

He's not speculating on his correction, the only thing he MAY be speculating on is his comment that tapeout is March/April.

Reactions: lobz

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
The source of that 3070+3080 diagram is also now claiming that GA102 was retaped to deal with Navi21.

He's fake AF.

Now we have to deal with the fact he's treated as a trusted source or some such rubbish.

No, the 3070 and 3080 don't exist yet because the dies haven't been retaped, and no, Navi 21 won't be competing with GA102. Like seriously, how much bull are we gonna let spread?

Reactions: xpea and Glo.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Though I mean, if you guys want to believe he's accurate, then you best take in the fact that he's effectively claiming Navi21 will compete with GA102 and not only that, but also force Nvidia to retape Navi21 in order to deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: lopri

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Here is one of the comments in the videocardz article.
I think he hit the nail on the head. NO its not me.

Quote:
"Will be the same like always.
AMD announce big Navi @ Computex
Will compete with 2080/2080 TI
Release Q3-Q4 2020
Nvidia will announce a new GPU around GamesCom
30-50% faster / less Watt usage compare to previous generation
Release will be around Big Navi
Big Navi will be in the mid range lineup of the new Nvidia generation (RTX 3070 wiith luck, probably 3060)
Nvidia can choose the price tag for High end again
It has been like that since always
- HD 7970
- R9 290X
- Fury X
-Vega 64
Or just about a decade"
You do know you can always get someone to agree with what you think, don't you? Also, reality isn't democratic.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Though I mean, if you guys want to believe he's accurate, then you best take in the fact that he's effectively claiming Navi21 will compete with GA102 and not only that, but also force Nvidia to retape Navi21 in order to deal with it.
Or not to push GA102 clocks hard, because GA104 is enough to tackle Navi21 ;)

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Or not to push GA102 clocks hard, because GA104 is enough to tackle Navi21 ;)
I'm gonna treat that one as a joke considering you're suggesting Nvidia would spend millions of dollars to gimp their GPUs in hardware instead of for pennies in software

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
So, just as a point of order, IHVs don’t just 're-tape' an chip. They have to redesign to the according to the rules of the new PDK for the new process and then tape-out the new chip. Now a days, I’d think almost all that work would be done by computer, but the company would also spend allot of time redoing sims for verification.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
So, just as a point of order, IHVs don’t just 're-tape' an chip. They have to redesign to the according to the rules of the new PDK for the new process and then tape-out the new chip. Now a days, I’d think almost all that work would be done by computer, but the company would also spend allot of time redoing sims for verification.
Oh yes, I know. The process tends to take about 1-3 months, depending on the severity of the changes at hand, then after that you've got to wait for your initial (A0) silicon to come back form the fabs. Once that's done, you've got to spend several weeks at a minimum validating the silicon. Most A0 silicon tend to have faults, so most often than not it's time for another retape, with more changes. Once you've got something that works, it's time to sit back and wait because you've got TSMC's 6 month lead time to enjoy.

Then you have to start shipping to OEMs and outfitting GPUs with your own reference design, as well as start selling them.

That's why I said earlier that a retape now would mean 2021 minimum.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
VideoCardz mentioned a new GPU from NVIDIA in Q2, and it's not the 2080Ti Super, but you are still clueless, stick around .. you will be proven wrong soon enough.

Nope, I will let you dig your hole deeper.
VCZ mentioned new GPU in Q2: so if anything to go by, there can be only two options. RTX 2080 Ti Super, Or GA100 based Titan A.

You will not show any proof that is otherwise, because you don't have any proofs.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Why don't we read what Komachi actually says:

The funniest part is that you assume that only Komachi and Kopite have sources.

Kopite Account hasn't been suspended. He has Nvidia sources, whether you LIKE IT or not. If he says that next gen. Gaming GPUs have not been taped out, yet - it means they have not been taped out. If he says that There is no Samsung 8 nm, and GA103 and GA104 chips, and that GA100 is TSMC 7 nm - it is true.

When he posted actual insider information about Nvidia, he has never before been incorrect.

Deal with it guys. Its up to you to cope with reality.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yeah, and AMD and Sony and Microsoft are creating RT cores for the same reason too! do you hear yourself talking mate?
I can tell you one thing: they are not creating RT cores. The current RTX is a one-off solution, or if it's not, it will remain an NVIDIA thing only.

Reactions: Glo.