Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I have a feeling that the Samsung process has a sizable share of the blame concerning the massive power numbers we're seeing for this card. Sure it's fair to say that with all of the other stuff they added that driving PPW wasn't a priority, but it's still a big jump.

If that is the case NVidia wants to get to 5nm as soon as they can. Just look how badly AMD was hamstrung by GF being a node behind Intel for so long.

Assuming AMD finally has a card worth all of the usual hype that the community builds up before a launch that doesn't leave NVidia with a lot of room. Ideally it means we get even better prices than we already have as both companies butt heads for market share.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hopper is more conservative at pushing RT or new features, but offers a massive boost in efficiency. Obviously they get a bigger uplift if the Samsung process really is at fault, but I have no doubt that there are architecture gains to be made, especially on newer technology.

Agreed. I'm curious when we'll see a node drop from NVidia. AFAIK, 5nm is mostly booked solid over at TSMC with Apple being the largest customer due to their regular stuff and now a modified SoC for their computers. We'll find out tomorrow. Frank Azor posted a coded message on his Twitter using the song Tomorrow from what I assume is either Annie or The Sound of Music.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Ampere's power consumption might be peaky.
Well, in Tom's HW measurings, RTX 2080 Ti (TU102) had peaks about 380W... I'm expecting that RTX 3080/3090 (GA102) will go up to 450/500W in peaks.

75h3yUV2yf5ScTojrdvtVR-2560-80.png

WUsrYEpwQgGMrUZD67xVTC.png

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I don't think nVidia will lose efficiency(perf/watt) crown this generation. As they know big navi is coming soon and it will be compared to Ampere
As mentioned by Linus in this video they wouldn't have sent power measuring tools such as PCAT if they were worried by RDNA2 efficiency

Edit: I was mixing up the LDAT and the PCAT

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Videocardz has an article on above, plus some alleged gaming benchmarks compared to a 2080 Super:

Far Cry 5 +62%
Borderlands 3 +56%
AC Odyssey +48%
Forza Horizon 4 +48%

Reactions: Mopetar

Konan

Jul 28, 2017

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Videocardz has an article on above, plus some alleged gaming benchmarks compared to a 2080 Super:

Far Cry 5 +62%
Borderlands 3 +56%
AC Odyssey +48%
Forza Horizon 4 +48%
Doubt...way less than i expected... if true, the 3070=2080ti, kinda uncomfortably close to XboxSX

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
For those interested here is a good explanation on Ampere

This video finally made me understand what's happening.
It's not that Nvidia is "cheating" and "lying", this is just a natural progression of how they are improving their architecture since Pascal.
Pascal had a deficiency, that was mitigated with Turing and now exploited for more performance on Ampere. Is logical and fair, but still remains the issue of "controversy" about how Nvidia explains this change to the consumers. Is not that the number 32bit Floating Point that Ampere can perform were cleanly doubled compared to Turing, what's happening is that Ampere "have the potential" to perform double the number of 32bit Flops. But it can't do this always all the time and some people will always find issue to sued anything to hell.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Doubt...way less than i expected... if true, the 3070=2080ti, kinda uncomfortably close to XboxSX

Wait for the official reviews.

Why mention Xbox? I don't think they're really competing against each other. You take the Xbox out of the box plug it in and your all set.

Besides if true what's wrong with a RTX 3070 that performs like a 2080Ti. As long as your not hung up on memory capacity it doesn't sound like a bad option depending on a persons resolution of choice.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Agreed. I'm curious when we'll see a node drop from NVidia. AFAIK, 5nm is mostly booked solid over at TSMC with Apple being the largest customer due to their regular stuff and now a modified SoC for their computers. We'll find out tomorrow. Frank Azor posted a coded message on his Twitter using the song Tomorrow from what I assume is either Annie or The Sound of Music.
IIRC, AMD buys more wafers. Apple is a priority customer. They buy risk production (essentially subsidizing node refinement), and pay more per wafer so that they are first in line.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Wait for the official reviews.

Why mention Xbox? I don't think they're really competing against each other. You take the Xbox out of the box plug it in and your all set.

Besides if true what's wrong with a RTX 3070 that performs like a 2080Ti. As long as your not hung up on memory capacity it doesn't sound like a bad option depending on a persons resolution of choice.
Yeah, the 3070 doesn't seem like it's a really well positioned card, but if it's still about as fast as the 2080 Ti that's pretty typical for old Ti to new x70. The 970 equaled the 780 Ti, and the 1070 was about as fast as AIB 980 Ti's.The 2070 was actually slower than the 1080 Ti that launched a year and a half before and was only $100 cheaper in FE form.

Reactions: Ken g6

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
So new xbox with 8/16core zen2, 16Gb GDDR6, 12TF RDNA2 GPU, 1TB NVME SSD, power supply, and Blu-ray will cost same as 3070 and performance will be very close.I dont see how NV want sell 8GB 3070 for 499USD anymore.Its overpriced garbage compare to xbox.
Should be 399usd max if they want sell something vs xbox

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015

Far Cry 5 +62%
Borderlands 3 +56%
AC Odyssey +48%
Forza Horizon 4 +48%
So basically 20-25% faster than RTX 2080 Ti?

Sounds about right.

Reactions: Tarkin77

CastleBravo

Dec 6, 2019
So new xbox with 8/16core zen2, 16Gb GDDR6, 12TF RDNA2 GPU, power supply, and Blu-ray will cost same as 3070 and performance will be very close.I dont see how NV want sell 8GB 3070 for 499USD anymore.Its overpriced garbage compare to xbox.

You forgot the 1TB NVMe drive.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So new xbox with 8/16core zen2, 16Gb GDDR6, 12TF RDNA2 GPU, power supply, and Blu-ray will cost same as 3070 and performance will be very close.I dont see how NV want sell 8GB 3070 for 499USD anymore.Its overpriced garbage compare to xbox.

They don't compete in the same markets.

You know PC elitist gamer vs the peasant console gamer. /s

For the person who's on the fence with $500 to spend? Probably best to wait and see what price point the PS5 lands at.

The next gen consoles do make the dGPU market pricing pretty silly when you consider what all you get in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: KompuKare

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not sure what'll happen, but it could get ugly. If you think you want one and have the opportunity you might want to just commit on impulse.

Tom's hardware went clickbait? You think they'd dig a little deeper before publishing.

Contra-marketing? Guess it might work to get those wait and see guys that want to see what AMD has to offer.

If it is good at mining I might just pick one up. Who cares if it's a power hog that eats up 300W when I can just run it 24/7 instead of turning on the heat.

If the hash rates are that good I've really only bought a space heater that pays for its own cost of operation and initial investment. I suppose I can occasionally play games in 4K with it as well.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
So new xbox with 8/16core zen2, 16Gb GDDR6, 12TF RDNA2 GPU, 1TB NVME SSD, power supply, and Blu-ray will cost same as 3070 and performance will be very close.I dont see how NV want sell 8GB 3070 for 499USD anymore.Its overpriced garbage compare to xbox.
It would be pretty amazing if you could ever get Win10 or dual boot the Series X. There'd be little reason to own a desktop for a huge number of potential users.

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
yeah :D so 3070 looks even worse
Console hardware have always been sold at a lost because that's how the business work. Just like razors, you make your money on the blades. MS/Sony/Nintendo make money on every game that get sold. I don't know why people keep comparing price of consoles to PC hardware, they're not comparable.

Konan

Jul 28, 2017

Far Cry 5 +62%
Borderlands 3 +56%
AC Odyssey +48%
Forza Horizon 4 +48%

They also mention that this channel where all this was posted has already been caught using fake review samples and publishing a review earlier (they hid the name of the Ryzen processor). This time leakers do not show any review sample, so we cannot confirm if they actually tested the card or have done a bit of 'guestimation'

The video got pulled down too. I leaning towards more fakery and guessing due to the history of the channel doing it before where they have been caught out. So really a non-story.