'Amnesty' for song swappers?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00455/

The RIAA has announced an amnesty program. From the link:

"According to sources, the RIAA will not pursue legal action if infringers delete all unauthorized music files from their computers, destroy all copies (including CD-Rs) and promise not to upload such material in the future. Each infringing household member will have to send a completed, notarized amnesty form to the RIAA, with a copy of a photo ID. Those who renege on their promise will be subject to charges of willful copyright infringement (our emphasis).

It's not much of an amnesty program when someone the RIAA doesn't know about are supposed to take actions that would prevent them from ever knowing about you in the future.

But that's not the important point, and every P2Per websites I've seen completely missed it.

The important point is the term "willful copyright infringement." If you have "willful" copyright infringement, criminal charges can be made against you. That means jail.

If you actually did what the RIAA suggested, complete with notarized statements and all, and they caught you at it again, you've given them a ready-made criminal case tied with a bow proving "willfulness" which they can then hand over to the authorities to try and get you a stay at Club Fed.

This is too much even for me.

While I don't think P2Pers have been exactly hammering the RIAA site looking for the amnesty form :), actually doing this would come close to qualifying you for a Darwin Award (non-lethal class, anyway).

If you want to come clean, and fly right, just get rid of the stuff and sin no more.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Sounds good, but no one will do it until they found out the RIAA is already after them. Or you told them you had 2x72Gbs SCSIs full of music and on a T-1 Line :D I would love to see them give you amnesty.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Anyone watch the cops episode where they threw a fake contest and only invited people who were wanted for felony warrants ? This is basiclly admitting that you had "illegal" music files and only gives them more reason to monitor/target YOU !

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Tabb
Sounds good, but no one will do it until they found out the RIAA is already after them. Or you told them you had 2x72Gbs SCSIs full of music and on a T-1 Line :D I would love to see them give you amnesty.

Part of their amnesty deal/scam is that you delete all you ill gotten music files. Not to mention that once you sign up and admit to having "illegal files" you are basically highlighting yourself for their next sweep of music swappers in the future. This will also prevent you from using the ignorance or lack of knowledge defense and paint you as a repeat offender who must be punished to the full extent of the law. More then likely they'll make room for any evil file-swappers in prison by releasing some rapists for early parole.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Tabb

Part of their amnesty deal/scam is that you delete all you ill gotten music files. Not to mention that once you sign up and admit to having "illegal files" you are basically highlighting yourself for their next sweep of music swappers in the future. This will also prevent you from using the ignorance or lack of knowledge defense and paint you as a repeat offender who must be punished to the full extent of the law. More then likely they'll make room for any evil file-swappers in prison by releasing some rapists for early parole.

I doubt they would give you amensty if you have $30,000 of music on your HD Shared on a T-1.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
The loopholes in this "amnesty" provision are many and bigger than that butt-ugly image everyone from /. is probably familiar with :disgust:

oreagan

Jul 8, 2002
Let's look at a simple cost-benefit analysis.

If I continue sharing music, I gain music with no cost and a low possibility of lawsuit.
If I stop sharing music, I gain no more free music, but have no legitimate risk of being sued.
If I send in this form, I gain no more free music, maybe won't be sued, but will have been made into the RIAA's bitch.