AMD's Unified Gaming Strategy and the future of graphics

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2008
You're making irrelevant arguments. The market for "high-end" graphics (Which has already gone from $500 to $1000) will shrink and become unprofitable. Then, it will die.

And you are making unsubstantiated predictions. You could even be right, but you have no proof. Personally, I think APUs will always be second class citizens on the desktop, because as igps improve, so do discrete cards. And despite your predictions, I dont think an apu will ever have the thermal budget to rival a discrete card, at least without gimping the cpu portion.

I see a better case for them in tablets and laptops, where power and thermal constraints are much more stringent, but in a desktop, not so much for gaming.

Edit: as for price, yes there are super uber cards in the 1000.00 range, but a 100.00 discrete card is still 2 to 3 times faster than any apu on the market.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
It's inevitable. Intel and AMD are both pushing the market in the direction of iGPU. nVidia moving to cloud gaming and portables, and now licensing their IP out.

That might not substantiate my predictions to you, but I think it's a pretty strong case.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It's inevitable. Intel and AMD are both pushing the market in the direction of iGPU. nVidia moving to cloud gaming and portables, and now licensing their IP out.

That might not substantiate my predictions to you, but I think it's a pretty strong case.

It's inevitable that the market will expand, not that a segment will vanish, other than say, GMA type products.

nVidia is licensing out old tech, Fermi/Kepler. Clearly they feel confident that what comes next and thereafter will render an old uarch uncompetitive to their markets.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
It's inevitable that the market will expand, not that a segment will vanish, other than say, GMA type products.

nVidia is licensing out old tech, Fermi/Kepler. Clearly they feel confident that what comes next and thereafter will render an old uarch uncompetitive to their markets.

Old? What's newer than Kepler?

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Nvidia is licensing not just Kepler. Its announced that all future designs will be licensed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7083/nvidia-to-license-kepler-and-future-gpu-ip-to-3rd-parties

"I asked NVIDIA about future GPU architectures beyond Kepler, and the answer was pretty awesome: future GPU architectures will be available to licensees at the time of tape out by NVIDIA. Licensees can choose whether or not to adopt an architecture right away or wait for any potential revisions, similar to what ARM does with its cores (e.g. Tegra 4i uses a later revision of the Cortex A9 core). This move has huge implications."

so stick to facts. but that must be difficult for you. Its clear why Nvidia is licensing their GPU and visual computing ip. the dGPU market will shrink over the next 5 - 6 years. the ARM market is dominated by the top 3 - with Qualcomm (having their own GPU IP)and the two biggest smartphone/tablet companies (Apple and Samsung) licensing third party GPU IP. so Nvidia's best way of increasing the total addressable market (TAM) is to license their GPU IP.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Well that is news to me, thanks for highlighting the part I clearly missed.

Nice attitude, plus one internet discussion for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So now you're using the, "I can overclock my card to get the next higher card's stock performance", argument? Remember that next time someone says their 7970 will O/C past your 780.

O/C 7970 = 98.3 > stock 780 = 96.4
perf_oc.gif

perf_oc.gif

Besides, the 570 (The card that's most comparable) was $350 at launch compared to the 780 at $650. Nothing to make an argument with.

Yeah overclocking does matter. There are people with $700+ worth of GPU in their PC such as my self. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Just cause you have a problem with pricing does not mean others wont think it is worth the cost.

Let the market decide. Us on forums won't change anything.

Last edited:

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011
I think there's merit to the idea of HUMA HSA gigglehertz psoomah wants to push.

But AMD is not a player in it.
Neither will they be if it takes of - they'll be left to even less niche of only value cheap based offerings.

Which won't make them more money.
I don't get why people don't see that.

It's not a closed apple ecosystem.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
It's not a closed apple ecosystem.

It would be incredibly interesting to see another company go the Apple route with a closed system and an OS that is highly optimized towards very specific configurations. Valve box anyone? ;)

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
We have heard about updates to fix normal crossfire configurations, forever now. It's become a moot discussion point for it to keep being promised. A future beta will be perfect, release untold Titan level performance and fix all user issues from the last 2 years. AMD just discovered there were problems.

Sorry but enthusiasts that visit forums like here are smarter than that. Posters who continue to rant about Nvidia's doom and strange dislikes for its CEO are equally transparent to members.

Oh the irony, splitting your post in the middle.

I doubt discrete graphics are going anywhere. Even the computing power alone will find new uses with the parallelism it allows.

psoomah

May 13, 2010
so stick to facts. but that must be difficult for you. Its clear why Nvidia is licensing their GPU and visual computing ip. the dGPU market will shrink over the next 5 - 6 years. the ARM market is dominated by the top 3 - with Qualcomm (having their own GPU IP)and the two biggest smartphone/tablet companies (Apple and Samsung) licensing third party GPU IP. so Nvidia's best way of increasing the total addressable market (TAM) is to license their GPU IP.

They're licensing their IP, ALL of their IP, present and future, because they are seeing the beginning stages of a general movement by application and game streaming companies, the professional graphics market, cloud players and so on, in addition to the PC gaming market, to adopt HSA. Open standards, future proof, an array of fully HSA compliant APU and GPU processors soon to launch.

Nvidia doesn't do HSA. Adopting HSA means moving away from Nvidia hardware and ecosystems and using AMD hardware on an all but permanent basis (and in time ARM based HSA hardware)

Adobe is a keynote presenter at AMD's Developer Summit in November where they will discuss how they are implementing HSA and what their future plans are. There are many more major players presenting keynotes outlining their HSA implementations and plans.

ARM and Qualcomm are founding members of the HSA foundation. Expect Android gaming and applications to follow PC gaming onto the HSA bandwagon. Tegra has no future here.

With the open standards, built in future proofing, and being OS, processor and programming agnostic, HSA is looking to dominate the compute landscape into the future.

Nvidia has a very very big problem on it's hands. With it's proprietary ecosystem and having no part of HSA it will lade into irrelevancy.

THAT's why Nvidia is putting the ENTIRETY of it's IP on the licensing block.

It's desperation time. It's time to attempt to somehow keep it's architectures and technologies relevant into the future.

It will only delay the inevitable. As the HSA ecosystem broadens and deepens and more and more major players move to it, a snowball effect will take hold and roll over Nvidia.

Hubris can be a bitch.

Thread locked, and infraction to be issued.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.