American or Japanese Car???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000
I went american, but for different reasons...

My choice car back in 96 would have been an eclipse, but my 6'1" frame @ 215 pounds didn't fit without a shoehorn.

I tried mazda 626, acura integra, toyota celica. same problem. I then sat in a dodge avenger, it was love at first seat.

honestly, I don't fit in small cars. I think there are alot of us out there. The japs make small cars that get great gas mileage and decent performance.

If i could have afforded a german car, I would have. The car it was replacing, BTW, was a 1980 Volvo 244DL that had 540,000 miles on it when I finally retired it in 1988 :) Now that is a vehicle!

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Its not the first time I've heard people say they are too big to fit in Japanesse cars, but with most of you I just don't get it.

6,1" and 215lbs? I'm 5,11 and have been up to 205 and have never had any problem fitting in our cars (all japanesse). My father is 6,3", 250 lbs+ and never complains when he has to drive my mother's subaru Impreza (not a very large car)...maybe you people are just too used to driving around in busses or something! If the car has enough room for me to put the seat far enough back then its dandy (something a saturn doesn't have - at least the only one I ever drove, goddamn piece of garbage).

BiB

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I tend to perfer american cars because of thier larger feel and torque. Sure imports can swing corners a bit faster, but around where I live deer tend to be around corners too. Getting that kick in the butt when you slam on the gas can make for some safe fun if you're careful.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Addendum to the last post:
There is an extreme though, I spent a week driving my dad's truck after he had some tendons attached in his right arm. A 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 24v cummins and 6 speed is fun for a while, but you get over it fast. I ends up just a pain in the ass to park.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I still want my damn hard evidence that japanese cars are better. The media leads you to believe that, but if each had the same level of care I'd challenge you to show me that on average japanese cars are better than american. The only difference I see is that japanese cars have more scheduled maintance with american cars you usually wait until it breaks to fix it. You're still replacing the same part though. Show me examples, and if you say consumer reports i'll slap ya' since they're in bed with more people than lozer's fly hunnies hehe...

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000
Mr Vince

Though I didn't test drive a prelude, the aforementioned cars were to small.

However, empirical experiment detailed:

Take your prelude to a dodge dealer, park next to a black avenger with the leather interior. Get out of prelude, sit in avenger, and try to tell me there isn't a big difference. I could die in that car. Saturn has the same problem as the rice burners, too small for bigger guys. My ex-girlfriend had a saturn and whenever we went anywhere, I had to drive in my car because I just didn't fit!

Airplane seats are the same... like forcing a size 11 foot in a size 9 shoe.

And finally, 6'0" @ 240 pounds!?! Drop the Chalupa man! :p

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Well you're right about airplanes, they are too damn small seated.

And Saturns - the one I drove a few years back - THE WORST car I've ever driven. I will never ever buy one, not that I wanted to be a cult member in the first place. I had the seat back as far as possible (ideally a person should have it so that with extended arms the steering wheel is under wrists) and I felt like I was humping the steering wheel; what a piece of crap. I have nothing but bad to say about saturns :p

BiB

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
gohan Ford Tauras arn't exactly the greatest cars in the world to show american reliability since they all had weak trans in them but we still managed to get 180k out of our 93 before the trans started going wacky. The 3.8l still runs fine though. We also have a 96 t-bird with just over 200k on its 4.6L and sofar other than basic maintanence we have done nothing to it. You just have to be a little more picky when buying american.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I'm not too big, 6'1", 190Lbs. But my grandma's Altima (nissan's larger car) forced me to live the most uncomfortable 12 hours of my life when I had to drive it from Lake Havasu to Placerville. My dad who's a little shorter and a bit heavier was driving it down to LA along I5 when he hit a large bump... he had to fly back up because after seeing a chiropractor he was in pain for a month. My '91 GP is quite a bit roomier in all dimensions and not a whole lot larger outside.

If I was 5'8"-5'10" the car would probably be quite a bit more comfortable.

jatwell

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
89 Ford Mustang - 145K Miles, Quit 'cause somebody totaled it (No Engine/Tranny Probs ever)
92 Dodge Caravan - 130K Miles, Still running strong (shocks need replacing)
93 Ford Explorer 165K Miles, Still running (little spark knocking while towing though, no Eng/Trans Probs)
92 Ford Taurus SHO - 152K Miles Still Going Strong (Engine runs fine, clutch replaced once)
92 Saturn 146K Miles, POS but still runs (1 clutch and a head gasket)

American cars are fine if you know how to keep them up. Just change the oil and drive the damn thing.

dohyun

Nov 4, 1999
Well for me i dont care what kinda of car i have ,american ,japanese, german is all fine with me. as long as it can take me places. rather, in the future id like to have a nice bike, doesnt matter what kind, long as i have one.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
'91 taurus with the vulcan v6 here... it sounds better than it is. first transmission got replaced at 50k, still on the second on nearing 115k. every once in a while a feel a slip (hasn't happened in a long time, 10 months or more) but the tranny guy i took it too can't replicate the prob. probably has something more to do with all the tranny fluid draining from the car when it bottomed out after flying across an instersection. jumping a ford taurus is not a good idea. the engine bolts are really weak (been replaced 3 times, twice had nothing to do with hard driving). other than that one transmission replacement, which ford paid for, the car has been damned reliable.

i went test driving recently (my roommate just bough an acura). the wheel in the accord i drove didn't go up far enough, so unless the seat was all the way back it was scraping my knees. i'm not really tall either, just 6', so that is kinda inconvenient. the volvo s40 had the same prob. i'm guessing the cl does as well but i haven't given that a go yet.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< American cars are fine if you know how to keep them up >>

Very true - its not that Japanese cars are more reliable, its just that they put up with abuse better. If you're not the type who wants to know whats going on under the hood - then a Japanese car is for you. But if you don't mind learning and getting your hands dirty - an American car will last you just as long.

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999

It's really more down to your driving style, if you're the type who likes to sit back and relax, you really cant beat something like a Buick LeSabre, well put together, torquey motors, lots of space, comfortable, not too pricey.

If you want a car that will put up with almost anything and never let you down then I'd say get a Camry. They're not incredibly exciting(maybe except for the V6), but they're completely reassuring cars.

Honda's are more exciting than Toyota's, but don't have the same tank-like feel that Toyotas have.

Ford's are fun to drive, especially the new Focus, plus they make good trucks. Fords are well put together, and the parts are pretty reasonable should anything go wrong.

Basically we're spoiled for choice with tons of good cars.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
I'm with Soybomb on this.

My son is driving the Camaro I bought in 1988, it's got over 175,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. No fancy modifications on it, it was simply WELL MAINTAINED.

I have a 95 Chevy Truck with over 90,000 that will soon be getting a new water pump, prior to that the only repair to date was getting the windshield wiper motor replaced. Again, the vehicle has been maintained.

In a HUGE break with tradition, I bought a genuine Nipponese built Toyota last month and I fully expect it will last as long as the others because.......... it will be well maintained.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I own a Japanese car right now and I have had no major problems (except the time that a mechanic didn't put the distributor cap back on right).

That being said, if I had to buy a car right now, I'd go German all the way baby ;)

Mmmmmmmm......... Audi A4 ........... mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Like every purchase, it depends on what model and manufacturer you are talking about. My last two cars have been respectively a Honda Civic, and a Saturn sedan. Both fine cars, absolutely minimal maintainence, and perfect for my needs. How well a car lasts is often as much a reflection of the driver and his driving style, as the car itself.

Darius

Banned
Apr 24, 2000
I have owned a Honda Civic, and a Ford Mustang. I would have to say that the Honda was by far the better car in terms of durability and reliability. The Ford Mustang I owned had many problems. Not just engine problems, but axle and electrical problems. I have 130,000 miles on my Civic now and no problems at all.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
What are you wanting... if you want a truck with Power LOL... American is the ONLY choice, that little add about the Tundra pulling faster then all the american trucks... well thats nice and all but you also notice the Astrix at the bottomit's aginst the 3 american's smallest engines which Chevy only shipped 3% of their Ex-Cab trucks with 4.8's the rest was all 5.3.. much more power and beats that thing into the ground.. when it comes to an economy car get a Honda Civic or something.. When it comes to a Muscle car American again.. You will find more upgrades for Power on a Mustang and Camero/Corvette then anything else. If you have a small penis then you can get a porche or a Type-R