America's great Education:4-18 Arnold fires 14,000 teachers

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Arnold is a smart boy. No need for teachers with NCLB.

You can use anyone off the street for minumum wage to get droid children to memorize the LEAP 21 test.

4-18-2008 Other states woo California teachers amid wave of pink slips

Legislators are negotiating more than $4 billion in education cuts proposed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to combat a budget shortfall caused by the housing slump and a stagnant economy.

About 14,000 teachers have received pink slips throughout the state, according to the California Teachers Association.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How about first slashing all the funds wasted on illegal crimmigrants, that would go far.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

You can use anyone off the street for minumum wage to get droid children to memorize the LEAP 21 test.

Legislators are negotiating more than $4 billion in education cuts proposed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to combat a budget shortfall caused by the housing slump and a stagnant economy.

About 14,000 teachers have received pink slips throughout the state, according to the California Teachers Association.

What does this have to do with "No Child Left Behind"?

It seems to me it has to do with balancing a budget - aren't you for that?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Not if a "R" is doing it. If it's a "R" then it's evil program cutting.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Not if a "R" is doing it. If it's a "R" then it's evil program cutting.

Oh, yeah <slaps forehead> Duh!

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
What we need to do is stop stuff like THIS from happening. Your tax dollars at work :(. We need to get rid of the bloat like this, not so much the teachers.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I read about this months ago. I think it?s a threat, by law California has to send out notices so many months before a ?possible layoff? which would come after they figure out there budget near the end of the year. They will probably cut from somewhere else or use this as an excuse to do away with some other social programs. No matter what they do the cuts they make are going to have to be deep with all the revenue being lost to housing prices declining.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Something has to get cut... The reason we expanded school funding in california so much was because of the robust growth all from the real estate market starting in 2002-2003. The higher property tax revenue also helped the schools a ton... now that the real estate values are dropping fast and the property taxes are soon to follow. The CA education system is going to be screwed big time. The recession is not going to help the CA tax revenues one bit as well.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Enig101
The last thing the US needs is a weaker education system. It's pathetic as-is.

No there are great private schools and some excellent public school systems. They are the excption of course as it should be. What will the U.S. do with all these educated people running around who refuse to work in the service industry? We need high school drop outs more than ever. Why try to fix the U.S. educational system?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Drako
What we need to do is stop stuff like THIS from happening. Your tax dollars at work :(. We need to get rid of the bloat like this, not so much the teachers.

holy crap!!!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Come on, it's California. The cradle of leftist thinking in the US. Surely it must be utopian!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The USA survives on the entrepreneurial spirit. This spirit survives on creativity. NCLB is all about creating memorizing robots who shun creativity.

I suggest eliminating NCLB but eliminate the teacher's union along with it.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
Some thing should be cut from the budget. Education is not one of them. If I were Arnold I'd raise the sin tax to cover the education.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Good, public education has become an unwieldy behemoth. I'm glad Arnold has the guns to shoot down that ever-increasing snowball.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix

holy crap!!!

heh, thats not as uncommon as you may think!

I find it funny that these school superintendents often make more or as much as the vice-president of the United States. Hmmm, which is more important? A local school supervisor or someone who is helping run the entire country?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Enig101
The last thing the US needs is a weaker education system. It's pathetic as-is.

Agreed. But then we wouldn't have cannon fodder for the wars, or fresh meat for the prisons.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: DEMO24
Originally posted by: Citrix

holy crap!!!

heh, thats not as uncommon as you may think!

I find it funny that these school superintendents often make more or as much as the vice-president of the United States. Hmmm, which is more important? A local school supervisor or someone who is helping run the entire country?

Dick Cheney or Al Gore's salary? They should have to give us money, not the other way around.