AmEx Business Card now gets 2% off at Staples

chinnboy

Dec 15, 2001
I haven't seen this anywhere yet, but a lot of people have shown interest in this credit card for its Best Value Guarantee. It just got better for the kind of people that lurk here. The American Express Business Card now gets a 2% discount when used for purchases at Staples. It comes off on your statement so you don't apparently have to use their portal or anything. So now we have 5% Dividend Gold + 2% eBates + 2% uPromise + 2% American Express Bus. Card. Plus BVG. We gradually approach free, step by step. This is good.

Irascible

Jul 6, 2001
So would the "Business Gold Card from OPEN: The Small Business Network"
be one of the cards that we're talking about? I've been thinking of getting that one.

djlevyii

Jul 1, 2001
According to the below statement, you can't use any other promotions, such as a discount coupon or the Dell rebae.

Anyone have anything definative on this??

Discount is available from Dell Small Business division only; is taken off Dell list price; and available to OPEN: The Small Business Network Cardmembers only. To receive the discount, all purchases must be made through www.dell.com/everydaysavings or customer must request Discount via Dell?s toll free Everyday Savings telephone number(s). The Everyday Savings discount is not combinable with any other Dell offer, promotion, or discount and does not apply to lease payments, taxes, or shipping. Resellers excluded. Dell may occasionally provide short term offers on select products that provide a greater discount; at customers? request, customers may select the discount that they would like to receive. Dell is a trademark of Dell Computer Corporation.

Flaredair

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2001
chinnboy, can you explain the 5% Dividend Gold & 2% uPromise programs. No sense in leaving 7% on the table.

By the way, are these Amex programs and do they apply to a certain type of Amex business card? I have a Corporate Optima Platinum.

Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance.

BDP

bit

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
blackfriday.bz
Originally posted by: BigDaddyPig
chinnboy, can you explain the 5% Dividend Gold & 2% uPromise programs. No sense in leaving 7% on the table.

By the way, are these Amex programs and do they apply to a certain type of Amex business card? I have a Corporate Optima Platinum.

Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance.

BDP

BDP, I believe any Amex business card is eligible for the 2% discount. As to the 5% Dividend program, basically you Staples will give you upto 5% of your purchases in Gift Check each quarter, provided that you have a dividend card (which you can apply at staples.com) and link it to your purchases. For B&M use, just give the divedend card and your credit card to the cashier when you check out.

EvanGeliSt

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2002
Kewl deal... looking forward to the day i get an item for free w/o having to think abour rebates and PMing :p

chinnboy

Dec 15, 2001
BigDaddyPig, I'm not expert and ythis is untried, I posted this because there has been interest expressed in the AmEx Business card mainly because of Best Value Guarantee. But I'll share what I know.

Staples has a "frequent buyer" type program called Business Rewards. You are assigned a number which you can enter into your Stapples.com profile, and get plastic cards for use in B&M. They tally up your purchases each quarter and send you a Staples check good for purchases. When you first sign up, the percentage rebate is 2 1/2, it is automatically bumped up (Business Rewards Gold) if your purchases in a year exceed $1,000. Its free and easy, and if you are doing Staples deals its a no brainer. Plus they have periodic special deals sent out to Business Rewards members.

uPromise is a deal where if you make purchases for certain products or at certain merchants they credit a sliver of your purchase to a college savings account, 529 plan I think its called. You register your credit card number with uPromise. Once you have done that, any purchase you make at Staples using that card gets you a 2% addition to your account. I think they have a special this month and its 4%. Each participating merchant/product is different, check it out and see if it fits. I have an 11 year old and this may end up paying for a textbook or 2 sometime.

I don't know about the issue raised by djlevyii. I don't actually have a card yet, though I applied for one. It looks like to get the Dell 5% you have to go to Dell for the 5% discount/rebate. I followed the link, and it looks just the same as all the other Dell screens, the rebate offers show etc. Whether they will kill the stackable coupons and such I don't know. I think I have seen others who have said it won't on different threads.

This is specific to the AmEx Business Card, a Gold card with a fee but free for the first year. The Optima does not qualify I don't think.

Hope that covers it.

brota

Dec 3, 2001
Can someone please explain how you can use ebates and Upromise on the same transaction?

Thanks
Brian

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: brota
Can someone please explain how you can use ebates and Upromise on the same transaction?

Thanks
Brian

For Staples purchases, Upromise contributions are credited when you pay for your Staples purchases with the credit card that you registered on the Upromise site so you do not need to do anything to get the Upromise contributions other than use your registered credit card. To get eBates credits, you need to start your Staples.com purchases through their site. However, contrary to popular belief, Staples will eventiually reverse Upromise contributions if you use an affialliate site with your purchase such as eBates. It can take 6-9 months but they will eventually reverse the credit once the affialiate applies for commission credit for your order. This also now applies to Business Rewards members Early in the Upromis program, you could get both eBates and Upromise credit and it looked like they were going to pay both. If you were a Business Rewards member, you could get credit for that program also. However, Staples has "wised up" and thiis no longer the case.

dshodson

Nov 2, 2001
do u actually have to own a business to get the amex business card?
i heard they give u a free hertz gold membership with it which is like worth 50 bucks
any comments on this

D

bit

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
blackfriday.bz
Originally posted by: dshodson
do u actually have to own a business to get the amex business card?
i heard they give u a free hertz gold membership with it which is like worth 50 bucks
any comments on this

D

no, if you have good credit history, you can use your own name as business name when you apply.