Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
I will quote it for everyone who is lazy enough to not bother with looking at that blog post:

Its still named 7 nm LPP, by Samsung, despite being absolutely no different than 8 nm LPP, and vastly different from 7 nm LPP(EUV)...

Samsung's Exynos is always a trial run for their new process, which make it only a very modest upgrade from their previous version on different node. I think it was same for their 20nm as well, which was only a very modest upgrade from their 28nm on their first effort on 20nm.
9825 should be more like on 7nm LPE than LPP. Since they already have a proper 7nm going (evidenced by their latest 990), any new 7nm product fabbed from Samsung will not resemble anything like that on 9825 for sure.

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Samsung's Exynos is always a trial run for their new process, which make it only a very modest upgrade from their previous version on different node. I think it was same for their 20nm as well, which was only a very modest upgrade from their 28nm on their first effort on 20nm.
9825 should be more like on 7nm LPE than LPP. Since they already have a proper 7nm going, any new 7nm product fabbed from Samsung will not resemble anything like that on 9825 for sure.
This is only your speculation.

All of what we know, and has been leaked points to a reality that it is still slightly refined 8 nm LPP process that is called 7 nm "whatever".

And you CANNOT deny that.

Reactions: spursindonesia

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
This is only your speculation.

All of what we know, and has been leaked points to a reality that it is still slightly refined 8 nm LPP process that is called 7 nm "whatever".

And you CANNOT deny that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We are all speculating right?
Until Nvidia makes the official announcement on September 1, no one is right or wrong at this point.
If Ampere is based on TSMC 7nm, this whole conversation will end up being pointless I am afraid lol.

Oh, I stand firm on my stance that Samsung will not call refined 8nm LPP a 7nm whatever. Its name will be something else.

Last edited:

xpea

Feb 14, 2014
Wow still discussing about Ampere process ?
2 years I know that Ampere will be split between TSMC 7nm and Samsung 7nm EUV, like Pascal and Turing previously...
Kopite (and/or his source) is wrong on 8nm. Sorry for the believers.

First google link:

Samsung to manufacture NVIDIA’s next-gen GPU
The market had expected that NVIDIA would stick to TSMC’s 7nm process for its next-gen GPU. However, subsequent reports suggest that Samsung had “aggressively undercut” TSMC on price. It was a bold move by the company as it continues to work hard to win over more customers from its foremost competitor.

The move has done the trick. NVIDIA Korea chief Yoo Eung-joon confirmed during a press conference today that production of the company’s next-gen GPU architecture will be carried out by Samsung on its 7nm EUV process. “It is meaningful that Samsung Electronics’ 7-nanometer process would be used in manufacturing our next-generation GPU,” Yoo said.

Can we move on now ?

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Can we move on now ?

Naw, fanois and haters with no actual insider knowledge will just regurgitate whatever fits the narrative they're trying to spin ad nauseam. Can't wait for some concrete information. I'll likely place an order for a 3070 assuming it lands where I think it will. Not sure I can justify much more with how little I game these days. I'd rather put it towards a new mnt bike for the wife.

• Haha
Reactions: spursindonesia

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Wow still discussing about Ampere process ?
2 years I know that Ampere will be split between TSMC 7nm and Samsung 7nm EUV, like Pascal and Turing previously...
Kopite (and/or his source) is wrong on 8nm. Sorry for the believers.

That's what's been discussed the last couple of pages - they were going to use SS7 but bad yields, y'know, and they were forced to port the bigger gaming dies back to SS8.

As to why they are calling it SS8 "7 nm", that they are legit concerned about AMD would be an easy answer. Don't want to be perceived that they are falling behind.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Under accessories it lists a "sag holder". Does that mean they'll come with those kick stand type things that prop up the card to prevent it from sagging when vertically mounted?

Reactions: lightmanek

Tarkin77

Mar 10, 2018
Couldn't Vega pull upwards of 450 with unlocked power? 500 W is believable with ocing. Not sure if an AIB would release a card with 500w tdp though

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I own a Radeon VII, watercooled, +50% Power Target @ 2.075MHz and under max gaming load (Doom Eternal) or ETH Mining it pulls around 400W constantly --- Furmark is different ... my PSU shuts down in 1 sec. (470W+ load). I have a Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W - i think its to weak for this kind of load :D So if the new 3090 RTX pulls around 400+W overclocked, one REALLY needs a VERY GOOD and expensive PSU!

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Who's gonna bet that Ampere is but a die-shrunk Turing with more CUDA cores at each tier, with improved RT performance but similar rasterization performance as Turing? It sure seems that way to me, since the rumors point to only 10-15% more performance in the RTX 3080 over the RTX 2080 Ti

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Doubt it.

AMD could really hit Nvidia where it hurts, and that's great. They'll take turns lowering prices, and I can get a sweet nv card for cheap. Going to say that AMD managed to get within 85% of all of nv's upcoming lineup.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
I don't think AMD is so keen on a serious price war with Nvidia. AMD has both CPUs and GPUs on 7nm process and they have a limited allocation of wafers. CPUs compete much better against the competition than GPUs so the manufacturing priority should be on them and because of that they will want to maximize margins instead of gaining market share in the gpu market, they have their GPUs in consoles so It's not like game developers can ignore AMD and mainly optimize for Nvidia.

Reactions: ozzy702

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Who's gonna bet that Ampere is but a die-shrunk Turing with more CUDA cores at each tier, with improved RT performance but similar rasterization performance as Turing? It sure seems that way to me, since the rumors point to only 10-15% more performance in the RTX 3080 over the RTX 2080 Ti

Nvidia has added a boatload of transistors and pushed the TBP from 250W to 350W. The shader count has only increased 20% and clocks are roughly the same.

They must have used the extra transistors and TDP somewhere (we know that cache's have been resized considerably for instance). Sure extra tensor-cores and RT-cores are part of it, but they cannot account for all

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I don't think AMD is so keen on a serious price war with Nvidia. AMD has both CPUs and GPUs on 7nm process and they have a limited allocation of wafers. CPUs compete much better against the competition than GPUs so the manufacturing priority should be on them and because of that they will want to maximize margins instead of gaining market share in the gpu market, they have their GPUs in consoles so It's not like game developers can ignore AMD and mainly optimize for Nvidia.
They'll price accordingly and aim for a larger margin than they'd normally go for. Not that I know myself, but I doubt their royalty per gaming unit sold is much. It's a lot of hardware being sold for a rumored $500. You could probably get a vague idea off of their quarterly reports if they list semi custom/custom sales.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Nvidia has added a boatload of transistors and pushed the TBP from 250W to 350W. The shader count has only increased 20% and clocks are roughly the same.

They must have used the extra transistors and TDP somewhere (we know that cache's have been resized considerably for instance). Sure extra tensor-cores and RT-cores are part of it, but they cannot account for all
Was that transistors count confirmed?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Was that transistors count confirmed?
AFAIK it hasn't.

Yet the die size is 627mm^2 and it's on a 7nm process (too many pictures and around for these to be fake).

Even if it's using a "fake Samsung 7nm" process as some claimed (which i highly doubt) that means a considerable transistor budget increase. Even more so if it's TSMC 7nm or Samsung 7nm EUV.

EDIT:
By the way, We know that 826 mm^2 A100 is 54 million transistors on TSMC 7nm. If A102 is 627mm^2 , 34.5b seems quite plausible

Last edited:

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
They'll price accordingly and aim for a larger margin than they'd normally go for. Not that I know myself, but I doubt their royalty per gaming unit sold is much. It's a lot of hardware being sold for a rumored $500. You could probably get a vague idea off of their quarterly reports if they list semi custom/custom sales.
And where was I talking about royalty per SoC in consoles? I was talking about something totally different.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
And where was I talking about royalty per SoC in consoles? I was talking about something totally different.
Then why talk about margins? Can't ignore a large segment. AMD has had APUs/CPUs/GPUs in consoles for a long time. Remember? Where did that get AMD? Or do you mean the semi-custom Zen2 processor being used? Because I still fail to see how that'll translate well into the PC market. The gaming industry is slow to evolve. You'll be stuck waiting half a decade before a majority of developers begin using upwards of 8 cores or more regularly.

Last edited: