America has one political party — The Plutocracy Party

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Which means you're a fan of elitist fantasy.
Another drive-by banality. Oh goodie.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's an irrefutable fact that intelligence is highly heritable. It's not special parenting or diet, for instance, that caused a Middle Eastern couple in California to have not one but two genius children.

What is also irrefutable is that it's ridiculous for genius-grade sperm and eggs to be treated as if they're equivalent to average sperm and eggs. And yet that's precisely what happens for the most part because of people living a fantasy where all people are of equivalent intelligence. It's also a sad consequence of our society's absurd net worth as measure of person quality rather than intelligence "thing".

My posting is about replacing fantasy with science-based policy.

Go ahead and cry into your cornflakes about elitism until the cows come home but those two kids are geniuses and you're not and never will be.

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I'm a fan of eugenics. It won't do everything, of course, but having a higher percentage of intelligent people means a larger pool of potential rationality. Yes, there will be more smart crooks but I bet there is data to support the idea that more intelligence in humans is actually better than less, even though it's our intelligence that's responsible for our ecological destructiveness. What we need to do is rise above our current level of consumption/waste/exploitation ideology and that takes more than education. It takes the intelligence to make use of it and improve upon it.

Like communism, eugenics has been horribly misused. Involuntary sterilization, warehousing, and things like that are all unnecessary. Things like encouraging high-IQ people to donate sperm, changing the laws so that such donors who donate privately aren't ripe for child support predators, and many other changes can be helpful. Change the tax code to incentivize sperm donation and parenting by high-IQ men. Do the same for reproduction and egg donation for high-IQ women. Make gifted education mandatory in schools. It's not. It's mandatory to provide educational intervention for stupid kids but not mandated to provide improved educational opportunities for smart ones. (This is, in my view, a way of dumbing-down public education so that privately-educated elites have less competition and so they can grab more tax money with voucher programs.) Stop celebrating sports "heroes" in schools and celebrate smart people instead.

Reduce the working day so people can spend more time tutoring their kids and stimulating their minds. Research has shown that the eldest child tends to have the highest IQ because of more time with parents (and probably improved sperm and egg quality due to the youthfulness of the parents).

Encourage teenage boys with high IQs to donate sperm as well as teenage girls (to donate eggs). Both are at their peak of quality when people are young. Our Puritanical fear of teenage sexuality needs to be put aside in favor of rational policy. Yes, we don't want teenage girls to get pregnant but they should stockpile eggs if they have high IQs for their own use later even if they don't allow others to use them. But it's a good idea to do that as well. The same goes for sperm. The older a man is the more defects his sperm will have, defects that can lead to lower offspring IQ. High-IQ boys should be able to store their sperm for use later in life, particularly since intelligent people tend to put off child-rearing so they can complete a lot of education and career development.

One thing education can do is stop enabling people to erroneously believe in the virtue of "normal" and "average". Little girls who want to be princesses don't yearn to be normal or average so why is it that the first thing people do when faced with something different, like gayness, is to argue in favor of whatever the average is? There is a lot of cognitive dissonance in culture about this. Simultaneously people worship the average and hope that they're better than it (and their kids, too).

De-fund school contact sports like football. Football causes brain damage and is a colossal waste of time and money. Soccer also needs to ban "heading" the ball. Only sports that don't cause brain damage, like tennis and swimming, should be part of school sports programs. I would also require that everyone who is a member of a school sport be the member of an academic team, like the chess team. Ironically, weight lifting is correlated with improved intelligence because exercise increases capillary blood flow. However, one should avoid polluted protein supplements. Chinese whey, for instance, is laden with heavy metals that impair IQ.

Institute prohibition for public college campuses. Binge drinking has no place in higher education. I favor a zero tolerance for alcohol at universities for undergraduates. I've seen my local university. It's deplorable. Sorority chicks vomiting against the sides of buildings, people dying from drinking too much water, and people constantly falling into bushes and passing out... It's not education. It's a farce. This is one thing Mormons have right. It's too bad about the silly religion thing, though.

Legalize genetic engineering for the purpose of enhancing IQ — but in a way that is designed to not legitimize greatly risking things like schizophrenia with experimentation since that is highly unethical. (I say greatly because schizophrenia is already correlated with high IQ, particularly in people who are left-handed and especially in the smaller subset of those who process speech in the opposite side of the brain as 80% of everyone else.)

Anyway, there are a lot of things that can be done to enhance our collective intelligence. Minimize pollution. Minimize people not getting enough sleep. Increase the importance of the extended family (e.g. research shows that kids that spend a lot of time with their grandmothers have higher IQs). Improve nutrition. Improve exercise levels. Reduce commutes. Improve television with things like academia channels (we have C-SPAN but no academia equivalents). Get people involved in educational gaming instead of having most of that be boring or superficial. Stop condemning teachers/education in order to promote policy that takes tax money out of public education and puts it into private pockets. etc.

And, yes, higher education should be free for anyone below an upper-middle class wealth level. All undergraduate programs should be liberal arts, too. People can, and should, specialize in graduate school. Courses in logic, critical thinking, brainstorming/inventiveness/creativity, world history, international ancient-to-present philosophy, psychology/sociology/anthropology, biology... Everyone should take these. However, I would ban double and triple majoring — excessive credit hours. Quality, not quantity, should be the imperative. College students should not have to be sleep-deprived to chase As. I would dump the A-F grading system and make everything pass-fail.

America would also be better-served by having the federal government be broken up. Geographical isolation makes Washington far too insulated from people in places like Oregon. Unless you're rich you can't influence policy by going to stand on Capital Hill to protest, can you? An isolated bureaucratic machine is likely to be out-of-touch with the needs of the general population — more likely to serve itself and a smaller subset of people. We should look at the Scandinavian model — small nations that invest in their people.

Arguably worthwhile end goal if questionable methods, but there's the very interesting case of the Institute for Advanced Study, where it's humored genius goes to die, the sort of joke that's funny because it's true. One guy who noticed this was R. Feynman who posited that potential is cultivated instead through some adversity, citing examples where the need to explain complex concepts to average students motivated greater discoveries, and that without these pressures talent for whatever reason doesn't blossom.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's an irrefutable fact that intelligence is highly heritable. It's not special parenting or diet, for instance, that caused a Middle Eastern couple in California to have not one but two genius children.

What is also irrefutable is that it's ridiculous for genius-grade sperm and eggs to be treated as if they're equivalent to average sperm and eggs. And yet that's precisely what happens for the most part because of people living a fantasy where all people are of equivalent intelligence. It's also a sad consequence of our society's absurd net worth as measure of person quality rather than intelligence "thing".

Go ahead and cry into your cornflakes about elitism until the cows come home but those two kids are geniuses and you're not and never will be.

Raw intelligence isn't the measure of a person's worth. Trump, for example, is a genius of a con man. The robber barons weren't stupid. You won't make humanity better by making it smarter or by attributing too much to that quality alone. There are matters of character & talent that transcend intelligence entirely.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
De-fund school contact sports like football. Football causes brain damage and is a colossal waste of time and money. Soccer also needs to ban "heading" the ball. Only sports that don't cause brain damage, like tennis and swimming, should be part of school sports programs. I would also require that everyone who is a member of a school sport be the member of an academic team, like the chess team. Ironically, weight lifting is correlated with improved intelligence because exercise increases capillary blood flow. However, one should avoid polluted protein supplements. Chinese whey, for instance, is laden with heavy metals that impair IQ.

Institute prohibition for public college campuses. Binge drinking has no place in higher education. I favor a zero tolerance for alcohol at universities for undergraduates. I've seen my local university. It's deplorable. Sorority chicks vomiting against the sides of buildings, people dying from drinking too much water, and people constantly falling into bushes and passing out... It's not education. It's a farce. This is one thing Mormons have right. It's too bad about the silly religion thing, though.

In other words remove anything that can give humans any pleasure in existence. Sounds like a real heaven on earth you got there....

Wouldn't the world be better off if humans were dumbed down to the level of chimps? Wouldn't the overall happiness of humanity skyrocket if that were to happen?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
In other words remove anything that can give humans any pleasure in existence. Sounds like a real heaven on earth you got there....

An existence in which the only possible pleasures are sports and alcohol is pretty pathetic, in my humble opinion at least ;)

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
An existence in which the only possible pleasures are sports and alcohol is pretty pathetic, in my humble opinion at least ;)

Those are the ONLY two things that have given any pleasure to my life (along with girls). I still replay the 3 touchdowns I scored in one football game when I was 15. That one day is eons ahead of the last 10 years of my life combined.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That means nothing to me, maybe it means something to you. Near as I can tell it's a pollution of the thread, nothing more. Answer my point or shut up. I said the GOP appear to be the party of plutocracy, their platform proves that. The Dems at least declare they'll make the super rich pay for some things that need doing and that people making less than 250k/year won't have their taxes raised. Who do you believe????????

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Those are the ONLY two things that have given any pleasure to my life (along with girls). I still replay the 3 touchdowns I scored in one football game when I was 15. That one day is eons ahead of the last 10 years of my life combined.
Well, you might consider the possibility that there are other things in life than reliving your memories, just saying.

Reactions: MajinCry

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I can understand keeping sports to an extent, but the more important point is not turning it into a defining point in a child's life when 99.9% of them will not end up with any kind of career on the field. Anecdotal, but a lot of Europeans I've spoken with online (especially Eastern; Brits still have their whole hooligan thing) seem baffled with America's football culture, like they can't believe that homecoming is even a thing or that playing sports has any kind of significant status value. I don't see why sports are a necessary component of schools. I'm not one of those nerds that hates jocks (my only problems in school came from other nerds that wished they were cool and over-compensated), but the primary thing taught through sports in America is tribalism/team-loyalty, not anything intellectual. People that want to do sports should be welcome to, but it doesn't need to be a multi-million dollar industry at the high school level, only to churn out a bunch of people that feel like the next 60 years of their life will never live up to that adolescent peak.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I can understand keeping sports to an extent, but the more important point is not turning it into a defining point in a child's life when 99.9% of them will not end up with any kind of career on the field. Anecdotal, but a lot of Europeans I've spoken with online (especially Eastern; Brits still have their whole hooligan thing) seem baffled with America's football culture, like they can't believe that homecoming is even a thing or that playing sports has any kind of significant status value. I don't see why sports are a necessary component of schools. I'm not one of those nerds that hates jocks (my only problems in school came from other nerds that wished they were cool and over-compensated), but the primary thing taught through sports in America is tribalism/team-loyalty, not anything intellectual. People that want to do sports should be welcome to, but it doesn't need to be a multi-million dollar industry at the high school level, only to churn out a bunch of people that feel like the next 60 years of their life will never live up to that adolescent peak.

Sports have some value because they teach how to fulfill a competitive drive, ie improvement for success.

Of course the nature of the lesson doesn't have to be physical, but so it goes.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
That means nothing to me, maybe it means something to you. Near as I can tell it's a pollution of the thread, nothing more.
It's not complicated. Politicians lie. The Dems have pretended to be populist for decades and haven't been since a guy named Patman was kicked out of heading his committee.
Answer my point or shut up.
I did. You just failed to comprehend it.
I said the GOP appear to be the party of plutocracy, their platform proves that. The Dems at least declare they'll make the super rich pay for some things that need doing and that people making less than 250k/year won't have their taxes raised. Who do you believe????????
I had hoped to give you the benefit of the doubt, that your original post was ironic. Instead, you're just trying to rebut everything I wrote, including all the evidence behind it, by claiming that what a political group says it stands for actually is what it stands for.

Lame.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
One guy who noticed this was R. Feynman who posited that potential is cultivated instead through some adversity, citing examples where the need to explain complex concepts to average students motivated greater discoveries, and that without these pressures talent for whatever reason doesn't blossom.
Necessity is the mother of invention wasn't coined by him. However, it's a false dilemma to believe that adversity needs to be artificial resource scarcity caused by enabling/fostering a parasitic economic elite. We don't need to artificially create inducements, particularly those that are socially corrosive.

Humans are fully capable of creating the adversity (necessity) necessary for generating innovation without seeking destructive factors like war and plutocracy. Anyone who has worked hard at a hobby understands this.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Raw intelligence isn't the measure of a person's worth.
"Raw" intelligence? What is that?
Trump, for example, is a genius of a con man. The robber barons weren't stupid. You won't make humanity better by making it smarter or by attributing too much to that quality alone.
I already pointed out that having a higher percentage of intelligent people will lead to their being more intelligent crooks. That still doesn't trump the fact that more intelligence in humanity means more rationality. Plus, it can be argued that crooks simply lack adequate intelligence — their intellectual shortcomings being precisely what are responsible for their crooked natures.

The notion that intelligence is harmful is one I reject. More intelligence, not less, is the recipe for our success.
There are matters of character & talent that transcend intelligence entirely.
Transcendence is religious gobbledygook.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
A predictably lazy and inaccurate attempt to defend the status quo.

I guess ignorance is bliss.
Wouldn't the world be better off if humans were dumbed down to the level of chimps? Wouldn't the overall happiness of humanity skyrocket if that were to happen?
Look up Williams Syndrome. Your sort of happiness has a high price tag.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
I think sports are great, as long as they don't cause brain damage or other major physical harm.

The notion that increasing collective intelligence has to be joyless is false dilemma hyperbolic nonsense. Rational policies increase happiness rather than take it away. This is why intelligent people are generally more able to pursue long-term happiness despite the short-term happiness costs. My post also tries to balance those short-term hardships because I'm critical of the idea of living for the future instead of also being able to enjoy the present.

An example of that is how I said the A-F grading system should be replaced by pass-fail. That is a way to reduce student stress. Similarly, students would be prohibited from taking excessive credit hours and more than one major. Quality not quantity. This is another way to improve happiness. I've seen so many bad coping mechanisms, like drinking, at universities — among students who think it's something to brag about that they're taking 21 credit hours and sleeping three hours a night.

Another cause of the drinking is our culture's relentless indoctrination of people into being sexually repressed/inhibited/nervous. College students abuse alcohol because they are so unprepared to frankly ask for intimacy and sex. One study, for instance, found that on three difference campuses not one female student said yes when propositioned for sex by a stranger (another college guy). 0% in three campuses! Yes, the majority of men said yes to women propositioning them. The women said the men seemed "creepy and desperate" while the men said the women seemed "confident and were likely skillful in bed". Our culture promotes repression in order to get people to displace their sexual drive into purchases on credit cards and such. Consumerism is supposed to satisfy our erotic desires. If not then we binge drink until we puke by the sides of buildings and are pulled out of hedges in the public square by police.

I'm sure some think that sort of college experience is fun but there is a lot more happiness to be found without hangovers, vomiting, etc. I'm not anti-alcohol. It has its time and place. Its time and place is when people have graduated from college and want to have a glass of wine or bottle of beer with dinner, or karaoke/clubbing, parties... whatever. By that point in life most people have managed to become responsible and they've completed their intense studies, a time when alcohol impairment is the most counterproductive. The human brain is also not fully mature until the early 20s. It's not a good time for drinking.

No, I think people should have lots of fun. Shorter work days. Fewer credit hours. Easier sex. Smart efficient behavior. There's nothing wrong with sports, as long as they're balanced with other things in life. Devoting huge school budgets to football, a sport that causes permanent brain damage, is wrong. It's also wrong when a university like mine spends so much on facilities and such for team sports like football and doesn't provide adequate sporting infrastructure for the general student population (like decent tennis and badminton facilities).

Last edited:

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Sports have some value because they teach how to fulfill a competitive drive, ie improvement for success.

Of course the nature of the lesson doesn't have to be physical, but so it goes.
Exercise is good for intelligence. It causes higher capillary blood flow and reduces stress.

I would require people to be more active in schools. For instance, at the undergraduate level, everyone would either be in some sort of exercise/sports class or in an active team sport at all times throughout their studies— At least four days a week of at least moderate-intensity exercise. I would also put in more standing desks, since those have been linked to improved health and exercise alone isn't enough to outweigh spending too many hours being sedentary.

The no-sleep, no-exercise, 25 credit hour, binge drinking + sex on weekends undergraduate model needs to go the way of the dodo along with the adult 60 minute commute each way in heavy traffic to an 8+ hour job model.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
A predictably lazy and inaccurate attempt to defend the status quo.

I guess ignorance is bliss.

Look up Williams Syndrome. Your sort of happiness has a high price tag.

That isn't the level of chimp. I am talking about the loss of self-awareness, the loss of the ability to manipulate the environment, etc.... Intelligence appears to be inversely related to human happiness. Is your vision of the future a land filled with suicidal geniuses?

I WISH I were ignorant. I WISH I didn't know that life was objectively meaningless. I WISH I didn't know that I am going to face death all alone in abject terror and pain. Spend any amount of time in nursing home and it is pretty damn obvious what your future will be. Everything you do in your life is basically an attempt to distract you from this.

Since there is no ultimate goal or purpose to humanity, what could possibly be achieved by artificially increasing human intelligence on earth? There are still going to be plenty of mindless drudge jobs that people are going to need to do. Do you think Einstein would have been happy cleaning toilets?

13551629_896955853767549_485538479_n.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not complicated. Politicians lie. The Dems have pretended to be populist for decades and haven't been since a guy named Patman was kicked out of heading his committee.

I did. You just failed to comprehend it.

I had hoped to give you the benefit of the doubt, that your original post was ironic. Instead, you're just trying to rebut everything I wrote, including all the evidence behind it, by claiming that what a political group says it stands for actually is what it stands for.

Lame.
At least the Democrats are saying they will do it. The GOP are out and out plutocrats, self declared. Believe what you want. You are saying the Democrats are simply hypocrites whereas the Republicans are admittedly out for the rich, the middle class and poor be damned. Who would you rather have in office? If Democrats fail to deliver you can at least call them out. If the GOP delivers, well, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
At least the Democrats are saying they will do it. The GOP are out and out plutocrats, self declared. Believe what you want. You are saying the Democrats are simply hypocrites whereas the Republicans are admittedly out for the rich, the middle class and poor be damned. Who would you rather have in office? If Democrats fail to deliver you can at least call them out. If the GOP delivers, well, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Depressing.... we need a socialist party.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Is intelligence the only criteria we need? Don't we have enough so-called intelligent people in power that have made the world a living hell?

This world we live in, and the two party system you supposedly are not a fan of, are really controlled by the very few. It is in their interest to keep the population blind (cannot tell real from unreal). We currently have very intelligent people, high IQs and high education, for instance; however, their utter ignorance of the reality remains. In fact, the more educated we are becoming (and supposedly more intelligent), the less we are aware of ourselves and our surroundings. We're living in our little artificial bubbles, thinking about sophisticated and cultured we are.

Also, should we not be careful of who is chosen to carry out these plans of yours? Are these people just as ignorant of the reality as everyone else or are they supposedly more aware?

Your argument is totally narrow and superficial. As if the only thing we are born to do here on Earth is to select the few supposed above average people and have them spread their genes around. What then? Will these supermen and superwomen create even more supermen and superwomen that are even more super? When will these constant striving ever end?

We have already seen how the above average humans are. We have seen the weaponry, the complex societies, the superficial way of living, the destruction of land, the manipulation of the masses through technology; all this is done by the above average people you seem to be championing. Are you saying that we don't have enough of them?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Necessity is the mother of invention wasn't coined by him. However, it's a false dilemma to believe that adversity needs to be artificial resource scarcity caused by enabling/fostering a parasitic economic elite. We don't need to artificially create inducements, particularly those that are socially corrosive.

Humans are fully capable of creating the adversity (necessity) necessary for generating innovation without seeking destructive factors like war and plutocracy. Anyone who has worked hard at a hobby understands this.

I don't think you understand his point, and in lieu of that argue against somewhat of a strawman. Nobody is arguing that war or whatever is necessary, but rather the conditions for creative discovery aren't terribly obvious. I'm pretty sure the people behind IAS aren't stupid, yet putting the best minds together certainly didn't produce very tangible results.

Also the larger practical problem with your meticulous plan is that if meritocracy worked then it surely would've succeeded at scale somewhere before.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
That isn't the level of chimp. I am talking about the loss of self-awareness, the loss of the ability to manipulate the environment, etc.... Intelligence appears to be inversely related to human happiness.
Fascinating. Let's destroy humanity to make people happier.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Is intelligence the only criteria we need?
Yes. Rationality means using the knowledge one has in the best way possible. The alternative is irrationality and that is never good, even if it has positive outcomes in some circumstances.
Don't we have enough so-called intelligent people in power that have made the world a living hell?
People who actively seek to degrade the life quality of people are not acting intelligently enough.
the more educated we are becoming (and supposedly more intelligent), the less we are aware of ourselves and our surroundings.
education = ignorance?

nope

In fact, specialization is critical as population size increases. The more people there are the more they should specialize (focus in their seeking of knowledge).
Also, should we not be careful of who is chosen to carry out these plans of yours?
No. We should put Hitler in charge of daycare.
Your argument is totally narrow and superficial.
That's nice.
As if the only thing we are born to do here on Earth is to select the few supposed above average people and have them spread their genes around. What then? Will these supermen and superwomen create even more supermen and superwomen that are even more super? When will these constant striving ever end
Nice hyperbole. I never said only highly-intelligent people should be allowed to reproduce. What I said is that it's folly to treat intelligent genes as if they don't exist and aren't useful. That's objectively true. There is inherently more value in the sperm and eggs of genius producers. Instead of a society irrationality organized around net worth (as defined by one's wealth hoard) it should be organized around intelligence.

Promoting intelligence is clearly far less of a corrupt endeavor than promoting wealth hoarding/economic exploitation. And yet that's exactly what you and nearly everyone else is content to do by promoting the status quo.
We have already seen how the above average humans are. We have seen the weaponry, the complex societies, the superficial way of living, the destruction of land, the manipulation of the masses through technology; all this is done by the above average people you seem to be championing. Are you saying that we don't have enough of them?
Someone else suggested that the prescription for human corruption is to destroy humanity. Try a new tack.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
the conditions for creative discovery aren't terribly obvious
There are conditions that are obvious:

enough sleep
enough nutrition
enough genetic potential
enough education to meet said potential
low enough stress level

etc.
if meritocracy worked then it surely would've succeeded at scale somewhere before.
That's clearly a fallacy.

"If anesthetic were to work dentists would have been using it in the 7th century!"

Reality is that humanity learns. Your static conception of humanity is completely fallacious.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Fascinating. Let's destroy humanity to make people happier.

Humanity is destined for destruction. That is a foregone conclusion. Whether humanity ceases to exit now or 1,000 years from now is completely irrelevant on the cosmic scale.

That being said I did not mean to imply that destroying humanity is something I would want.

I am interested in what you hope to achieve by breeding humans to be smarter. For what purpose? To build bigger and better weapons to wipe out humanity? I am unaware of any link between higher intelligence and increased morality (witness the predation of bankers on the rest of society). IF you were going to breed humans (which I am against) it would seem more prudent to breed overly tolerant humans than overly intelligent humans. The biggest threat to humanity is probably the fear of the other resulting in nuclear/biological annihilation.