American Airlines flights in Phoenix canceled as temperatures soar

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/1...in-phoenix-canceled-as-temperatures-soar.html

At least 20 American Airlines flights out of Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona have been cancelled amid a weather forecast that predicts a temperature of 120 degrees for Tuesday.

The American Eagle regional flights in question use the Bombardier CRJ aircraft, which has a top operating temperature of 118 degrees, according to an American Airlines statement provided to The Arizona Republic.

=====

Could not believe Faux News will report such incident. Guess Faux News will not deny global warming anymore from now on?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Could not believe Faux News will report such incident. Guess Faux News will not deny global warming anymore from now on?

gianteyeroll.gif

Temps near 120 in Phoenix is as common in the summer as snow is in Buffalo NY in the winter. Fox reports the temperatures everyday. There is nothing to "deny".

Reactions: buckshot24

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
"Hot and high" conditions require either the lowering of an aircraft's MTOW or using additional performance, if the aircraft has it, that is not required in normal operations. The thinner air that a higher altitude airport has along with high temperatures is hell on a wing's and even the most modern high bypass turbofan. Can't get around the physics or air temperature and density.

If an airline can't operate their shitty little CRJ's profitably in such high temperatures they won't which is unfair for booked passengers but is policy.

For a long time many airlines that operated the 757 wanted Boeing to offer a direct replacement for it as the 757 is the go to aircraft for hot and high operations. If you've ever flown into Tegucigalpa airport in the paradise that is Honduras with it's world leading murder rate per capita you were likely on a 757 or a weight restricted 737 or A320. The finals into that airport is legendary if you're into that kinda thing.

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Hot temperatures in one place at one time are no more evidence of climate change than when it snows unexpectedly in October or whatever.

We know climate change is a real danger due to the overwhelming scientific evidence, not because of this.

Even deniers know this. I think.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So is a blow torch!

I've never been the AZ....but my brother just moved there with his lady, and she is from there. She explained it like opening an oven....hot and dry. She also says its preferable to the humidity here where I am in New England. I can't even fathom how people in the Southeast USA stay there.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've never been the AZ....but my brother just moved there with his lady, and she is from there. She explained it like opening an oven....hot and dry. She also says its preferable to the humidity here where I am in New England. I can't even fathom how people in the Southeast USA stay there.
I can't imagine 50°C being preferable to anything! And if it is I don't want to experience the alternative!

It was 30°C here yesterday and that's uncomfortable.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I can't imagine 50°C being preferable to anything! And if it is I don't want to experience the alternative!

It was 30°C here yesterday and that's uncomfortable.

50C + hot and dry = you can sweat, and consume water

Where I am when the Dew Point gets too close to the humidity, you can't sweat....water condenses on your skin to fast....and it's not fun.

Never been to AZ, so I can't make a first hand comparison

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have never heard of a top operating temperature from an aircraft manufacturer. My guess is at this temp they need to weight restrict the CRJ to the point it isn't profitable. Delta weight restricts CRJs at MSP on 40 degree days. Sounds like a problem with the plane imo.

Somebody mentioned the 757. This plane is an unbelievable plane that is designed for hot and high altitude fields. You wont see 737s or A320s able to perform out of those airports like the 757. And in general neither of those planes can perform like the 757. Hopefully this 797 Boeing supposed to unveil soon has the philosophy of the 757 behind it.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
I've made deliveries out in the Southwest before, and while the lack of humidity is great, having darker skin out there isn't so great.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It was 115°Freedom in Tucson yesterday, with a nice breeze. It's kind of like a convection oven.

Anyway, PHX is pretty low at 1120 feet (341m) msl so elevation really isn't a factor. The lack of flight characteristic data for aircraft at high temps is generally what grounds aircraft in Phoenix. It's just as well. Sitting in a plane, waiting for takeoff at those temps really sucks.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
But, it's a dry heat ;)

To me there's truth in that often used "but it's a dry heat!" comment. I've lived in Washington state nearly my entire life but spending much of this summer in Indiana for family reasons. The humidity and heat is suffocating for me and my comments regarding the weather only result in me being told I haven't felt nothing yet.

I've been really missing Washington's mountains and the alpine air, the San Juan islands and the marine climate. Here in Indiana I have a 360 degree view of a flat horizon and it's really tripping me out. I've lived much of my time in WA at the base of the Cascades and have to look up 45 degrees to see the sky. I never realized how invigorating the mountains and alpine lakes are. I already have a never ending urge to get back. Photo of an area called The Enchantments not far from where I am in WA and I will never take such beautiful sights for granted ever again.

Thanks for letting me wallow in my homesick self pity for a moment and my posting of a humble brag pic too!

220px-Prusik_Peak.JPG

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
120 is near all time records for Phoenix. So it's newsworthy. And no, it's not a MMGW story.

Having spent time in both the desert SW (Tucson and Phoenix) and more humid eastern climates, my preference is definitely the SW. Yes, it's hot. It's not personally uncomfortable like sweating your ass off in NC at 90 with above 80% humidity. It's like trying to live in your own soup.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
120 is near all time records for Phoenix. So it's newsworthy. And no, it's not a MMGW story.

Having spent time in both the desert SW (Tucson and Phoenix) and more humid eastern climates, my preference is definitely the SW. Yes, it's hot. It's not personally uncomfortable like sweating your ass off in NC at 90 with above 80% humidity. It's like trying to live in your own soup.

No doubt. The humidity never allows one to feel clean even 5 minutes after a shower. But it's not strictly a choice between dry heat and humidity. I've never understood why people bag on Pacific Northwest climate so much. Who wants to stay inside air conditioned homes or buildings much of the time just to be comfortable and avoid heat stroke in the summer in the rest of the US? Or endure all the ice and snow during the winter? And all those extremes are so much more preferable to some rain and all the resulting green and lushness?!?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I wonder why they don't wet down their runways to lower the temperatures to an operational level?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No doubt. The humidity never allows one to feel clean even 5 minutes after a shower. But it's not strictly a choice between dry heat and humidity. I've never understood why people bag on Pacific Northwest climate so much. Who wants to stay inside air conditioned homes or buildings much of the time just to be comfortable and avoid heat stroke in the summer in the rest of the US? Or endure all the ice and snow during the winter? And all those extremes are so much more preferable to some rain and all the resulting green and lushness?!?
I think living just on the dry side of the ranges would provide the best experience. Somewhere like The Dalles where one can be dry and sunny most of the time but have easy access to the wet side would be good.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I don't think anyone is disparaging that area. It just boils (no pun intended) down to which type of hot climate is preferable. Obviously, PAC NW doesn't factor into that argument.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I don't think anyone is disparaging that area. It just boils (no pun intended) down to which type of hot climate is preferable. Obviously, PAC NW doesn't factor into that argument.
I remember when I lived in Las Cruces and the summer temps reached 116F during the daytime. It was hard to breath with the air that thin and overheating automobiles were common during the daytime in slow moving traffic. The nighttime cool down wasn't so great with temps in the mid 80's before it started all over again. I don't miss living in that region at all.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I think living just on the dry side of the ranges would provide the best experience. Somewhere like The Dalles where one can be dry and sunny most of the time but have easy access to the wet side would be good.

You're definitely right. I recently drove the entire stretch along the Columbia Gorge and while not for the first time I am always amazed how quickly the climate changes from marine just outside Portland to the sweet spot around The Dalles to the desert of Eastern WA and OR.

But that's what's so awesome about the Pacific Northwest as I see it. One can be in Seattle and within two hours and often much less time be in the Alpine Mountains of the Cascades, the rain forests of the Olympic peninsula, the deserts of the east side of the cascades, the Pacific coast, or the San Juan's or even the US-Canadian border with only another half hour to Vancouver BC which is an awesome city despite it's damning narrow roads.

I spent several years at Central Washington University right in the center of the state just as you go over the Cascades onto the East side of them but not yet into the lower regions of eastern Washington. So different than the wet western side, very much a cowboy town but enjoyed what it offered as well.