America is a "third-world" country...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
I think culturally and in terms of education, America has vast room for improvement (I am not convinced we are heading in the right direction in these areas), and that our overall quality of life is inferior to many other similarly industrialized countries. That being said, we are in no sense a third-world country.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Personally I'd rate the ban on smoking in public places probably the single best improvement in living conditions/quality of life our society has made in the last half century (followed by widespread adoption of the internet).

Many of you are probably too young to remember what it was like to go out to a good dinner somewhere being forced to breath down multiple persons' after dinner ciggies, or coming back from the bar smelling like an ashtray (as opposing to smelling like a distillery, which is what God intended).

I'll admit the USA has problems (dismal school standards and fundamentalist no-nothings in government being currently among the worst) but I still think our society compares very favorably to any others in the world-espeically considering the size and diversity of our population.

Hong Kong makes it's money as a spigot for Red China-that could change literally overnight if China decided to put it's boot down.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
And right on cue, the Texans and southerners come in to defend third world shittiness.

I get a lot of amusement out of this forum sometimes. :)

But then I like watching old steam engine trainwreck pileups on youtube also. Same mindset.

Shouldn't you be more precise? Surely you meant to say WHITE Texans and southerners, you can't possibly mean to include all of the blacks, hispanics, and other minority groups that live in Texas and the South? :rolleyes:

And they are not defending ""third world shittiness" as you say, merely pointing out a fact, that the USA is in no way, shape, or form a third world country.

You seem to often berate others for a lack of culture, when it is obvious you have never actually been to a third world country, or perhaps even outside the *US.

And what is it with you and small towns? Why must everyone conform and live to your ideals? You really are an extremely small minded person.

* Canada doesn't count. :colbert:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And right on cue, the Texans and southerners come in to defend third world shittiness.

I get a lot of amusement out of this forum sometimes. :)

But then I like watching old steam engine trainwreck pileups on youtube also. Same mindset.

If this is a third world country you wouldn't be posting because you wouldn't have a computer or internet access. Instead you'd be farming for the bare minimum to survive or eat dirt. Get to work!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
If this is a third world country you wouldn't be posting because you wouldn't have a computer or internet access. Instead you'd be farming for the bare minimum to survive or eat dirt. Get to work!

Don't even try with that guy...he doesn't even seem to espouse the views of the communists that he idolizes with his avatars.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
this is stupid..

now i think we are a bit barbaric when it comes to illegal/legal substances that affect your perception...this is true...

but that can all be changed, and will..

other than that.. USA has great culture... it may be in it's infancy the way it will turn out 100 years from now (it will be amazing) now it may look like a clusterfuck.. but from the shit comes a flower... we know this.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Personally I'd rate the ban on smoking in public places probably the single best improvement in living conditions/quality of life our society has made in the last half century (followed by widespread adoption of the internet).

Many of you are probably too young to remember what it was like to go out to a good dinner somewhere being forced to breath down multiple persons' after dinner ciggies, or coming back from the bar smelling like an ashtray (as opposing to smelling like a distillery, which is what God intended).

I'll admit the USA has problems (dismal school standards and fundamentalist no-nothings in government being currently among the worst) but I still think our society compares very favorably to any others in the world-espeically considering the size and diversity of our population.

Hong Kong makes it's money as a spigot for Red China-that could change literally overnight if China decided to put it's boot down.

some of us like that.... smoking bans suck.. but.. shit.. if it's to make our neighbor feel better about our public spaces.. ok.. i'll smoke somewhere else.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
So the fact that we can't drink in public and there are no smoking lounges in airports is proof of America being a 3rd world country how?

Hey, I'm happy smoking is going away. I watched my dad die of lung cancer. I hate smelling smoke. I'd love to change the way we define who can smoke: you must be born on 8/27/1994 or earlier to buy or smoke cigarettes. Younger, and it is illegal. Great way to allow current people to continue, and prevent future people. But that's one of my main pet peeves in life, smelling smoke.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
369jq6.jpg

Of course a bunch of drunks come in here and claim smoking laws are the best thing we've done in the past few decades. Drunk driving, much?

If this is a third world country then the rest of the world must be a ton nicer than I thought it was.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i have been to several 3rd world countries and any asshat who calls the US a 3rd world country is a moron.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Places still do this? Granted I have only been to Europe recently but the last two times I have gone I've visited 6 countries and I have 0 stamps to show for it. They all just look at it and then hand it back :(

you have to ask for it to be stamped. if you are lucky they can find the stamp lol.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Places still do this? Granted I have only been to Europe recently but the last two times I have gone I've visited 6 countries and I have 0 stamps to show for it. They all just look at it and then hand it back :(

Parts of Europe are different thanks to the Schengen agreement.

The rest of the world stamps your passport upon entry.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Please. America has always had it problems. Slavery, Child Labor, Destruction of Native Americans, etc. We are not suddenly the worst generation ever. We are just dealing with different problems. Stupid "nostalgic" stuff like that makes me sad and makes me think someone writing it doesn't read up on history.

The point was that yes we will always have problems, but some of the most basic measuring blocks have skyrocketed downward as was stated in the video (from the first episode of The Newsroom). Education for instance has drastically went in the wrong direction since the creation of the Department of Education. Family values has shrunk, manufacturing, and other things has went in the wrong direction.

Americans keep saying they are the best country on earth because of freedom but are all other countries not free? Unemployment, entitlement numbers has went up (not including the rescession), and all sorts of things we as a country used to brag about when claiming to be the greatest country on earth.

From my perspective as Carlin would say the only thing we are truly good at anymore is war.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I think many people take our relatively good police, fire dept., road, power, water and trash services for granted.

Much of the infrastructure is aging and some of it really needs to be replaced, but we are a long ways from a true 2nd or 3rd world country.

If you kill Medicare, social security and public education we would definitely be a step closer, but I don't think that will happen.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I think many people take our relatively good police, fire dept., road, power, water and trash services for granted.

Much of the infrastructure is aging and some of it really needs to be replaced, but we are a long ways from a true 2nd or 3rd world country.

If you kill Medicare, social security and public education we would definitely be a step closer, but I don't think that will happen.

If we were a third world country, other countries must have hover cars and personal airplanes, and can create food from nothing but a single seed!
:colbert:

Yongsta

Mar 6, 2005
Having visited a number of countries, America is far from being a third world country. It's very comfortable and the standard of living is really high and I enjoy having such luxuries of having a big kitchen, central air, big bathroom, large living space, etc. Some places the garbage is just littered in the streets and the sewage system is gross. In some hot climates, there's no AC and you just make do with a fan. Don't take these luxuries for granted.

However, I would say that it's first world peers are advancing faster in a lot of areas (education, transportation systems, health care systems, etc.) and the gap seems to be increasing.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Parts of Europe are different thanks to the Schengen agreement.

The rest of the world stamps your passport upon entry.

An - interesting. Thanks

Unemployment, entitlement numbers has went up (not including the rescession)

:confused: Unemployment was around 4.6% in 2007 and, prior to the recession the 1996-2007 time frame had lower unemployment than the 1975-1996 time frame

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
For those who think the US is so bad, might I suggest THIS forum? It will surely help you find the country of your dreams!