Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 193 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
The 6900 XT pretty much guarantees Nvidia will drop a 3080Ti with 12GB for $1000, lol. So, if you want a half-decent amount of Vram from Nvidia, you gotta spend $1000 for it. Otherwise, you get a pathetic 10GB. I think Nvidia is screwed here. I can't imagine getting anything other than a 6800 XT at this point. You get 3080 performance with 16GB Vram for $650. I don't think Nvidia will even try to compete with this. They will be like Intel and just keep charging hilarious prices, giving you less and less for your money until everyone just starts going red.

Well actually that's half the truth.. We haven't seen RT performance which by the looks of it will be significantly worse than 3080 so there's that.. Also DLSS is a tested alternative while AMD's solution is still in beta. Not saying 6800XT or 6800 are not amazing products on the contrary they look really good. Remains to see a vast array of games tested by youtubers on launch date but definitely AMD is here on top to stay.. But saying that you get 3080 performance is half the truth..Additionally 3080 uses GDDR6x which are faster and give more memory bandwidth for the given amount of VRAM.. Also those MSRPs on nice on paper and 3080's MSRP was sweet but let's wait and see the availability first and the real world pricing especially for the first months and AIB solutions..

A 6900 XT is important for AMD to have. At least from a marketing perspective. Its a valuable entry at the top of the benchmark charts. Thats what creates mind-share.

Agreed that creates mind-share and marketing "prestige"..

Reactions: Elfear

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
There was a reason he 3090 was marketed as "8k", you need DLSS to do that really. That said I think most people getting 3090's aren't getting it for gaming, they are getting it for various compute/renderering tasks that need the nvidia drivers/cuda/etc or the 24gb of ram (which is still far too little if you are playing with renderering a 100gb dreamworks scene for example). Then there's issues of straight up memory bandwidth - the 128mb of cache might work well for games pulling more like 6gb but when you are renderering some huge scene which uses every bit of memory you have it's gonna fall off a bit. Then there's AMD driver issues, other then the fact they take about a year to start working properly for a new architecture, they just aren't as trusted out side of gaming where these cards are often used.

I can see Nvidia releasing a 3070Ti and 3080Ti however which would be great, even better if they cut the price of the 3070 by $50 which is the least competitive card, and it'll probably force them to price the 3060Ti lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozzy702 and jim1976

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Amusing/frankly terrifying data point for anyone wondering about how big the demand on Ampere is vs normal - Sony USA seemingly sold as many PS5's in the first 12 hours as they did PS4's in the first 12 weeks(!).

Over an order of magnitude more day 1 demand there.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The 6900 XT pretty much guarantees Nvidia will drop a 3080Ti with 12GB for $1000, lol. So, if you want a half-decent amount of Vram from Nvidia, you gotta spend $1000 for it. Otherwise, you get a pathetic 10GB. I think Nvidia is screwed here. I can't imagine getting anything other than a 6800 XT at this point. You get 3080 performance with 16GB Vram for $650. I don't think Nvidia will even try to compete with this. They will be like Intel and just keep charging hilarious prices, giving you less and less for your money until everyone just starts going red.
It's a good point, but don't you have a gsync monitor?

I know you can benefit more from the 6800xt with an amd board and amd 5 series cpu too.

It will be a tough decision at least for me. Unless I can sell this monitor and get another ultrawide that would be compatible with with gsync and freesync.

$999 for a 3080ti is tough sell when you can get a 6900xt for the same price. The Ti model would need to perform pretty damn close making the 3090 pretty much pointless.

I'm planning an upgrade but now I'm completely stumped on what to do.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you're upgrading right now, whatever you can get is your best bet. I expect AMD to be supply constrained and their new cards to sell out fast.

Both the 3080 and 6800XT are great cards for the price and offer some of the best value you could hope to get in recent memory.

If you're looking for a step up and don't expect the a hypothetical Ti to offer much different than a 6900XT then just get the XT because who knows when a 3080 Ti will come out.

Unless you're willing to wait for Intel's next CPUs to launch as well, I think that now is a better time to do a new build than just about any other point in the last several years.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
If you're looking for a step up and don't expect the a hypothetical Ti to offer much different than a 6900XT then just get the XT because who knows when a 3080 Ti will come out.

Just because 3090 makes no real sense for gaming, is no reason to buy the 6900XT which makes even less sense. The performance delta of 6900XT over 6800XT is completely insignificant when you realize, AMD compared them with Rage Mode and Smart memory access on to make the 6900XT look better. Just get a 6800XT.

$999 for a 3080ti is tough sell when you can get a 6900xt for the same price. The Ti model would need to perform pretty damn close making the 3090 pretty much pointless.

I see no issue at all with that. 3090 (AKA Titan) buyers should be expecting it.

In recent generations like Maxwell, and Pascal, the point of x80Ti cards was to have Titan performance for much cheaper, and the 3090 card is this generations Titan.

Reactions: ozzy702

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

Nvidia is going to market the crap out of DLSS and RT. From all the leaks that have hit since AMD's reveal, it looks like AMD flat out loses at RT computation 100% of the time. Honestly I think either product is great. I don't know if BF5, Control, Metro, and Watchdogs Legion are RTX exclusives or if they're DXR, but that could influence buyers.

Also, the biggest game release in years - Cyberpunk 2077, is going to sway many, many buyers. If Cyberpunk is a solid 10-15% faster on equivalent Nvidia hardware, that may sway quite a few buyers to Nvidia camps (assuming availability to buy is there).

The RTX 3070 probably needs a day zero price drop to $479, and RTX 3070 TI at the same $579 price tag as the 6800.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Poor 11gb 1080ti and 16gb R VII owners who thought their high vram cards would keep them ahead of 8gb variants @ 4k.

relative-performance_3840-2160.png
This is one of the most idiotic comparisons I've seen here in a post. Truly reddit-worthy.

Reactions: lightmanek

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you're upgrading right now, whatever you can get is your best bet. I expect AMD to be supply constrained and their new cards to sell out fast.

Both the 3080 and 6800XT are great cards for the price and offer some of the best value you could hope to get in recent memory.

Unless you're willing to wait for Intel's next CPUs to launch as well, I think that now is a better time to do a new build than just about any other point in the last several years.
I think I'll wait a bit longer to see if the Ti eventually shows up. Im kind of stuck having a gsync monitor that I bought a 2.5 years ago.

I don't really like AMD's marketing with 'Rage' mode and their comparisons that were a bit out of line. Some had Rage and SAM, others didn't. It's best to wait for the independent reviews anyway.

Sure I can run my monitor with a 6800xt but I won't get all the benefits of it.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Well actually that's half the truth.. We haven't seen RT performance which by the looks of it will be significantly worse than 3080 so there's that.. Also DLSS is a tested alternative while AMD's solution is still in beta. Not saying 6800XT or 6800 are not amazing products on the contrary they look really good. Remains to see a vast array of games tested by youtubers on launch date but definitely AMD is here on top to stay.. But saying that you get 3080 performance is half the truth..Additionally 3080 uses GDDR6x which are faster and give more memory bandwidth for the given amount of VRAM.. Also those MSRPs on nice on paper and 3080's MSRP was sweet but let's wait and see the availability first and the real world pricing especially for the first months and AIB solutions..

Agreed that creates mind-share and marketing "prestige"..
You (just as we) have no way of knowing how the 3080's GD6X holds up against the 6800XT's GD6+128 cache solution in effevtive bandwidth. You can guess but you can't make statements like this. However, we can pretty safely state that the 16 GB VRAM is more than the 10 GB. Whether it means anything to you or not, you decide for yourself when you purchase a graphics card.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
This is one of the most idiotic comparisons I've seen here in a post. Truly reddit-worthy.
If you read my follow up (2 posts down), I did say it was pointless and mentioned other variables and that this is NOT a proper indicator of vram needs. And that the point of the chart is THAT is the sort of criteria that majority incorrectly look at to reach conclusions, incl other sites like HUB.

So be prepared for a flood of future charts that use FPS as the sole indicator of vram insufficiency, either here or on the web and be prepared to tear your hair out trying to address them.

Reactions: lobz

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
$999 honestly sounds like a lot for a theoretical 3080ti. Its still a cut chip and only has 2gb more ram. You'll get what 5% more performance than the 3080? Its mostly a purchase for 'ram anxiety' $899 is probably where is should go and its still not a great deal at that price. I know I would 100% buy a 6800XT over it. Certainly $999 is the price cap at least. Depends if they can actually move them in volume I suppose.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
You (just as we) have no way of knowing how the 3080's GD6X holds up against the 6800XT's GD6+128 cache solution in effevtive bandwidth. You can guess but you can't make statements like this. However, we can pretty safely state that the 16 GB VRAM is more than the 10 GB. Whether it means anything to you or not, you decide for yourself when you purchase a graphics card.

I wrote "Additionally 3080 uses GDDR6x which are faster and give more memory bandwidth for the given amount of VRAM.. ". I think you misundestood the meaning of this because what this means is that for a given amount of vram higher memory speed increases the memory bandwidth significantly in contrast to plain GDDR6. To give a clear example 2080Ti uses GDDR6 and has higher amount of VRAM than 3080 but has ~616GB/s memory bandwidth in contrast to 3080 which has ~760GB/s. What this means in numbers is that despite the 1 extra Gb of VRAM 2080Ti has ~23.3% less memory bandwidth than 3080..
Amount of VRAM is not a deciding factor solely by itself and nowhere in my statement did I say that it will be enough or not for 4k in the future but for now it's plenty enough.. And of course nowhere did I compared in this sentence the 6800XT vram/memory bandwidth to 3080s.. I stated that the total difference is not a simple 16vs10Gb of VRAM as some may think..Just some food for thought ;)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
$999 honestly sounds like a lot for a theoretical 3080ti. Its still a cut chip and only has 2gb more ram. You'll get what 5% more performance than the 3080? Its mostly a purchase for 'ram anxiety' $899 is probably where is should go and its still not a great deal at that price. I know I would 100% buy a 6800XT over it. Certainly $999 is the price cap at least. Depends if they can actually move them in volume I suppose.

Personally, I don't see how Nvidia can charge anything more than $700 for a 3080Ti. It will perform slightly better than a 6800 XT but have much less Vram and worse power consumption. I hope Nvidia charges $1000 for it just so I can have a good reason to point and laugh. I honestly think the only option is to simply replace the 3080 with the Ti model and move the 3080 down the stack in the form of a 3070Ti. Nvidia simply didn't offer enough for the money.