America's Army

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
If it's free or under $20: yes and en mass. According to gamespy stats, still over 5k playing on a Saturday afternoon.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp
If it's free or under $20: yes and en mass. According to gamespy stats, still over 5k playing on a Saturday afternoon.

AA is payed for by US tax dollars. It is free to download and play. They are using the Unreal Tournament 2.5 engine right now, IIRC with an Unreal 3.0 engine in the works.

The console version may not be free though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I remember playing it when it was first out and I really liked it. I havent played it within the past couple years but it when it was out it was a good looking game and was very realistic.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I played for a little bit when it first came out, but at the time I had an MX420... wasn't pushing too many pixels. Seemed pretty fun, though. Too bad I never got around to SF training.

NYCSTE2003

Oct 27, 2003
i just installed it and the game freezes on the login screen. sound goes in and out to.

my computer can easily play this game. any ideas

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I used to play it a while back but had trouble getting interested. It seemed overly realistic at times - being a rifleman on a sniper map was really hard. I also gave up on Special Forces training when I couldn't get past this one watch tower.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
is there any way to skip past the training phase and just to get to the FPS ?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I used to play it a while back but had trouble getting interested. It seemed overly realistic at times - being a rifleman on a sniper map was really hard. I also gave up on Special Forces training when I couldn't get past this one watch tower.

The watch tower was a bitch...

I used to LOVE this game...but honestly I gave it another try and it really sucks now. The server ping times are terrible and the game play isn't fluid at all.

Very hurky jerky when walking around and trying to perform any actions...

It was a great concept but the game play wasn't there for me...

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: syzygy
is there any way to skip past the training phase and just to get to the FPS ?

Not that I know of. Paratrooper training and basic training are kinda fun, but training for medic is just stupid. Sitting in a classroom so that you can run around and heal people BF2-style? No thanks.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I loved the game and loved how it required classrooms and other training. Sure, they were boring, but it wasn't meant to be a pick up and play game. The reason it was free was to educate and recruit, thus the simulated training.
I haven't played in forever, because I get that with games. However, I play other shooters, and always try and compare it to AA and am always sorely disappointed. For instance, I hate CS/CS:S because it's too unrealistic compared to AA, but I do enjoy Ghost Recon because they capture the realism very well. I'm a slow FPS player, and I always get owned because nobody else does. In a game that forces slow play, where everyone tends to play realistically, I fare much better as that is how I would play. I try and play like I would go about objectives in real life. I do enjoy playing the unrealistic games for some fun every now and then, like I also enjoy UT.
I do hope the UE3 version of AA comes soon, as I really want to play it again but I'm waiting for that version.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
I loved the game and loved how it required classrooms and other training. Sure, they were boring, but it wasn't meant to be a pick up and play game. The reason it was free was to educate and recruit, thus the simulated training.
I haven't played in forever, because I get that with games. However, I play other shooters, and always try and compare it to AA and am always sorely disappointed. For instance, I hate CS/CS:S because it's too unrealistic compared to AA, but I do enjoy Ghost Recon because they capture the realism very well. I'm a slow FPS player, and I always get owned because nobody else does. In a game that forces slow play, where everyone tends to play realistically, I fare much better as that is how I would play. I try and play like I would go about objectives in real life. I do enjoy playing the unrealistic games for some fun every now and then, like I also enjoy UT.
I do hope the UE3 version of AA comes soon, as I really want to play it again but I'm waiting for that version.

Are they coming out with a different engine?

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
i installed it 2 days ago.

pretty good game but i suck at it, so i usually avoid playing it...

even with an mx518 i still sux.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
I played it for a while, but got sick of the rampant hacking. Along with the stupid fact everyone would mash the Grenadier and Auto Rifleman buttons to get them at the start of the round.

Also, don't even get me started on the training. SF training E and E training was next to impossible, but I finally got it. Medic training was also stupid, which in the end was pretty much just holding down a key to heal a guy.

Inferno0032

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2007
gamefaqs makes SF training a 15 minute breeze. Was avidly into it for quite awhile, but finally began hitting my peak about a year ago and my gameplay time has gone down. Will keep playing it on and off however.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
If I remember my old account info I might still play...