American Airlines flights in Phoenix canceled as temperatures soar

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So at least six of the top ten temps were recorded in the last 30 years. I don't think you're helping your case. :D

oh let him have it. he's on a roll.

but seriously, it's Arizona. It's been hot forever, probably. :D (forever = ~10,000 years or however old the earth is)

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
This is why places like DIA, for example, have very long runways. If you calculate the density altitudes you'll actually find that even at 120*F in Phoenix, the air density is the same as DIA on a cold day.

Altitude of Phoenix is 1086’, and using a temperature of 120*F, standard altimeter setting of 29.92 inches Hg, and dew point of 68*F (doesn’t really make a difference), the density altitude is 5359’.

DIA/Denver is at 5280’ elevation, it has a density altitude of 5359’ at about 38*F! On a decently warm summer day (75*F) the density altitude is 7828’.

According to Wikipedia, the runways in Phoenix are 7,800 to 11,489 ft compared to DIA which are 12,000 to 16,000 ft.

You're technical knowledge of this subject exceeds mine so I gladly defer and thank you for the breakdown.

However many or even most airports that are notorious for hot and high conditions are in South America AND have shorter runways. By and large it was airlines flying into and out of these airports that wanted Boeing to commit to a modernized 757 or a direct replacement that exceeded the 757's unique performance in regards to range, passenger capacity, and it's power to weight ratio that gave such great performance in hot and high performance.

Or matched the 757 performance with greater efficiency. Boeing ultimately decided the market for the 757v.2 was really a niche while at the same time knew the 737 program would offer about 85% of the 757's performance along with greater fleet commonality.

I'm admittedly very biased towards the 757 and was incredibly disappointed Boeing decided not to modernize it.

The first 757 built, used as a testbed for the F-22 program. Rarely photographed outside of BFI or Edwards. Check out all the various housings grafted forward and above the cockpit, housing various technologies employed by the F-22. I own the copyright to this photo and licen$ed it to many industry publications, websites, and IIRC 1 or 2 books.

0552913.jpg

And one of my photos of the last 757 built prior to the ceremonies at RNT. I had maybe a 3 second window to make the shot free of bystanders and has to settle for a shorter exposure than the lighting called for and there was no time to mount a 10-22mm:

0702358.jpg

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Alright determined why this is happening with the CRJ. In the 1990s when Phoenix and other airport hit 120+ F airlines demanded aircraft manufacturers update their charts to include higher than 117F flight data. Many other aircraft had the same issue. Including some of the early model 737s. The CRJ was not updated. Its data only calculates out to 117f. The plane can most likely fly in these temps. But the airlines would take a massive risk if one doesnt make it and they run to court with flight data from the manufacturer that doesn't include 120F.. Thus these were grounded. Honestly cant believe an airline would fly an aircraft type in Phoenix with that kind of restriction.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Deniers acknowledge that the climate is changing, they deny that human activity has anything to do with it.
The 757 replaced the triple engined 727. I wonder if that plane did as well in hot and/or high conditions.